The Bleeding Edge of TPS

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Re: The Bleeding Edge of TPS

Postby Pala » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:50 pm

Meloree wrote:
inthedrops wrote:since we cleared ICC25 in 1:40 this week

My mind is blown. I'm posting this on my guild forums. Is that for heroic modes? I would assume so.
[Palatinus] & [Kury] - Earthen Ring US
Pala
Maintankadonor

Postby Meloree » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:10 pm

Pala wrote:
Meloree wrote:since we cleared ICC25 in 1:40 this week

My mind is blown. I'm posting this on my guild forums. Is that for heroic modes? I would assume so.[/quote]

Yeah, for heroic modes. It shouldn't be too mind-blowing, though. Most bossfights take under 3 minutes now, and the trash in between is very short in ICC. If you don't actively waste time, or wipe, then 11/12 is very quick.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby inthedrops » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:55 am

Pala,

Wiping costs a lot of time, especially for guilds inefficient during recovery. When we do wipe, it gets called out and we all kill ourselves ASAP. None of that "running around trying to find a safe place to Shadowmeld" crap. Or healers still healing. Everyone stands in stuff, heals stops, maybe some DI's get put out, and we're back in and buffed in minutes and doing the next pull.

In my prior guild and in most pug runs, it's really painful for me to tolerate how slow things are!!

I bet if you search there are some threads about how to improve raid efficiency. It can make a big difference with morale depending on your guild culture (some people don't like feeling so tied to their keyboard)

We probably waste most of our time these days swapping people in and out for the misc pieces of gear they need. "can I get a port to IF? Can we get another summoning stone up? We need a melee DPS to sit for XXX, who wants to volunteer?" etc. But we did manage a couple weeks in a row of one night heroic 12/12 ICC + heroic Halion kills at about 3 hours and 30 minutes (1 hour spent on Halion wiping about 5 or 6 times)

Back to the thread topic...
I'm next in line for the 277 sword should it ever drop (our GM is skipping it to let me have it before her!!) and I've been trying every week for the 10H LDW trinket but no luck whatsoever. DPS still need the 284 LK weapon as I don't think it's dropped yet. I'm hoping to push this again before Cat comes out and try out all the excellent work put out in this thread.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Pala » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:48 pm

Oh yeah! I got ranked #50 on Festergut 25N on our alt night. I swapped some gear around (still want the H Marrowgar legs) to keep 545 defense. I'm know I can improve things still but it was fun anyway. Maybe I'll fix up my off-spec again for the fun of it. Mostly I just liked shaming five dps that were on their mains instead of alts.
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/6krkzm3aoolzda7f/sum/damageDone/?s=1778&e=2001
Pala
Maintankadonor

Postby Gamingdevil » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:21 pm

Pala wrote:Oh yeah! I got ranked #50 on Festergut 25N on our alt night. I swapped some gear around (still want the H Marrowgar legs) to keep 545 defense.

You know you only need 540 defense, right? (537 with the PvP shoulder enchant)
If it is weak, kill it before it gets stronger. If it is strong, weaken it.
Gamingdevil

Postby Pala » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:21 pm

Yeah, I know about the 540 defense but my available gear either puts me at 536 or 535 when I switch bracers. So close! I'll try to have some more fun tonight.

edit: It's like I'm psychic. I had a lot of fun and only played it cautious for heroic gunship and then the professor. But hitting 12.5k for Festergut was great. It was our alt night so we messed around with normal modes.
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/lqihohv1mihbdsu0/sum/damageDone/?s=6170&e=6370
Pala
Maintankadonor

Postby anafielle » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:47 pm

I haven't posted in here because I haven't had a chance to really have fun with this in a while. I've been working on my epeen set, but it's not perfect.

Last week I got a disgusting #110 or so on WOL for H Fester 25, which makes me sad, because I used to do better- I think more people are doing this now. This thread is gaining notice. I should have the gear to land much higher in the rankings. If I don't hit the top 100 tonight, my e-raeg will be.... my rage will block out the sun. My QQ will break twitter and the internet simultaneously. Rhi's blog will never survive from the emo post I will do. It will be like 59860459864 pages long. I must prevail. If I don't, I'll be posting here to ask you guys why I'm being such a noob.

I usually get BL after the tank swap, which is nice. Usually. Last week I pissed off our resident shammy and he threatened to stop popping Bloodlust for me. I had to make him brownies so he'd forgive me. BROWNIES. I HAD TO MAKE BROWNIES. The things I do for healers these days. Their bribes are getting outrageous! I'm not even kidding: http://twitpic.com/2nms3v.

Right, there's not much point to this post, except to stop by and say that I read this whole thread through again today because it's just that interesting. I have lurked this thread for some time now.

Meloree and others, thanks for posting all this, because it has brought some fun and amusement to my tanky life.

On to Festergut 25H tonight and my quest for the cool tanks club! I will be back for sure to figure out what I could be doing better.
Last edited by anafielle on Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anafielle, 90 Retribution Paladin in <Something Wicked> :: Armory :: Twitter

Sacred Duty: Theck, Meloree & Ana's blog

"Hold on, hold on, let me make sure I've got this straight. You're telling me that a critical part of our strategy for this fight will be to have the ret paladins go stand in the fire? Yeah, we can handle that." -- DSWarden
anafielle

Postby anafielle » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:21 pm

Whooo hooo #57! I'm happy.

