Cooking with Maintankadin

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Cooking with Maintankadin

Postby katraya » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:15 am

I'm trying to lose a significant amount of weight by next summer so I have been trying to eat better. I recently pulled out my South Beach Diet cookbook and have started making some recipes from there. last night I made this:

5-Spice Salmon
1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated lime peel
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
4 teaspoons finely chopped fresh ginger
1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder*
1 pound salmon steaks, cut into 4 equal pieces

Those are the amounts the recipe called for. I used one large piece of salmon and just added ingredients to taste.

Marinate salmon for at least 30 minutes. The recipe says to grill it but I just threw it in a 400 degree oven for about 20 minutes.

*Chinese 5-Spice Powder is fennel, cloves, cinnamon, star anise, and Szechuan peppercorn. I found it easily at my grocery store and I have seen several recipes call for it.

I served this with brown rice and spinach sautéed with garlic. The whole meal was really tasty and pretty darn healthy. Thankfully my bf liked the brown rice so I'll be making that from now on instead of white rice.

I am making a chicken recipe tonight that I will post if it is any good. I know Thalia is always looking for healthy food and I am sure we're not alone.
katraya
Maintankadonor

Postby katraya » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:27 am

On a less healthy note I have recently found a magic trick that makes mediocre steaks pretty damn fabulous.
http://steamykitchen.com/163-how-to-turn-cheap-choice-steaks-into-gucci-prime-steaks.html

I did this last weekend with a piece of London Broil. Usually, this isn't the most tender piece of steak but the one I made was amazing. I salted it for about half and hour like the instructions call for. When I rinsed it off you could really see how the meat had loosened up a bit if that makes sense. There was some separation of the meat fibers.

Once it was well rinsed and patted dry I rubbed it down with garlic, fresh tarragon and olive oil. Grilled it to medium rare, let it rest for 5 minutes and then sliced it against the grain. Way better than most of the restaurant steaks I have had and for $7 it fed two people for dinner and gave us both leftovers for lunch the next day!
katraya
Maintankadonor

Postby Thalia » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:13 pm

The most tender steaks Aergis ever made where due to us using a wooden plank to put them on in our grill. Never in my life have I had steaks so damn juice and tender.

We bought the Guy Fiorelli ones, was like 6 for 15 bucks. You can re-use them. The only thing is you have to soak them for a while in water before you put them on the grill. Great for any other meat too but we use them for steaks.
Thalia

Postby Andurin » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:29 am

I`ll be heating up my premade rice when I get home out of school around 10 tonight... And damn i`m hungry already... Maybe the burgers will not survive the evening aswell... *hungry mode*
Andurin

Postby katraya » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:36 am

This is the official recipe for what I made last night.

Spanish Spice-rubbed Chicken

Ingredients:
For the sauce:
1/2 cup white wine vinegar
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions
3 tablespoons finely chopped flat parsley

For the Spanish spice rub:
1 tablespoon cumin seeds
1 tablespoon mustard seeds
2 teaspoons fennel seeds
3 tablespoons Spanish or regular paprika
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper

For the chicken:
8 boneless chicken breasts with skin
Extra virgin olive oil
Salt
Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish.

Directions:
1. To make the sauce: In a large bowl, whisk together vinegar and mustard. Slowly whisk in 1 cup olive oil until well blended. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add scallions and chopped parsley. Mix well, and set aside.
2. To make the spice rub: Using a spice grinder or mortar and pestle, grind cumin seeds, mustard seeds and fennel seeds, and combine. Add paprika, salt and pepper, and stir until well blended. Set aside.
3. To make the chicken: Heat a grill to medium. Brush chicken breasts with olive oil, and season both sides with salt to taste. Rub skin side of each breast with spice rub, and place on grill rub-side down. Grill until slightly charred and a crust has formed, 5 to 6 minutes. Turn breasts over, cover grill, and continue cooking until just cooked through, 6 to 7 minutes.
4. To serve, spoon some sauce on a platter, and arrange chicken breasts on top. Garnish with chopped parsley, and serve remaining sauce on side.

I used boneless skinless breats and just pan seared and then baked them. The Chicken was good but nothign special. I think more of the rub and grilling them as suggested would have been better. I loved the mustard sauce though. Having the leftover sauce over rice tonight.
katraya
Maintankadonor

Postby Andurin » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:05 am

katraya wrote:Spanish Spice-rubbed Chicken

Oh my that sounds good :O gotta try that sometime ^^
Andurin

Postby mew » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:54 pm

I just discovered some frozen chicken strips that taste like catfish. This is amazing!

