Remove Advertisements

New FFXIV

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

Re: FFXIV New Trailer and Open Beta

Postby Kayoto » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:49 am

Arcand wrote:Germans have the word for this: sitzfleisch. The ability to succeed not through inspiration but through sheer persistence and time investment.
http://nancyfriedman.typepad.com/away_w ... eisch.html

Gezundheit. ;)

The concept itself isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's just that it's not nearly as rewarding when applied to items in a virtual world instead of something truly important in life, in my opinion.

That was cool to learn, though. I actually find it fascinating when other cultures have words to describe things that are particularly difficult to describe in English!
Kayoto

Postby Melathys » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:05 am

I suppose its just one of those agree to disagree things.

However, you can't discount ffxiv because of ffxi. ffxiv is expressly intended for a more casual player base.

I've been saying for a long time now, that if anyone could make a game thats ffxi+wow, they would have an absolutely fantastic game, and I'm hoping thats what ffxiv is. (ie, a more casual ffxi) I mean, they've already announced the ability to change your hairstyle in ffxiv :D
Melathys

Postby Thalia » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:11 am

Melathys wrote:I suppose its just one of those agree to disagree things.

However, you can't discount ffxiv because of ffxi. ffxiv is expressly intended for a more casual player base.

I've been saying for a long time now, that if anyone could make a game thats ffxi+wow, they would have an absolutely fantastic game, and I'm hoping thats what ffxiv is. (ie, a more casual ffxi) I mean, they've already announced the ability to change your hairstyle in ffxiv :D

That's exactly why I'm excited. I did quit ffxi because of some of those things, like deleveling and waiting 4 hours for an NM to pop then have it taken by someone who just got there (though when you won it, it felt great). I wasn't able to play the game again until two years ago when they fixed a lot of the frustrating stuff, though not all.

So with this new game they are keeping all the stuff I loved and none of the annoying crap is there. Crafting is still challenging but you don't lose your materials, you either craft the item or you craft HIGH quality items, like +1's and +2's, but you don't lose your items.

I still understand the hesitation from old FFXI players because of how the dev team handled things with that game. Again I"m being optimistic because of what I've read and I think this time around they are trying to listen more per the list I added earlier. Those where all in response to community feedback.
Thalia

Postby Melathys » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:42 am

have to admit, creature design in this game is pretty wicked

need to get a pick of a crab, those things are pretty badass looking.
Melathys

Postby ceela » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:37 am

No pics as I'm at work, but have you seen the coblyns around Ul'duh? They're seriously weird for low-level trash.

As for 'difficulty', I cut my teeth on EverQuest so current WoW is about as far from that as you can get. I'm hoping 14 will be somewhere in the middle, but until they announce the end-game content we won't really know. The levelling, though, is really nice and relaxed - it's nice to log on, teleport over, clear a couple of leves and feel accomplished in an hour or so. I'm hoping that'll last through the full 1-50. Also it's really pretty :)
Ceela <XW> Neptulon-EU
Ceela | Emeta
ceela
Maintankadonor

Postby Ruxpin » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:49 am

So I got the beta installed last night, made a character, and logged in. I'm finding myself frustrated by the lack of info in the online manual, sluggish controls, and complete lack of sound. I tried playing with the in game config but the volume sliders make no difference. And since I'm only starting now I can't even view the test and bug report forums to find out if there's a solution to the lack of sound problem. What the heck is the point of having a beta test where you can't report or find out about bugs? Anyway, is a lack of sound a known issue, and is there a solution anyone knows of?
Ruxpin
Maintankadonor

Postby Melathys » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:37 am

yep, sure is ready for NA release, lolololol

Melathys

Postby Brutalicus » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:48 pm

Melathys wrote:yep, sure is ready for NA release, lolololol]

out grinding one day...
"What is this strange yellow buff with a Japanese description on it? Oh, it must have been that Japanese guy who healed me while I was grinding in that cave."

three hours later...
"Wow, they should really nerf Japanese players, this buff has been on me for hours, and through death!"

the next day...
"Holy shit, it's still there, and it turned red! Wish it wasn't on me, so I could test my character at normal power level."

hours later...
*killed by a firefly, realizes gear was broken the whole time.*

There's my experience with Beta localization!
Brutalicus, Garona (Horde) Tankadin
Brutalicus

Postby ceela » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:20 am

So, I've had the C/E a day now. Sitting in a comfy reclining char playing with a 360 controller, it's a world away from WoW. Very relaxed :)

I've also been exploring. I think I found a high level zone...

(For those not familiar from the beta, I'm level 9ish which means my total HP is about 700).
Attachments
ff14-ss1.JPG
It hurt a lot
ff14-ss1.JPG (112.49 KiB) Viewed 448 times
ceela
Maintankadonor

Postby Thalia » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:02 am

ceela wrote:So, I've had the C/E a day now. Sitting in a comfy reclining char playing with a 360 controller, it's a world away from WoW. Very relaxed :)

(For those not familiar from the beta, I'm level 9ish which means my total HP is about 700).

HAHA I love that. Reminds me of the chills I got every time I ran into a goblin in a higher level zone...had to be sooo sneaky.
Thalia

Postby d503 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:25 am

Melathys wrote:yep, sure is ready for NA release, lolololol

Problem is that their stupid Config client defaults to Japanese on the first run. Not sure why they did that...

I think all the localization *ingame* has been tweaked, as I've seen some changes in the main Ul'dah lvl 1 questline. I also haven't seen the famous [en] yet.
d503

Postby Nothan » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:13 am

Melathys wrote:yep, sure is ready for NA release, lolololol

You get this error because you can't run the config while the client is open, no idea why they made it load as Japanese the first time though.
Nothan

Postby d503 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:16 am

It's in JP because he's never run the config and chosen English.
d503

Postby Nothan » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:41 am

ceela wrote:So, I've had the C/E a day now. Sitting in a comfy reclining char playing with a 360 controller, it's a world away from WoW. Very relaxed :)

How did you get your 360 controller to work on the PC? I might want to try that over the keyboard/mouse, but then communication may be a pain.

Also, what have you been doing after the leves? At the moment I'm level 8, finished the battlecraft leves and the introductory leves, but after that I'm kind of lost on what to do. Other than grind mobs, I made an attempt at cooking and got a couple levels but blew half the gil I had already on ingredients. Other than doing leves and selling drops, how else can you make gil? Problem is, I have no idea how to price things and how to see what may be worth something as opposed to something worth nothing =/
Nothan

Postby d503 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:15 am

Nothan wrote:

How did you get your 360 controller to work on the PC? I might want to try that over the keyboard/mouse, but then communication may be a pain.

Also, what have you been doing after the leves? At the moment I'm level 8, finished the battlecraft leves and the introductory leves, but after that I'm kind of lost on what to do. Other than grind mobs, I made an attempt at cooking and got a couple levels but blew half the gil I had already on ingredients. Other than doing leves and selling drops, how else can you make gil? Problem is, I have no idea how to price things and how to see what may be worth something as opposed to something worth nothing =/

You need to get the XBOX 360 Contoller for PC: http://goo.gl/5cr4 (The Play'n'Charge kit for wireless controllers won't work). If you're set on wireless, you can get the PC wireless base station too (like $40), but the USB one works fine and doesn't require batteries.

As far as what to do: You can hop over to another city by hoofin' it, and do their battlecraft leves. Your leves will reset after 36 hours, supposedly, so you can go back and do your home-city leves, and then any others. Doing leves in another city is tedious for the first time, but later on you can Teleport there to do them, so it just becomes a question of managing Anima.

If you don't wanna do that, you can always grind! The FF way! ;)

Once you hit 10, you'll have more leves and quests available (likely at your class' guild). Keep exploring :D
d503

PreviousNext

Return to Other Games