Remove Advertisements

Professions

SPOILERS Discussion about the Cataclysm Beta SPOILERS

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Professions

Postby steadypal » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:03 am

tbc i was engi/bs, wotlk i am bs/jc, what is the consensus looking like for cata? has anyone looked into this yet or is it far to early? which 2 are the way to go in your guys opinions..
steadypal

Re: Professions

Postby Sabindeus » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:12 am

I personally do not change professions every expansion (or ever) but they haven't actually released anything resembling changes in terms of personal benefit for the professions, so I don't think you need to consider changing.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Phonic » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:22 am

Still Enchanting/Engineering... probably will always stay that way assuming that they keep offering the goodies for Engineers :D
Phonic

Postby Korola » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:06 am

Engineers get a taser.

Alchemists get a treasure finder.
Korola
Maintankadonor

Postby Amirya » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:21 am

I have all professions covered across all 10 of my 80s, so I don't need to change professions.

Death Knight - BS/Miner
Druid - Alchemist (Elixir Master)/Herbalist
Hunter - JC/Miner
Mage - Alchemist (Transmute Master)/Scribe
Paladin - Engineer/Miner
Priest - Tailor/Enchanter
Rogue - LW/Skinner
Shaman - Enchanter/Skinner
Warlock - JC/Enchanter
Warrior - Alchemist (Potion Master)/Herbalist
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Thornir » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:52 pm

Amirya wrote:I have all professions covered across all 10 of my 80s, so I don't need to change professions.

Death Knight - BS/Miner
Druid - Alchemist (Elixir Master)/Herbalist
Hunter - JC/Miner
Mage - Alchemist (Transmute Master)/Scribe
Paladin - Engineer/Miner
Priest - Tailor/Enchanter
Rogue - LW/Skinner
Shaman - Enchanter/Skinner
Warlock - JC/Enchanter
Warrior - Alchemist (Potion Master)/Herbalist

And Archeology?
Many fall, but one remains. - The Stranger
Men are but flesh and blood. They know their doom, but not the hour. - Patrick Stewart
Thornir

*Now with 100% more beef!*
Thornir

Postby Amirya » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:54 pm

Unless it's changed, it's still a secondary profession, like cooking/first aid/fishing.

And if it's not...well, I plan on a night elf mage and a worgen something or other...so I'll still be covered. :)
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Bastien » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:59 pm

Amirya wrote:Unless it's changed, it's still a secondary profession, like cooking/first aid/fishing.

It's still secondary in the current beta build. I don't think they plan on making it a primary.
ImageImage
Bastien

Postby Chicken » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:31 pm

I'd say for all-round being good JC/BS are going to remain the 'best'. JC still allows you to get three extra strong gems with stats of your choice, BS will continue to give you an extra socket in your bracers and gloves. As far as professions go they're the most adaptable to whatever you find yourself doing.

I doubt we'll be seeing much changing to the relative personal benefits each profession has anyway (Personal benefits as in stat bonuses and such, not moneymaking potential). They're pretty balanced right now for the most part.
Chicken

Postby Darielle » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:22 pm

The only major change is that Lifeblood was changed to give 500 haste for 15 seconds or some such, and Engy has some Engy socket thingamajiggs.
Darielle

Postby fuzzygeek » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:51 pm

JC/BS for sheer numbers.

JC/Eng for utility, when the small % increase from BS doesn't outweigh, say, rocket boots.

(rocket booting away from an enraged LK is pretty much amazing)
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Digren » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:01 pm

I've been mining/engineering since release, but I plan to drop mining for enchanting after I get enough ore to self-power-level engineering to 525. Reason? New non-combat pet.

Just stay away from herbalism, leatherworking, alchemy, and tailoring, and you'll probably have professions that are both usable for yourself and sufficiently competitive.
Digren

Postby PsiVen » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:19 pm

There's no chance I'll drop Armorsmithing, but I'm seriously considering dropping Mining for Engineering once the farmers drive mining mats back down below the point where it's more efficient to go farm gold to buy it from them instead. That happened about six weeks into WotLK, so we'll see how things go.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby steadypal » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:05 pm

well what had me thinking is that i read engi is getting a type of sockets they can put on items, i forget which items they were but seemed nice, and idk if those would outweigh the 2 sockets bs gets for bracer/gloves.. guess we wont know for sure, does anyone know if BS will get back to having BOP bs only items or they sticking to BOE's..
steadypal

Postby Wrathy » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:14 pm

Digren wrote:Just stay away from herbalism, leatherworking, alchemy, and tailoring, and you'll probably have professions that are both usable for yourself and sufficiently competitive.

I am curious if they have done anything to nerf alchemy, because i love it more than anything and will not trade it for any of the other professions if it stays in line with its relative pay off of WoTLK. As a hard core raider, the double time on flasks, and the extra benefit you get from mixology, they are just as good as the BS sockets in the current live game. If they nerfed that, then I guess I could get rid of it, but it would be a difficult decision based off of Mixology alone.

Not to mention the new alch stone which will be one of the first epic trinkets I equip.
Dakiros wrote:Hear that sound? Its Wrathy breaking Wowhead and Wordpress while he quickly comes up with the Rival set.

Avenging Wrathy - A Protection Paladin Blog
Wrathy's Guide to Gear Sets

Wrathy
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to Cataclysm