I need to catch up on this thread at some point. You guys always post the most awesome stuff.
ImageImage
mew

Postby Fridmarr » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:48 pm

mew wrote:I just discovered some frozen chicken strips that taste like catfish. This is amazing!

I need to catch up on this thread at some point. You guys always post the most awesome stuff.

Are they supposed to taste like catfish? I mean my initial response to that comment is...gross!
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby mew » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:04 pm

Fridmarr wrote:
mew wrote:I just discovered some frozen chicken strips that taste like catfish. This is amazing!

Are they supposed to taste like catfish? I mean my initial response to that comment is...gross!

They're not supposed to :( They're frozen (I don't know if they are precooked or raw) breaded chicken strips, and you just heat them in the oven. And they have the texture of catfish and their breading is reminiscent of catfish fry.
It's like you are getting both chicken and catfish at the same time! :D
I'm sure frozen, breaded, catfish sticks would taste a lot worse than this.
ImageImage
mew

Postby Ruex » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:03 am

Why did I read this thread when I was hungry? dumb dumb idea.

Postby towelliee » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:09 am

Easy Bacon, Onion and Cheese Stuffed Burgers - Made this tonight for my GF was amazing

Ingredients

* 3 pounds ground beef
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 3 tablespoons barbeque sauce
* 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
* 1/2 pound bacon, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
* 1 medium onion, finely chopped
* 3/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
* 6 hamburger buns, split

Directions

1. In a large mixing bowl, mix together the ground beef, salt, black pepper, barbeque sauce and garlic powder using your hands. Taking a small handful at a time (approximately 1/4 pound), shape into 12 patties. Lay patties out on a cookie sheet and cover with plastic wrap; place patties in the refrigerator.
2. Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown, about 5 minutes. Remove bacon from skillet with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Turn the heat down to medium and pan fry the onions in the remaining bacon drippings until soft and translucent and just beginning to brown. Mix together onions and bacon in a small bowl.
3. Prepare a grill or large skillet for medium heat.
4. As the grill heats, pull beef patties out of the refrigerator; top 6 of the patties with 1- 1/2 tablespoons of the bacon and onion mixture each, and sprinkle with shredded cheese. Top each with one of the remaining patties and press the edges together to seal.
5. Grill or pan fry the stuffed and sealed patties until cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Serve on hamburger buns with condiments of your choice.
towelliee

Postby Mcduffie » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:37 am

mew wrote:They're not supposed to :( They're frozen (I don't know if they are precooked or raw) breaded chicken strips, and you just heat them in the oven. And they have the texture of catfish and their breading is reminiscent of catfish fry.

Somewhere, Jessica Simpson is very confused right now.
Mcduffie

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:43 am

Mcduffie wrote:
mew wrote:They're not supposed to :( They're frozen (I don't know if they are precooked or raw) breaded chicken strips, and you just heat them in the oven. And they have the texture of catfish and their breading is reminiscent of catfish fry.

Somewhere, Jessica Simpson is very confused right now.

:lol:
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby mew » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:24 pm

towelliee wrote:Easy Bacon, Onion and Cheese Stuffed Burgers - Made this tonight for my GF was amazing

Ingredients

* 3 pounds ground beef
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 3 tablespoons barbeque sauce
* 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
* 1/2 pound bacon, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
* 1 medium onion, finely chopped
* 3/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
* 6 hamburger buns, split

Directions

1. In a large mixing bowl, mix together the ground beef, salt, black pepper, barbeque sauce and garlic powder using your hands. Taking a small handful at a time (approximately 1/4 pound), shape into 12 patties. Lay patties out on a cookie sheet and cover with plastic wrap; place patties in the refrigerator.
2. Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown, about 5 minutes. Remove bacon from skillet with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Turn the heat down to medium and pan fry the onions in the remaining bacon drippings until soft and translucent and just beginning to brown. Mix together onions and bacon in a small bowl.
3. Prepare a grill or large skillet for medium heat.
4. As the grill heats, pull beef patties out of the refrigerator; top 6 of the patties with 1- 1/2 tablespoons of the bacon and onion mixture each, and sprinkle with shredded cheese. Top each with one of the remaining patties and press the edges together to seal.
5. Grill or pan fry the stuffed and sealed patties until cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Serve on hamburger buns with condiments of your choice.

Holy fuck. This sounds like one of the best things I have ever heard of. I am going to have to make this at some point.
ImageImage
mew

Postby Aubade » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:50 pm

BUMP FOR LB'S RECIPE
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum