Remove Advertisements

Shoju's Case Study: Fresh 80 to ICC in 24 hours as DPS.

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Re: Shoju's Case Study: Fresh 80 to ICC in 24 hours as DPS.

Postby Shoju » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:05 am

I knew it was going to be a long shot with that group. I was a little bummed that it went down that way but, I know that I'm almost there.

The nice side was getting a /2 group that didn't totally fail at Bronjham, and picking up a ret in the RDF that was just monster DPS.

With this being a holiday weekend, I'm fairly confident that I will have enough opportunities to find out for sure if I stand a chance to get in. I would REALLY like to find a way to get the neck and ring out of H:PoS, as they would take me close enough to 5k that I could claim it. The new head took me up ~40ish points going from 219 to 232, so I think getting a 232 neck for a 219, and a 232 ring for a 200 should get me pretty close. Sadly, I just don't see it happening and still having enough time to get in. I would need them both to drop in a run, and win them both. Rough odds I would say.
Shoju

Postby majiben » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:03 pm

Shoju wrote:R- I get back: GS?
me- I say: 4838, but it is a very NICE 4800.
R- Nice?
me- I have put a ton of work into getting my gear ready.
R- Come to bank steps.

So I head to the bank steps. Could it be this easy? Could I really have just gotten in? I get to the steps, and he looks me over. He says:

Look. I can tell you know what you are doing, and I would love to take you, but the raid said 4800 is too low. if you were 5k, You would be in no problem.

I say, Ok. thanks for giving me the inspect.

I head off
Here I think you could have been more assertive in getting what you wanted, at least from the version that we get to read here. Bribe, beg, or joke your way in. With my still in progress warlock, I love to use the following lines:
4.X GS in the gear in do dps in but I'll put on gear that gives me 5.X GS if you would like.
If I don't beat half the other dps in damage done, you can kick me and earn yourself a tasty 200g.

And there is much more you could use. "I was really hoping to see inside ICC this Week :-( ," "There's X in this for you," "Listen, I know X. Y, Z about A, B, C classes and make full use of that info so my knowledge score in +6k."
Now you might not be willing to use all of these in this study but consider using them to sneak in after a rejection if you get the opportunity again. Closing tips are: praising is never a bad thing even in the case of rejection and to see if you can be put on reserve while running your normal routines. Tons of PuGs loose or kick dps people early on (server dependent). I get in on a lot of callbacks.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Shoju » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:28 pm

Have succeeded. SS's with writeup coming

First 4 down. I came in 2nd on Saurfang with 7600 DPS
I have the whispering Fanged Skull and the axe from lootship. moving to plague next.
Shoju

Postby Shoju » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:01 pm

So, the writeup of the end of the study.

What a crazy night. I decided that I was going to hit trade really hard tonight (sunday) to try and get a pug. With this being the holiday weekend in the states, I was pretty sure that this would be the best bet. I responded to every call for DPS, even those asking for Ranged DPS. It took me about 45 minutes of hard spamming to find a group. That wasn't nearly as long as I thought it would take. Luckily there were about 5 different groups going.

Well, the one that I responded too was:

/2 LF 3dps for ICC10 fresh run. PST GS.

I responded with: 4900 GS Enhance Shaman. GS is a little low because of some expertise pieces that I'm wearing.
I get back: Full, sorry.

So I keep looking, and a warlock whispers me and says: You melee or ranged?
I say, Melee.
He says: What kind of DPS can you do?
Well, I still had a combat log from H:FoS in recount, so I link him the Bronjahm data. 5800 dps.

I get an invite. I'm floored. Then I find out, it is the same group that I responded to above.... Odd. They weren't full. So, we are ready to go, and I fly out.

We get in, get buffed up, the raid isn't super geared, but we have a good tank, and a killer healer. We skip through a lot of the trash, (went left side), and the rogue disarmed all the traps. It would have been cool to get the rep, but I'm ok with that. Marrowgar had people all over the place, and no cohesive strategy. DPS was a little low, and I thought we were going to wipe. In the end though, we surprisingly got the "Boned!" Achievement. I was really surprised since every was spread out.