Gear set & spec: http://www.chardev.org/?profile=452955
Logs: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/sh4qq7co ... 015&e=1266

Took a page from this thread & decided all my gold wasn't doing much of anything there in my bags. I regemmed just a little, just boots and gloves, and then back. (The rest of the gear with strength is either ret gear, or extra tank gear I never use that I stuck strength in.) I was a biiiiiit low on HP..... oops.

I could find some expertise somewhere too. I'm sure there's some gear tweaking that can be done.

I worked out a cooldown rotation with Rhidach - and by worked out, I mean "emailed him ten minutes before raid and begged him to Hand of Sac me at these two times." And I warned the healers... They insisted they were fine, but even at 1 stack of inhale, one of our shammies kept letting out involuntary cries of panic onto vent every time I took a hard melee hit. Ahhhh, so much fun.... what the hell are cooldowns for if you don't use them?

I fumbled my rotation a ton, especially at the tank swap. I can improve. I don't think I have the weapon or trinkets to hit page one, but I can definitely do better.

"Hold on, hold on, let me make sure I've got this straight. You're telling me that a critical part of our strategy for this fight will be to have the ret paladins go stand in the fire? Yeah, we can handle that." -- DSWarden
anafielle

Postby tlitp » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:16 pm

While there are some things you can improve on your own*, I think that you may well be hard-capped by your raid's performance. A 4.11** kill isn't particularly useful for parse hunting. :P

* in no particular order :
- let SoC go, you need 3C
- try to fetch at least a 277 (slow) weapon
- tighter queues
- normal DC/DV are better than HWT, as far as you're concerned
- get closer to expertise hard-cap
- be more careful with buff uptimes (hai there, 2.6% HoW)
** for reference, Meloree's #1 is a 2.45 kill
tlitp

Postby anafielle » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:49 pm

Ah yes I am very aware, I'm not parse hunting at all! I am capped by my far more limited access to gear and by my raid - we just got H Put for the first time tonight, so we are a few tiers of awesome down from those who get to smack Fester around with Heroic Havoc's Call. My goal is just to have fun with what I have access to... but this thread is fun for everyone, not just the bored true progression raiders.

Still fun for us mere mortals :)

I would love a 277 weap. I have a 264 Bloodvenom, but there are still rogues ahead in line for the 277. We have many rogues, and a frost DK took the first two.

Those are the only DPS trinkets I have. I maintain hope that I'll get something shiney out of my 10. The next Whispering Fanged Skull is mine.

Tighter queues need a lot of work...... I will adjust my gear to find some more expertise and my spec as you suggest.

anafielle

Postby Meloree » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:17 am

tlitp wrote:I think that you may well be hard-capped by your raid's performance. A 4.11** kill isn't particularly useful for parse hunting. :P

I think, if you really wanted to play games, you could probably do very very well on a 4:11 kill, if you had 2 paladins tanking. Simply tank first, stack up to 8, have your other tank taunt and tank for a while. Before your buff runs out, taunt back, get to 9 stacks, while the other paladin bubbles off his stacks.

But all of that somewhat violates the spirit of "doing it right".
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby Wrathy » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:10 pm

anafielle wrote: I am capped by my far more limited access to gear and by my raid.

I am with you, but not because it doesn't drop but because we keep having to gear up new people, and i would always let healers get dps gear before me, I have two prot specs, because I am a tank, while I would love to have the luxury of taking a bunch of ret gear, as a leader in my guild i feel obligated to give it to people who will put it to better use than my desire to break 12k.
Dakiros wrote:Hear that sound? Its Wrathy breaking Wowhead and Wordpress while he quickly comes up with the Rival set.

Avenging Wrathy - A Protection Paladin Blog
Wrathy's Guide to Gear Sets

Wrathy
Maintankadonor

Postby Darkler » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:47 am

Meloree wrote:
Pala wrote:
Meloree wrote:since we cleared ICC25 in 1:40 this week

My mind is blown. I'm posting this on my guild forums. Is that for heroic modes? I would assume so.

Yeah, for heroic modes. It shouldn't be too mind-blowing, though. Most bossfights take under 3 minutes now, and the trash in between is very short in ICC. If you don't actively waste time, or wipe, then 11/12 is very quick.

Is 1:40 some magical number or something?

Just remember me of Paragons vid of the 1.40 11/12 hard mode clear they released mid april :)
Darkler

Postby Meloree » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:59 am

No, it's just how long we took. It was part of a comment about something else.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby Sparan » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:20 pm

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-mpndulabbwefwspf/
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-kw7iuzttvj7idytj/

Some logs from the past 2 weeks. The parse-hunting has been going well. I still wish I had a 284 LK Axe, but otherwise I think I'm in a set that's close to optimized. I suppose the end-of-expack noodling will come to a close soon with 4.0 being released, but it's still been a pretty genuinely enjoyable venture. Thanks for turning me on to this, Mel.
Sparan

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations