Building a new computer

Hardware, software, geek stuff

Moderators: laterna, Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Building a new computer

Postby Arnock » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:01 pm

So I'm pretty sure that at this point, there are toasters with more computing power than my current computer, so It's getting to be time to upgrade.

Rather than buying a premade machine though, I'm going to attempt to build one, these are the parts that I'm (tentatively) going to be getting. Trying to keep the budget under 1k for now, and I was wondering if anyone might have any thoughts as to whether this would be a good build

Case
RAM
Mobo
Processor
Vid card
Power Supply
Hard Drive
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Re: Building a new computer

Postby Tandors » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:41 am

1k you say? I'll be right back.

EDIT: I'm assuming that this is for more than just WoW. Some stuff in this may be overkill/unnecessary like the CPU could be a slower cheaper one and the USB3 on the motherboard may not be needed but it comes down to personal preference. I didn't pick out a case because I don't know what you like but with $200 left over, you can find something you like. I also didn't include Windows because you didn't have it in your list. The last thing I didn't do was pick out combo deals and search other sites for better prices. I just picked out good quality parts with a good price.

DVD Burner
Hard Drive
Video Card
Power Supply
RAM
Motherboard
CPU

Total: $779.93
Tandors

Postby Arnock » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:19 am

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that what I had selecter would be overkill for most games on the market right now. However, I've been doing some amature modeling/animation and could use the higher processing power in that area.

Also looking to contribute to the folding project.
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby Tandors » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:14 am

I used to do F@H but my computer got really dusty from being on all the time and my filters are a bitch to take out. Also, with my overclocking, until I get it stable, makes folding overnight not worth it.
Tandors

Return to Tech Stuff