We head to Lady Deathwhisper, and I'm feeling really good. One boss down. 3rd on DPS when the strat was very sloppy. I'm ok with this so far. LDW is just a hectic and sloppy. We had everyone on adds, then on boss, then on adds, then on boss. I have never done this strat before (We always put at least one person on the shield) But, It works, even if sloppy, and Lady Deathwhisper drops to the ground.

I was handsomely rewarded with Whispering Fanged Skull I'm really excited. that replaces that suboptimal NeScorp I was using. We head to Loot ship, and get the rotting giant quest along the way. There was an odd number of melee (3) and I couldn't get a ranged to stand with me. I'm really worried that I'm going to get Death Plague and get hosed. I get it with 180k to go on his health. I bloodlust so that I don't die :)

Lootship was long and tedious, and I forgot to SS it. They had ranged in guns, and melee out, and it made things take for freaking ever. We got it down as well, and I was rewarded with: Frost Giant's Cleaver I'm very happy. Not only did I make it, but I'm getting loot!

We head to Saurfang, The tank takes over the strat discussion here, and lays out the perfect strat for us. I'm excited, because I get to really wail on DBS here. We get a mark during the fight, but the healers are pro, and we don't lose anyone. In the process, I get Storming the Citadel, and I've gone and Made a Mess. Very cool. VERY VERY Cool.

now, as you can tell from that, I was #2 on the DPS charts for DBS. I'm blown away. I'm very excited. 7500 DPS? Holy SHIT! Well, after this, the raid falls apart. We tried for an hour to get it moving for Plagueworks. Sadly, for every person we get invited, we have one leave. I was able to snap this of the total damage done for Lower Spire.

I'm not sure if that includes cannon damage from the lootship fight or not. I configured it to not include vehicles, but I'm not sure if those count as vehicles or not. Either way, It was a fantastic night, capping off this great experience.

For those who haven't figured it out by now, my character for this case study is: Shojin The Troll Enhancement Shaman.

Now that the case study is done, I'm going to analyze the data from the dungeons I ran, and try and figure out what I saw, how many times, and all that jazz. I'm curious about the breakdown of classes that I saw, and any overlap I might have seen.

Thank you all for reading. There were times that I thought about giving up, and just getting towed. This was unlike anything that I have ever done before.

EDIT:
For those who want to make sure that this wasn't a guild run, and a true pug, you can look at the names in the Recount log and check them out. No Lurkers to be found.
Shoju

Postby Gorlando » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:14 pm

Awesome job! I have enjoyed reading your daily posts on this.
Gorlando

Postby Anorian » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:23 am

Great to see there are atleast some sensible people left in wow, some faith in humanity has been restored with this last post :)

Was fun to read your daily reports, thanks.
Anorian

Postby edsdame » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:29 am

Great work, it was very nice to read. Congrats on the results!
edsdame

Postby Chasey » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:46 am

Good stuff. Gratz on the loot, the loot gods were smiling on you finally.
Good job on the damage, you worked hard and knew the toon well.

Thank you for the wonderful read. :D :D :D
Chasey

Postby Veyronex » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:40 am

first post here. I like to lurk. but this thread was pretty entertaining.
I'm trying something similar with a rogue. In any case, Grats to you and your success.
Veyronex

Postby andx » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:54 am

Killer man grats. You inspired me to make an enhancement shammy. Very proud of you. Thanks for the sceen shots.
Maybe I just have a disease or an addiction to tanking, my gf says I'm a masochist I say I like it rough, either way I'm a tank and I can't escape it.
andx

Postby sherck » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:21 am

Well done, Guildie. Well Done.

Cheers,
sherck

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:48 am

This has been fun to read. Nice work Shoju. :)
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Shoju's Case Study.... NOW WITH MORE MATH!

