Remove Advertisements

DW Deathknight gem question

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

DW Deathknight gem question

Postby Minnerva » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:38 pm

I downed LK while DW tanking on my death knight, I have some spots i can put other gems since i have a big lead on stamina. I was wondering which was better? Agility or strength on it. i know that agility gives armor and crit. while strength gives me AP and parry.
Minnerva

Re: DW Deathknight gem question

Postby Gracerath » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:47 am

Well it depends on what you want. Do you want more threat? More avoidance?

If you want more threat, if you're not hit capped or expertise capped, aim for +hit/stam, +expertise/stam hybrids.

If you're looking for more avoidance, use dodge/stam or def/stam gems.

I don't know of any DK's that gem agility. I can't find the stat weights but I don't think its a great stat for DK tanks. Its all right for paladins to use agility gems but not DK's. Strength would probably be all right but getting your hit cap / expertise caps will give you more threat over strength if you're not yet capped.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Re: DW Deathknight gem question

Postby Gerunna » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:52 pm

Gracerath wrote:I don't know of any DK's that gem agility. I can't find the stat weights but I don't think its a great stat for DK tanks. Its all right for paladins to use agility gems but not DK's. Strength would probably be all right but getting your hit cap / expertise caps will give you more threat over strength if you're not yet capped.

Yep, there's a post over at Pwnwear where they used Theck's methodology to see how good agility was for DK tanks versus dodge rating.

• Each point of Agility is 59% as effective as a point of dodge rating for avoidance.
  • Each point of Agility is 79.4% as effective at reducing average incoming damage as a point of dodge rating (you get armour from agility).
  • Therefore, don’t use agility gems unless you’re desperate for the the threat from crit (which you shouldn’t be).

So if you're after avoidance, go dodge/stam or def/stam.

If you want threat, go hit/stam or expertise/stam to their caps, then strength/stam. I wouldn't even worry about the parry from strength as 10 strength gives you only 2.5 parry rating (~= 0.06% parry chance before diminishing returns).
ImageImage
Gerunna

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes