Remove Advertisements

Help me out with a WoW character model? (Darkbane's dagger)

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Help me out with a WoW character model? (Darkbane's dagger)

Postby mew » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:49 pm

I'm working on a Twin Val'kyr cosplay for Blizzcon this year. So far it's coming along great.
Here is how the helmets look so far, I am very proud of them. They're actually hard like rock, you could take a punch to the face with these on. I think they need another 3 or so day's full work and they'll be good to go.

When they are done I'm going to be adding some Buckram to cover the eye holes:
Image Going to do a few more layers of black paint for the dark one. This is just one test layer I did. Can anyone explain to me why it is easier to see through the black painted material than it is to see through the white one?

For now I have stopped with the helmets since it's a lot of small perfectionist work and I'm going to get the wings mostly completed. The wire frames are coming along very well, I want to have the wireframes completely done by tonight so I can start bulking and feathering this weekend.

So Anyways
All the while I had been thinking that I don't have time to make weapons in addition to the wings and helmets, I really want weapons. But I realized today that I could buy cheap, premade, Halloween weapons and paint and alter them as I wanted :D I am super extremely excited about this. They won't be 100% accurate but that will be okay, which brings me to my next point...

The problem is that it is really hard to see exactly what the weapons look like. I turned my account off a few weeks ago so I can't log in to get screen shots. I checked their loot tables and they don't seem to drop their actual weapons.

So far a friend of mine found a nice image of Lightbane's mace (I didn't expect to find one this nice) but I can't salvage the actual pattern on it from this picture:

And this is the best image of Darkbane's dagger that I have found:

I tried using the WoW character model viewer but it didn't have Val'kyrs' weapons.

If anyone can help me out by taking screenshots or using model viewers to get multiple angles or more detailed pictures of the Twin Val'kyr weapons it would be more than helpful!
ImageImage
mew

Re: Help me out with a WoW character model? (Darkbane's dagger)

Postby Pellinore » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:26 pm

I guess this is a good time stop lurking!

These weapons look the same (to me at least) as the ones the Twins are holding:

Lightbane's mace
http://www.wowhead.com/item=1722

Darkbane's dagger
http://www.wowhead.com/item=37721

Should be pretty easy to see exactly what they look like with the model viewer.
Pellinore

Postby Arnock » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:30 pm

http://www.wowhead.com/item=7956#modelviewer for the hammer, it's basically a recolor of that same pattern.

http://www.wowhead.com/item=35570#modelviewer would work for the dagger
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby mew » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:50 pm

I feel so honored, Pellinore :P

Thanks a ton you two! :D I was able to look them up on the model viewer. Now to try to track down similar looking template weapons online. TO THE INTERNET!
ImageImage
mew

Postby mew » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:16 pm

As of now (just from browsing one costume site) I'm thinking of these:

Dagger :
1. http://www.halloweenexpress.com/dastan- ... 19856.html
2. http://www.spirithalloween.com/product/Rb-Annihilator1/

Mace :
1. http://www.halloweenexpress.com/thor-hammer-p-2497.html or
2. http://www.halloweenexpress.com/medieva ... -2434.html
Still a bit torn on the mace, will keep looking. I like the length on the second one but I don't like how neither of them have a measurement for the head.
I'm going to a Halloween store tomorrow so I will see if they have anything in stock that I could look at. I don't trust these cheap Halloween things and would much rather buy in person if I can.

Edit: I like this best for the sword http://www.halloweenexpress.com/orc-sword-p-2435.html but they are sold out so there's not really anything I can do about that :( They also make a Thunderfury that has been sold out for the last couple years, so I don't think they even make more:
http://www.halloweenexpress.com/world-w ... 16568.html

Totally found the Orc Sword for sale on another site... Tempting to buy it, I'll wait a couple days and see if I can find anything better. I really like it and could always quickly Bondo over it to smooth it out, here is a better image, it's 40 inches long.
But I don't know if it's too sword-like and not dagger-like enough.
ImageImage
mew

Postby duruk » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:18 am

mew wrote:Can anyone explain to me why it is easier to see through the black painted material than it is to see through the white one?

