Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

PTR client available for download

Postby luminae » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:57 pm

Evening fellow tankadins!

The 4.0 PTR client is available for download at the following links:

For US/Oceanic players: http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/ptr/
For European players: http://www.wow-europe.com/ptr/

The PTR realms are NOT AVAILABLE; only the client is downloadable. It may hang at 4%; wait it out and it will shoot up to 100%. You may encounter a bug if you have beta - the error will tell you that "The installer does not need to be applied. It requires a version of "Wow.exe" older than 4.0.0.12635, but you already have version 4.0.1.12942." If you rename your beta folder, it will clear the error.

To reiterate - PTR realms ARE NOT ONLINE; the client is nearly 16 Gb and is available for download. I wouldn't bother with character copies now.

Happy downloading!
luminae

Re: PTR client available for download

Postby Loras » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:01 pm

Also, when you go to the login screen and try to fix your video settings, it gives a .lua error. Don't be afraid, it happens to everyone and you haven't f*cked up anything while downloading :)

I copied 4 characters, it said "successful" :D Can't be that easy. Gotta wait till it's official.
Loras

Postby Brutalicus » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:55 pm

So, I'm hearing on MMO-Champion forums that some people are able to log in and dick around with holy power at level 1. Screenshots? :p
Brutalicus, Garona (Horde) Tankadin
Brutalicus

Postby kakashi » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:25 pm

PTR servers are up but you can't copy your characters just yet. However you can make a new one :P
kakashi
Maintankadonor

Postby Brutalicus » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:31 pm

Hehehe that's cool, I was just wondering because I never bothered to download the PTR so if I wanted to try it out I'm pretty much out of luck unless I want to sit through 16gb, lol!
Brutalicus, Garona (Horde) Tankadin
Brutalicus

Postby Teranoid » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:47 pm

Thank god.. the first indication that this terrible expansion is almost over! :D
Teranoid

Postby Klaudandus » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:34 pm

Zarhym wrote:4.0.1 Public Test Realms are: Live

Updated 9/11/2010

World of Warcraft PTR Patch 4.0.1

The latest patch notes can always be found at http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/patchnotes/
The latest test realm patch notes can always be found at http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/patchnot ... notes.html

General

Copied Test Realm characters are not copied with their achievement history in order to better facilitate the character copy process.

Classes: General

Many class talents, spells, and abilities have been overhauled, added, or removed.
All spell and ability tooltips will now display damage averages rather than minimum and maximum damage potential. This feature is on by default but can be changed via the Display settings under User Interface options.
Ammo has been removed from the game.
The character levels at which classes gain new spells and abilities have changed.
Many item and class stats have been changed or removed.
Rage has been normalized.
Spells and abilities no longer have multiple ranks and now scale with character level.
Talent trees have been altered. All player talent specializations have been reset, allowing for free re-specialization.

Each specialization has been reduced to a 31-point talent tree.
Players will now get a total of 41 talent points to spend.
Players will be asked to choose a specialization at level 10. Doing so will result in the unlocking of a spell or ability unique to that specialization, as well as one or more passive bonuses.
Once a talent specialization has been chosen, players may only place points in the primary tree until at least 31 points have been spent there.
The initial announcement regarding these talent tree changes can be found on our Cataclysm forum: http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/threa ... 0449&sid=1

Death Knights

A dedicated tanking tree (Blood) has been implemented.
The effects of Blood Presence and Frost Presence have been exchanged.
The way in which runes recharge has changed.

Druids

A new Eclipse mechanic has been added for druids.

Hunters

Five pets can now be stored with the hunter at all times. Any one of these five pets can be summoned via the Call Pet ability.
Focus has replaced mana as a new resource.
Hunters now start with a pet at level 1.
The Stable will now store 20 pets. If a pet is moved into the Stable, its talents are wiped.

Mages

There is now a new spell fly-out UI feature for mage portals. Clicking on the Teleport or Portal buttons will expand the list of choices available.

Paladins

Paladins now have a new resource bar.

Warlocks

There is now a new spell fly-out UI feature for warlock pets. Clicking on this single button will open up the list of available pets to summon.
Soul Shards have been removed from the game as items. Instead, they now exist as a resource system necessary for using, or altering the mechanics of certain spells.

Items

Resilience no longer reduces the chance a player will be critically hit by an opponent.
Durability: cloth, leather, and mail now have as many points of durability as plate, making the repair cost on death much closer to equal for all classes.

Professions

The glyph system has been updated to now feature three different types of glyphs. Many class glyphs have been added, altered, or moved to different glyph types.

User Interface

Spell Alerts have been added to notify players when procs on select spells and abilities occur. A visual notification will display around the character and the activated ability will be highlighted on the action bar.
The Arena Teams pane has been improved.
The Character pane has been redesigned. Character stats can now be shown or hidden via the Show All Details/Hide All Details button on the bottom left. When shown, all character stats will be visible in a window to the right of the pane. Stat sections can be reorganized by clicking and dragging them up or down the pane.
The Professions panes now have more filtering and search functionality, as well as buttons to easily link recipes in the chat frame.
A Professions screen has been added to the Spellbook to better display the details of a character’s primary and secondary professions.
Many of the yellow System Messages that would display in the chat frame when leveling up have been removed.
New text animations now alert players as they level up, also providing information on when new talents, spells and abilities are available.
Professions and Class Trainers windows have been altered to more clearly display available and upcoming purchases.
New Raid frames are now. They can also be used in place of the standard 5-player party interface via the User Interface options.
The Spellbook interface has been improved for greater ease-of-use and visual appeal.
For additional notes on Lua and XML changes please visit the UI & Macros Forum: http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/board ... umId=11114

The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby cypher » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:15 pm

Character copy is now up and working for US servers. My paladin took about 10 minutes to transfer over.
cypher

Postby Worldie » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:47 am

Well considering it's basically like playing the beta without Cataclysm, I dont see really a point to pass on the PTR ;)

How long does it take on average to download anyway? May just get it while sleeping.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Epimer » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:54 am

Am I right in thinking this is US only at the moment? Do the PTRs generally stay that way? If so, how painful is it playing on the US PTR from the EU?
Epimer

Postby KysenMurrin » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:52 am

I copied my characters and started installing, but with my download speeds always being pretty slow, I might just give up on it and wait for the patch release.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby trellian » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:06 am

Getting a "The disk doesn't have enough free space to install World of Warcraft Public Test. Please free up space." when there's 186GB free disk space on the drive i'm trying to install :(
trellian

Postby hoho » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:25 am

Assuming it uses the new installer you need to get around 2-3GB out of 16 to enter the game. Rest will be downloaded in background.
Leap of Faith:
Good news, everyone! We can now heal stupidity!
hoho

Postby KysenMurrin » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:44 am

Yeah, I'd tried to log in after it got to the "available" portion, but it was looking pretty bad, so I left it another half a Gb. After that it seems to work ok.

Edit: At level 9, Word of Glory with 3HP heals for about 75% of my health pool. :shock:
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Loras » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:44 am

Hunters are OP at early leveling. Seriously OP. Not even funny. I feel like a Terminator, don't even have to stop running. Compared to warriors, who make me wanna cry with the speed they kill stuff :(
Loras

Next

Return to General