Postby Shoju » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:15 am

I have done some number crunching so far. All in all, I had was in Icecrown Citadel in 22 hours and 20 minutes (I'm talking the moment I walked in the door here) after I hit 80. On the way to Icecrown Citadel, I ran 43 dungeons.

43 dungeons in just over 22 hours means I was able to hit 2 dungeons an hour, if you factor out the time I spent not in queue while searching for the ICC raid, and searching for various things like gems, enchants, and listing things on the Auction House.

During my 22 hours I was able to also complete
Exalted Reputation: Sons of Hodir
Exalted Reputation: Knights of the Ebon Blade
Exalted Repuatation: Warsong Offensive

Based on dungeon kills, and dailies.

In those 43 dungeons, I was able to group with 168 people.
7 (16.27%) of those Dungeons included class overlap. Meaning, more than one of a class. This number drops to 14.28% if you remove the N:HoR shield race I was a part of.
0 (0%) of those dungeons that overlapped had 2 DPSers of the same Class.
1 (2.3%) of those dungeons saw me overlap classes.
1 (2.3%) of those dungeons saw double class overlap. In my opinion, this dungeon was a Red Herring of sorts, because it was Normal Halls of Reflection, and I was the only person in the group not there for the shield.

Code: Select all
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Death Knight | Druid | Hunter | Mage | Paladin | Priest | Rogue | Shaman | Warlock | Warrior |
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total: |      21     |   23  |   17   |  15  |  42     |   14   |   0   |    1   |    13   |   22    |
Tank:  |      11     |    3  |   N/A  | N/A  |  17     |  N/A   |  N/A  |   N/A  |   N/A   |   13    |
DPS:   |      10     |    5  |   17   |  15  |  9      |   4    |   0   |    0   |    13   |    9    |
Healer:|     N/A     |   15  |   N/A  | N/A  |  16     |   10   |  N/A  |    1   |   N/A   |   N/A   |

Overall Population of my Dungeons
#1 Paladin - 42 (25%)
#2 Druid - 23 (13.69%)
#3 Warrior - 22 (13.09%)
#4 Death Knight - 21 (12.5%)
#5 Hunter - 17 (10.11%)
#6 mage - 15 (8.9%)
#7 Priest - 14 (8.3%)
#8 Warlock - 13 (7.7%)
#9 Shaman - 1 (.5%)
#10 Rogue - 0 (0%)

Tank Population I experienced
Paladin tanks - 38.6%
Warrior Tanks - 29.5%
DK tanks - 25%
Druid - 6.8%

Healer Population I experienced
Paladin - 38.09%
Druid - 35.7%
Priest - 23.8%
Shaman - 2.3%

DPS Population I experienced
Hunter - 20.7%
Mage - 18.2%
Warlock - 15.85%
Death Knight - 12.19%
Warrior - 10.97%
Paladin - 10.97%
Druid - 6.09%
Priest - 4.87%
Rogue - 0%
Shaman - 0%

I'm not sure what to say about these results. Part of me wants to say that you can draw a lot of conclusions from it. In 43 dungeons,

I only ever saw 1 other shaman, and they were a healer.
I never saw a rogue. (my most common roll against for weapons)
Hunter, my most common adversary for loot (outside of shaman) was #5/10 on the list, and still accounted for just 10.1% of the RDF population that I encountered. EDIT: Though, looking now that I'm breaking it down, they were my most common DPS counterpart in randoms. That seems to be an interesting development.

I think that these results lend some credence to the idea that the RDF attempts to stack itself in your favor for roles. I'm more than a little surprised by this.

Does this data also speak to how popular classes are? I don't know if you can extrapolate that from this data set, without first having confirmation of how the RDF chooses its party members. I have to think that there is more to the idea that I didn't see more than 1 other shaman, and 0 rogues in 168 potential party members.
Last edited by Shoju on Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shoju

Re: Shoju's Case Study.... NOW WITH MORE MATH!