It's because the white "colour" reflects the light coming through the small holes in the mesh. The black one absorbs the light coming through, so while there is less light coming through, it will be clearer and your eyes will adjust to the lower amount of light. Just be aware that if you take the mask off on a brightly lit stage, it'll be like coming out into the sunlight from a dark room.
Duruk, EU-Khadgar - Lvl85 Paladin Tank.
duruk

Postby mew » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:54 am

duruk wrote:
mew wrote:Can anyone explain to me why it is easier to see through the black painted material than it is to see through the white one?

It's because the white "colour" reflects the light coming through the small holes in the mesh. The black one absorbs the light coming through, so while there is less light coming through, it will be clearer and your eyes will adjust to the lower amount of light. Just be aware that if you take the mask off on a brightly lit stage, it'll be like coming out into the sunlight from a dark room.

Thanks! :O I had been wondering about that ever since I started messing with eye covering materials. I wasn't sure if it was because I was in an already well lit room, but every material I tried was easier to see through when black. It's good to know why now.
Fortunately I won't have to take it off on stage. I should only be up there for a few seconds. As awesome as I expect these costumes to be I don't think we stand a chance of being in the top 5.

So I talked to my cosplay partner, basically telling her "I have these two hammers, one is big and one is small, you pick which one you want and I will pick my weapon accordingly (big orc sword or small dagger)". She wants to go with the small one since it will be easier to carry so I'll be going with that. It won't be as flashy (I'm a sucker for flashy) but it will be much more manageable.
I do still have a bit of a choice on dagger though. I'm leaning towards the Prince of Persia one but I will look around some more.
ImageImage
mew

Postby Arnock » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:12 am

The hammer is a simple enough shape that one might be able to make one out of cardboard, duct tape, and a dowel rod if you wanted. Would probably be significantly lighter than a purchased one.
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby fuzzygeek » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:23 am

If you don't make Van dress up like a Valk I will be sorely disappoint.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby mew » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:33 pm

Arnock wrote:The hammer is a simple enough shape that one might be able to make one out of cardboard, duct tape, and a dowel rod if you wanted. Would probably be significantly lighter than a purchased one.

I thought about it but I just don't have the time :( I already need to get these wings feathered, get the helmets finished, make sure my cosplay partner has the armor pieces going fine, get the arm and leg wraps made, style and ship a wig, get garters and arm straps made, make belts, and if I have extra time I would rather use it to make better quality belts, make things like the skull pieces, or make the wing armor caps.

As for weight, I plan to add clips to the weapons so they can be clipped on to our belts if we want to stop carrying them.

I would also be concerned about the stability of a quickly made cardboard+dowel mace. I think I am a bit of a stability whore in my costuming (as evidenced by making real able-to-take-a-beating helmets), whatever props or accessories I use I want them to be able to survive things like getting dropped or being bumped in to.
Last edited by mew on Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
mew

Postby mew » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:36 pm

fuzzygeek wrote:If you don't make Van dress up like a Valk I will be sorely disappoint.

For anyone else that doesn't know yet, Vanifae is a no-fun-Nancy when it comes to fun.
I even offered to make him something for Blizzcon this year, maybe a Diablo III something, but he didn't want to.

I asked him recently if he would do a Reptile cosplay if I made him one to go with my Jade, and he said it (walking around and getting your picture taken most of the day) didn't seem like something fun to him :( I was disappointed, it would be super popular and we could take some really great pictures, but he is a complete buzzkill when he isn't enjoying himself.

Update: I went to the Halloween store, they don't have the items in stock yet, so I'm just going to order the smaller hammer and the Dastan's dagger online tonight.
ImageImage
mew

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:04 pm

mew wrote:For anyone else that doesn't know yet, Vanifae is a no-fun-Nancy when it comes to fun.

Boo... =(
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby lythac » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:06 am

mew wrote:For anyone else that doesn't know yet, Vanifae is a no-fun-Nancy when it comes to fun.

She looks pretty fun to me -

And hot.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby mew » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:12 am

lythac wrote:

She looks pretty fun to me -

And hot.

Vanifae was pretty wasted at that race. I still couldn't get Van to dress up in one of the racer girls' outfits.
ImageImage
mew

Return to Arkham Asylum