Question about paladin vs DK threat

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Question about paladin vs DK threat

Postby Moonkid » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:55 pm

Given two tanks with more or less equal gear, and no MD/tricks/etc for the MT, who should be doing more threat on a boss? A paladin or a Blood DK?

There are more factors involved in answering that, I know, but I'm just curious who should be coming out on top, with all things being equal.
Moonkid

Re: Question about paladin vs DK threat

Postby Bastien » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:50 pm

Moonkid wrote:Given two tanks with more or less equal gear, and no MD/tricks/etc for the MT, who should be doing more threat on a boss? A paladin or a Blood DK?

There are more factors involved in answering that, I know, but I'm just curious who should be coming out on top, with all things being equal.

On live, I would say paladin. In my tanking days (mage is now my main), I could pretty much pull a boss of the MT, who was a blood DK, given ample time on target. This was primarily during Ulduar and ToC.
ImageImage
Bastien

Postby ulushnar » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:57 pm

Strangely enough, i was pulling threat off Bara quite easily last night as a Blood DK vs his Prot Paladin. the icy Touch buff is pretty significant in the first minute of a fight.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Moonkid » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:16 pm

Strangely enough, i was pulling threat off Bara quite easily last night as a Blood DK vs his Prot Paladin. the icy Touch buff is pretty significant in the first minute of a fight.

That's what was happening to me as well. It's easily solved by just letting me have a few seconds head start (which offtanks should be doing, no?), but what concerned me the most was the DK would eventually pull ahead halfway through the fight somehow.

I had 230ish hit, 26 expertise, and using the str libram, so it seems like it should not be happening (assuming correct rotation) unless Blood DK threat is just better these days?
Moonkid

Postby Gamingdevil » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:22 pm

Moonkid wrote:

That's what was happening to me as well. It's easily solved by just letting me have a few seconds head start (which offtanks should be doing, no?), but what concerned me the most was the DK would eventually pull ahead halfway through the fight somehow.

I had 230ish hit, 26 expertise, and using the str libram, so it seems like it should not be happening (assuming correct rotation) unless Blood DK threat is just better these days?

Icy Touch is pretty insane. If he's prioritizing that in his rotation, then his threat should be through the roof.
If it is weak, kill it before it gets stronger. If it is strong, weaken it.
Gamingdevil

Postby amh » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:48 am

Moonkid wrote:

Got a log? Compare the number of Icy Touches and Plague Strikes (assuming a more or less tank and spank fight - no ranged pickups). If your DK is merely optimizing his dps, the ratio should be 1:1 (under ideal circumstances. Missed / dodged / parried attacks do not consume the rune, this this might set it off a bit). On the other hand, if he´s used significantly more IT than PS, you can start to suspect that he´s messing with you. :)

That said, DK threat is quite good while main tanking. Thrice-stacked Bloody Vengeance -> Rune Strike deals a ridiculous amount of damage and threat. If he pulls off you with the initial IT and gets a healthy avoidance streak, you should have a hard time catching up.
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Dantriges » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:10 am

He can dump four runes into icy touch with its ridiculous threat modifier. If he wants threat, he will get it.
Dantriges

Postby rgill80771 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:46 pm

So to compete against IT what would be the best way to front load. IT is equal to 2-3 shield slams I think. We have a DK in guild and he just smokes all the tanks in threat when he uses IT.
rgill80771
Maintankadonor

Postby d503 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:51 pm

Depends on the fight, but is he getting Rune Strike procs? If he's offtanking on a fight like Marrowgar or any boss from Cleaveland, Rune Strike will keep him quite high, even with a 1:1 IT/PS rotation.

I know when I'm tanking Marrowgar, well...I'm not tanking Marrowgar because the Warrior/Druid with endless rage pools, or DK with back to back Rune Strikes has overtaken me from about 10s in.
d503

Postby Fenris » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:28 am

There is nothing more to say that it is all IT "fault"

My dk is fairly less geared than my paladin,and still,using a non-IT spamming rotation with only 3 IT in it, i can easily pull better threat (both snap and sustained) as long as i dont slack on the runes :P

Then,if you chain them....6 IT will steal aggro from anyone,period :shock:
ImageImage
ImageImage
Fenris

Postby Dantriges » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:50 am

ok , we are probably not talking about IT spambuilds but still. Standard Blood can dump 4 runes into IT, frost the same. If he wants it, he gets it.
Dantriges

Return to Basic Training & Talents