Remove Advertisements

Tanking ZulJin - They want a warrior!

Nalorakk, Akil'zon, Jan'alai, Halazzi, Malacrass, Zul'jin

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby jere » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:49 pm

Dorvan wrote:Well, without trying to insult anyone I think it should be obvious that if you've got two people in similar gear, one spec'ed for healing and the other not...the one spec'ed for healing should be the more effective healer. If that's not happening, certainly something is off, whether with talents, gear, or skill.

Yes, but your post is both constructive and objective. "Your healers suck" isn't quite the response one would expect from these boards, nor is it obviously true since the healers in discussion have cleared both SSC and TK, which is why I suggested they think about their post.

And yes, healy spec'd folks should out heal non-healy spec'd folks in the same gear. The question is really how much. Some attest to the fact that prot "can't heal at all", which hasn't been my experience. I heal well enough to make a difference on encounters (though I am sure someone will post that my healers must suck lol).
jere

Re: Tanking ZulJin - They want a warrior!

Postby Rainge » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:13 am

Slamdorff wrote:In general I get fine credit in guild and get to tank everything I like(3/5 TK 3/6 SSC). But for ZJ RL want a warrior.

Straight up "tank damage" is only an issue through phases 1 and 2 - which are the easiest to get through.

Phase 3 and beyond, pallies shine. Pinch-heal from in a bubble in phase 3, and possibly keep a JoL up on him (just don't whack on him all the time, just every once in a while to keep the judgement from falling off) for the melee. Phase 4, you bring an extra BoP to save a squishie with. Phase 5, you can reduce the amount of healing needed for one party by switching to your Fire resist aura - it's not a lot, but it certainly takes the edge off the damage.
Rainge

Postby Slamdorff » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:12 am

Thx for all the good answers. They align to what I believed - that we are just as good as the next tank.

What will happen when you BoP a Claw Charged player in phase 4?
ZJ stops attack? ZJ continues attack with no effect? or ZJ move to another player and restart/finish the begun Claw Charge? Has anybody noticed that?

I feel certain he will dish out a chest when I put him to the ground:)

Now that we are in ZA - is solotanking bear or lynx a proven possibility? Anyone been there, done that?
Slamdorff

Postby gwayne » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:46 am

Slamdorff wrote:Now that we are in ZA - is solotanking bear or lynx a proven possibility? Anyone been there, done that?

Not if you are anywhere near the right gear level. The mangle debuff on bear is pretty certain to kill you once those bleeds start stacking. Your healers might keep you alive but they are pretty certain to run out of mana.

Lynx? Well that depends how many 18k hits you think you can survive. I managed 15-20% with only a druid healer and a dead off tank last night. LoH through one saberlash and bubble-taunt through another. The next one got me though :( Luckily our survival hunter tanked another 5% and a starfire tick killed him just as he finished off the raid... Not quite as smooth as we are used to but one of our tanks was a little undergeared and experienced. Other than the saberlash there no real need for 2 tanks.
Gwayne
<CTSamurai>
Neptulon-EU
gwayne

Postby Slamdorff » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:55 am

Sure, both at bear and lynx I would have one standing in with me:) At Lynx I wouldn't consider it otherwise.

For bear I was thinking DS out of debuff since threatlead is superior - taunt if needed. But the CD might prevent doing that more than once - BoP won't remove debuff I imagine.
Slamdorff

Postby Slamdorff » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:49 am

Slamdorff wrote:What will happen when you BoP a Claw Charged player in phase 4?
ZJ stops attack? ZJ continues attack with no effect? or ZJ move to another player and restart/finish the begun Claw Charge? Has anybody noticed that?

Found on Bosskillers.com
"This mechanic works much like a Fixate, in that if his target is killed while he is casting this he will finish the rest of his attack on his highest aggro target. This damage is not mitigated by armour and can not be blocked or avoided (except by Ice Block or Divine Shield). "

BoP wont work on Claw Charge??
Slamdorff

Postby Comma » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:37 am

I remmember bop does work, and the boss goes back to you.
Comma

Postby Splug » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:55 am

If his claw rage target becomes immune to damage, he will switch back to whoever the active tank is, and channel the remaining attacks on them. Essentially, you move the damage spike from the mage with 8k health to yourself with 17k+ health. It's much less intimidating for the healers. Moreover, since the attack works in terms of an "increases damage by x" mechanic, you shouldn't have the debuff stacked as high (since one or two of the attacks would already be wasted on the initial target), so even though it's not mitigated by armor it's still less damage on the top hit.

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby Coristad » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:30 pm

Slamdorff wrote:Thx for all the good answers. They align to what I believed - that we are just as good as the next tank.

What will happen when you BoP a Claw Charged player in phase 4?

I feel certain he will dish out a chest when I put him to the ground:)

Now that we are in ZA - is solotanking bear or lynx a proven possibility? Anyone been there, done that?

I accidentally solotanked bear when my OT died during the transition. It helps if you're a dorf (3 ways to get out of bleed). The real clincher though is how OP your healers are. They need to do massive HPS to sustain you through bleeds you can't escape from. It helped us a lot when I called out that I was bleeding with everything on CD. Nightmare seeds and Ironshield pots are important as they can make the most of overheals and reducing damage.

I watched a Druid solotank Lynx after I took saber lashes in rapid succession without healing-- it was pretty impressive, but again all made possible by our leet heal squad.
Coristad

Postby Warrender » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:14 pm

Coristad wrote:I watched a Druid solotank Lynx after I took saber lashes in rapid succession without healing

Coristad wrote:-- it was pretty impressive, but again all made possible by our leet heal squad.

:lol:
Warrender
Maintankadonor

Postby Myotis » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:50 pm

Our warrior goes dps while I tank Zul'Jin.
Myotis

Postby Marimmar » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:10 am

Slamdorff wrote:But for ZJ RL want a warrior. None of our warriors have superior gear - we are 5 tanks on par gearwise.

You will have to ask the RL why they think that thy need a warrior. After all its usually not the tank's fault when the raid fails to down the boss.
I tank Zul'jin successfuly and my raid just stared killing things in TK and SSC so why shouldn't you do it?

Slamdorff wrote:3 side questions, instead of wasting another thread:

1. Is fire resistance aura making a serious difference in phase 5?

2. are you all keeping the 2. tank for ZJ?

3. In general: Where will the Autoblocker make me a happy man and should I spend badges on it right away or maybe wait for Hyjal? Right now I dont have encounters I cant handle.

1.) Yes, resistance makes a huge difference, it reduces damage very often by a quarter to half.
2.) Shure, he's a feral and does decent DPS.
3.) I consider buying that toy as well but right now I'm having trouble staying crit immune because of all the block and avoidance gear so it's not that important for me right now.
Marimmar

Previous

Return to Zul'aman