Postby Shyrtandros » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:13 am

Shoju wrote:I have done some number crunching so far. All in all, I had was in Icecrown Citadel in 22 hours and 20 minutes (I'm talking the moment I walked in the door here) after I hit 80. On the way to Icecrown Citadel, I ran 43 dungeons.

43 dungeons in just over 22 hours means I was able to hit 2 dungeons an hour, if you factor out the time I spent not in queue while searching for the ICC raid, and searching for various things like gems, enchants, and listing things on the Auction House.

During my 22 hours I was able to also complete
Exalted Reputation: Sons of Hodir
Exalted Reputation: Knights of the Ebon Blade
Exalted Repuatation: Warsong Offensive

Based on dungeon kills, and dailies.

In those 43 dungeons, I was able to group with 168 people.
7 (16.27%) of those Dungeons included class overlap. Meaning, more than one of a class. This number drops to 14.28% if you remove the N:HoR shield race I was a part of.
0 (0%) of those dungeons that overlapped had 2 DPSers of the same Class.
1 (2.3%) of those dungeons saw me overlap classes.
1 (2.3%) of those dungeons saw double class overlap. In my opinion, this dungeon was a Red Herring of sorts, because it was Normal Halls of Reflection, and I was the only person in the group not there for the shield.

Code: Select all
        Death Knight | Druid | Hunter | Mage | Paladin | Priest | Rogue | Shaman | Warlock | Warrior |
Total: |      21     |   23  |   17   |  15  |  42     |   14   |   0   |    1   |    13   |   22    |
Tank:  |      11     |    3  |   N/A  | N/A  |  17     |  N/A   |  N/A  |   N/A  |   N/A   |   13    |
DPS:   |      10     |    5  |   17   |  15  |  9      |   4    |   0   |    0   |    13   |    9    |
Healer:|     N/A     |   15  |   N/A  | N/A  |  16     |   10   |  N/A  |    1   |   N/A   |   N/A   |

#1 Paladin - 42
#2 Druid - 23
#3 Warrior - 22
#4 Death Knight - 21
#5 Hunter - 17
#6 mage - 15
#7 Priest - 14
#8 Warlock - 13
#9 Shaman - 1
#10 Rogue - 0

I'm not sure what to say about these results. Part of me wants to say that you can draw a lot of conclusions from it. In 43 dungeons,

I only ever saw 1 other shaman, and they were a healer.
I never saw a rogue. (my most common roll against for weapons)
Hunter, my most common adversary for loot (outside of shaman) was #5/10 on the list, and still accounted for just 10.1% of the RDF population that I encountered.

I think that these results lend some credence to the idea that the RDF attempts to stack itself in your favor for roles. I'm more than a little surprised by this.

Does this data also speak to how popular classes are? I don't know if you can extrapolate that from this data set, without first having confirmation of how the RDF chooses its party members. I have to think that there is more to the idea that I didn't see more than 1 other shaman, and 0 rogues in 168 potential party members.

Very nice job Shoju :) Keep up the good work.

All this shaman talk made me server Xfer an old 45 toon to my main server to deck out with goodies..

I'll be pairing up with a resto druid so I'm not sure if I should be going elemental or enhancement.. I feel like i'm not doing anything as enhancement..

all I can do is SS, Shock, Flamy offhand thing (at work and forgot the name of power).

It eats mana like a pot head on cake!
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
Shyrtandros

Postby Shoju » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:19 am

I have to say, of all my characters at 80, this is the first one, that I would REALLY consider a main change to.

I would lose the ability to tank, but man, it is just so much fun to DPS on them, and when i was healing in the 60's it didn't seem to be horrible. I haven't healed since I was 69 though, so I'm not sure. I finally just spent the rest of the talents in my off spec, and started looking at all the OS gear that I got.
Shoju

PreviousNext

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes