Remove Advertisements

PTR client available for download

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: PTR client available for download

Postby Korola » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:41 am

I predict a late night for me as my pally, dk, and shaman all got copied. Waiting on my hunter still.
Korola
Maintankadonor

Postby Arcand » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:12 am

My average session length has been about 20 minutes, then I get
clobbered by World Server Down. Not sure if I'm unlucky or if
it's really that unstable.
Arcand

Postby Korola » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:20 am

I went home for lunch today and logged in. I was only in for 10 minutes before the "World Server Down" message. I don't think it is only you :wink:
Korola
Maintankadonor

Postby Bastien » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:29 am

djlar wrote:Yeah finally got my paladin copied over (strangly 3 days before the estimate)..

I don't know what to do... seriously..

Yeah, things are still pretty wonky right now. Hopefully they'll clean it up a little before release.

djlar wrote:Tried to pick the 31 pt tree as good as I could.. ended up picking 32 and 3 on Ret.. (is 35 now right).

Had to waste a couple of points to unlock deeper levels.

Talents should be fairly intuitive - at least, I thought they were. Be sure to check out Theck's 4.0 Talent Guide (WIP) for some early tips.

djlar wrote:Then I just jumped into a random heroic, was surprised how I constantly lost aggro, the abilities that share CD and having to choose what ability to use with HoPow..

Meh. It's actually not too bad in Beta, and I can't imagine the PTR being that different. You don't get any "rotational" abilities as you level to 85, so you're seeing pretty much what it's going to be like. There is some dead time, but with HW/Cons/AS and GC procs, there's usually a button to push.

djlar wrote:What's the "charged avenger's shield" does?

Do you mean Grand Crusader? It negates the cooldown on AS giving you another button to push during your cooldown collisions.
ImageImage
Bastien

Postby milali » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:59 am

My question is:

How can we go from a system where we always have a button to push to now having actual moments where i don't have anything to push!

I mean its retarded at least a warrior can spam devo, we don't even have that.
milali

Postby trellian » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:18 am

From what I read is that we no longer have a real resource that we need to manage. The only thing that's important as a resource is the CD on CS. Everything else doesn't matter. Using stuff at 1 or 2 HoPo hardly seems worth it and mana is completely a non-issue and might aswell be removed from prot paladins all together.

I see us looking very similar to DK's now when it comes to resources. They have 3 runes to manage. We have 3 HoPo's to manage.
The only difference being that DK's have some control on the speed at which they regain their resource (death runes, reset cooldowns on runes) and we don't (apart from not missing a single CS off CD).

I haven't been able to download the PRT to test (damn error). I'm hoping for some more interesting things we can do with our new resource system, be it an extra source of HoPo, have it stackable to 5 HoPo and have our abilities never use more then 3, or some way to regen OOC. Stuff like that would give us choices. I see very little things now how an excellent prot pala could stand out from an average prot pala besides hand usage which is situational at best.

Actually, how would you guys feel about HoPo being stackable to 5 and have HoPo abilities use a maximum of 3? Would that give us more choice or would we just be assumed to always have Inq up?
trellian

Postby milali » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:51 am

Okay so I played some more, I was able to stack judge, cs, cs on a macro leaving me with

avenge when up
sotr - when everything is on cooldown or 3 hoPo up.
conc at start, followed by wrath

What am I supposed to use? am I missing something here? Is there another button to the cycle I'm leaving out?

Also what happened to cleanse? we used to have it I was unable to find it. you mean we lose dispel magic now? /urgh
milali

Postby theckhd » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:51 am

The rotation is best summarized by the following priority queue at the moment:

Theck wrote:Judgement if HP=3 and CS cooldown is > 1.5s and Sacred Duty isn't up
ShoR if HP=3
Crusader Strike
Judgement
Avenger's Shield
Holy Wrath
Cons

It looks something like this (the exact cast sequence varies with Grand Crusader procs, obviously - it didn't proc at all in this simulation):
The blue ShoR is a guaranteed crit via Sacred Duty.

The exact ordering of everything below Crusader Strike is a bit of an open question (i.e. Jud>AS or AS>Jud?), because I haven't finished the code enough to run simulations to compare them. It's high on the "to-do" list though, I'm hoping to start cranking out useful numbers some time next week.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Call to Arms 5.x, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Korola » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:18 am

Wow is stamina wacked out. I know they said they were going to change it but holy lord. My shaman was 32k unbuffed (live he is 22k). His mana pool was also pretty hefty (about 8k more on the PTR than on live) I am also puzzled by some of the item stat reassignments -

Reign of Unliving had +128 INT instead of 150 SP

Felglacier Bolter had a TON more damage (624-956 iirc)

Nibelung had around 930 SP

Arcane shot was hitting 2-3 times as hard on the PTR than on live.

Earthquake - new elemental shaman 31 point talent looks like a big black pancake. (A druid in oculus asked "what is that big black pancake?" I laughed out loud)
Korola
Maintankadonor

Postby KysenMurrin » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:44 am

The 150 SP to 128 Int is probably explained by the 1:1 int to spellpower conversion couple with the fact into also provides higher mana, mana regen, and spell crit (if it still provides all three in 4.0).

I noticed that they're planning to include Reforging vendors in 4.0, and allow Mastery as a choice. What do people think of the possibility of reforging some Mastery onto existing level 80 gear? I don't like the thought mathing out whether I want crit, haste, or Mastery on my Mage instead of Hit, but it will make things interesting having the ability to gain some of the stat before we get Cataclysm gear.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Flex » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:51 am

Korola wrote:Wow is stamina wacked out. I know they said they were going to change it but holy lord. My shaman was 32k unbuffed (live he is 22k). His mana pool was also pretty hefty (about 8k more on the PTR than on live) I am also puzzled by some of the item stat reassignments

I'm guessing they're just doing a straight item point reassignment from SP to Int but since you'll obviously have less int than SP they're buffing SP on weapons to counter that.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Korola » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:53 am

KysenMurrin wrote:I noticed that they're planning to include Reforging vendors in 4.0, and allow Mastery as a choice. What do people think of the possibility of reforging some Mastery onto existing level 80 gear? I don't like the thought mathing out whether I want crit, haste, or Mastery on my Mage instead of Hit, but it will make things interesting having the ability to gain some of the stat before we get Cataclysm gear.

I would agree. Since it will give you a taste of mastery without having to give up a gear slot to an inferior lvl 81 green, just to explore it.
Korola
Maintankadonor

Postby theckhd » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:38 am

Flex wrote:I'm guessing they're just doing a straight item point reassignment from SP to Int but since you'll obviously have less int than SP they're buffing SP on weapons to counter that.

Yup. The SP ipoint conversion factor is 7/6 (hence why epic gems give 20 int but 23 sp). So 150 sp is equivalent to 128.5 Int. Reign is probably slightly less than 150 via ipoints but rounded up, which is why it's 128 instead of 129 after conversion.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Call to Arms 5.x, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby KysenMurrin » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:46 pm

They seem to have partially fixed professions for copied characters. If you had your prof inaccessible, and did not visit the trainer and learn everything before the fix, it will show as having no profession trained. Visit the trainer and you can train everything again, and it works correctly.

Edit: I now seem to remember reading about this happening ages ago about the beta, so meh.

Been playing my Mage, and Frost is gonna do some amazing damage when there is a second mob around. Piercing Chill proccing a chill effect on a second target means Fingers of Frost procs from almost every cast, and since Ice Lance, Brain Freeze, and Deep Freeze all have damage increases from FoF and from Frost's Mastery (whereas Frostbolt doesn't), that means some really high numbers.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Lieris » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:11 pm

Our rotation makes me sad. It really is as empty as feared :(

Having only one Holy Power generator really doesn't work.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to General