Remove Advertisements

Ret PVE Patch 4.01

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Ret PVE Patch 4.01

Postby Cronus » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:21 am

This is for all rets out there and the upcoming Patch 4.01 which is live on PTR...

I finally got my pally transfered to the PTR this morning. I reviewed all our changes and it looks pretty cool. We lost alot of spells (Seals and Buffs) which frees up our bars. They also combined a lot of buffs to one spell. Its a 2 hour durtation..forget the name.

I hit the target dummys and from what I can tell, we are now kind of like rogues and their combo points system except we use holy power. Rouges CP stack up to 5 and ours stacks up to 3. Basically you use judgment and crusader strike as your main attacks that generate holy power. Once you have 1-3 holy power points we can use Templar or Devine storm which depending on HP points, does X-amount of damage. Templar is single target and Devine Storm is AOE attack. You choose. Our seals are rightousness or (I forget the name but its same as corruption)...so the corruption one will stack up to 5 times on single target. Rightousness will (with specd talent)spread to multiple targets, our aoe seal.

So those are our main attacks. Our fillers are holy wrath which does damage to all enemys now but stuns demons and undead. It does have a cooldown. Then there is exorcism which with talent spec can proc how it is now and be instant.

So there you have it..we have the option now to be all single target or AOE which is good considering they are bringing back CC and we dont want to have only AOE attacks and break CC. We do get our own CC and intrupt through talent spec. All in all it looks like we will have some fun as ret once we get our rotation down. I had problems at the dummies finding attacks after judgment and CS to hit IF i was not full on HP. Other than that, should be fun.

Oh, one of the fun talents we get in the 1st and 2nd tier is to extend our judgments to 30y (If I remeber correctly) which ulocks templar of the just(Name?). That increases our speed by X amount if we judge an enemy..PVP Fun or PVE get to the boss quicker.

I only got to play with it for about 10 mins before I went to work but it looks fun. I cant wait to get home and try it out in PVP and random Heroic. One thing to note, I am not sure if they changed the T10 2pc Devine storm proc as it will do us no good with the HP design. Ill check on it tonight.

Please add anything I may have missed or screwed up on.
Cronus

Re: Ret PVE Patch 4.01

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:22 am

I don't want to be like a rogue. :(
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Cronus » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:27 am

Nikachelle wrote:I don't want to be like a rogue. :(

You got me thinking again...In a way it is like the rogue system but our holy power is with us and not on the target so that is way better. I used the rogue example because thats what I thought of as soon as I started playing. So I think it wont be that bad. I guess I could have used the DK rune system also, u need X amount of runes for an attack. Similar but not the same. I think it will be a refreshing change than just hitting whatever is not on Cooldown.
Cronus

Postby ulushnar » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:04 am

From what I played of my Paladin on Beta, it's nowt like a Rogue*. In fact, I got by fine just playing like a Ret Paladin most of the time, but what was nice was the ability to launch into a big nasty Templar's Verdict when Holy Power stacked up. If anything it's more like playing a Frost DK: you use your abilities according to priority, but certain procs will move an ability to the front of a queue.

*Ok, I've only played a Rogue to the mid-20s, maybe they get that way in the endgame.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Korola » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:05 am

We get yellow power. Rogues get red power.

We are snowflakes?

Seriously though -

Long Arm of the Law Rank 2 Your Judgement has a 100% chance to increase your movement speed by 45% for 4 sec when used on targets at or further than 15 yards from you.

That looks nice. Would be super if I could get to it into a tank build.

Cronus wrote:I only got to play with it for about 10 mins before I went to work but it looks fun. I cant wait to get home and try it out in PVP and random Heroic. One thing to note, I am not sure if they changed the T10 2pc Devine storm proc as it will do us no good with the HP design. Ill check on it tonight.

I didn't notice any set bonus changes. I guess it doesn't mean they won't implement something before live.
Korola
Maintankadonor

Postby Flex » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:09 am

Good thing it isn't like a rogue aside from superficial things. There's much less waiting in the Ret rotation than there is in a rogue thing, also buff upkeep has been replaced with proc watching, but the new built-in power aura functionality and glowing action bars make it easier.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Korola » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:31 am

Zealotry + Avenging Wrath + Inquisition looks like fun to me. Looks like with LAotL and these ret will have a gap closer and some burst to go along with it.

Sanctity of Battle Really nice built in buff to haste.

Rebuke Nice.

I am really getting ramped up for some of the changes. I can see some interesting combos coming out of these new abilities and spells.
Korola
Maintankadonor

Postby Flex » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:40 am

Korola wrote:Zealotry + Avenging Wrath + Inquisition looks like fun to me. Looks like with LAotL and these ret will have a gap closer and some burst to go along with it.

Sanctity of Battle Really nice built in buff to haste.

Rebuke Nice.

I am really getting ramped up for some of the changes. I can see some interesting combos coming out of these new abilities and spells.

Sanctity is a bit odd as gear changes can completely change your playing, for example going from a high haste set to a lower haste set and having CS's cooldown be half a second longer. No doubt we'll find out where the sweet spot is but that would make multiple hard haste caps. Currently watching for the Mastery proc, horrible graphic and hard to see, AoW proc, 3 stack HP means a lot of not paying attention to your surroundings.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Kelaan » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:22 am

Holy Power being a self-buff is much more friendly than for rogues. If a rogue's target dies before they use all their points, they lose them, whereas we keep our self-buff.
Kelaan

Postby Kelaan » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:25 am

We should be able to use mods like Tell Me When or Power Auras to tell us when we have those buffs, though, at least once it's not on PTR.
Kelaan

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:26 am

Kelaan wrote:

Holy Power being a self-buff is much more friendly than for rogues. If a rogue's target dies before they use all their points, they lose them, whereas we keep our self-buff.

I thought they were getting a talent to transfer their points to the next target?
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Korola » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:36 am

Nikachelle wrote:
Kelaan wrote:

I thought they were getting a talent to transfer their points to the next target?

Yup - Gold Star for Nika
Korola
Maintankadonor

Postby Cronus » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:52 am

Found this on You Tube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5K7pJIU5M8

Basically its two rotation ideas...one for Single traget and the other for AOE. Either way I think Ret will be fun if not more fun to play in Cata. I cant wait!

On a side note: I transfered my mage, druid and rogue over to PTR but since I just play them without researching them a whole lot, I dont know the ins and outs of them as I do my beloved Pally. One thing that I thought was cool for mages was if you talent into it, once you blink, you get a 2 sec sprint. Mages also get Time warp (bloodlust). Im thinkin they will be a blast to play in Cata PVP wise. Sry to get off subject.
Cronus

Postby econ21 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:16 am

What build are people going to go for?

I am thinking of something like:

http://wowtal.com/#k=7BM4MOPD.9zi.paladin
econ21

Postby twinkfist » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:10 pm

kind of sounds a little like my enhance shaman. could never get into rogues.

5 stack of maelstrom weapon...lightning bolt.

but now there is a single target totem worth using in the expac...so aoe totem and single target totem.

ret has two rotations now...for aoe and single target. looks fun.
twinkfist

Next

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes