Remove Advertisements

New FFXIV

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

Re: FFXIV New Trailer and Open Beta

Postby Melathys » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:56 pm

Yea, thhe equipment changing is really clunky. I also hate how you have to reassign action bars everytime you change classes.
Melathys

Postby Nakama » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:32 pm

I wanna join, but dang if I couldn't get in before they turned off giving out keys. :(

What server are you on, Mrs. Aergis? :)

--Jed
Nakama

Postby Brutalicus » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:40 pm

I've found that macroing my class switches made my life that much easier. Just make a macro with /equip main "weapon name" and /eaction x "action name" main for each action you want to bind (to key number x).

In other news, I probably won't be buying this game. There's just so much Japanese-ness oozing through the cracks of this game, it started to feel like a chore a few days after starting. I'll probably check to see what they change (i.e. speed up and refine) on release, but it's not looking too good as a long-term interest.
Brutalicus, Garona (Horde) Tankadin
Brutalicus

Postby Giggitygoo » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:32 am

Has anyone from the EU managed to download this yet?

I've been trying for like 5 hours last night and got nowehere. Tried again this morning, nothing.

Downloaded the first three files of the first update then is just stops and downloads at 0kb.

RaWr!!!!
Shutting the f**k up as of 14/09/2010.
Giggitygoo

Postby Melathys » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:15 am

the guild bought me a shield so I can start learning how to tank <3!!

thing was like 40k, lol.
Melathys

Postby Giggitygoo » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:35 am

For anyone having problems with the crappy torrent downloader. (like me!)

Get yourself to: http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/18 ... Files.html

4.7Gb download. Direct from your choice of server. I'm told from a reliable source it cuts install times down massively :mrgreen:
Giggitygoo

Postby ceela » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:13 am

The patcher is just a torrent client; I've had much better luck just pointing uTorrent at the .torrent files (they live somewhere in My Documents\My Games\FF 14...) and dumping the resultant file over the top afterwards. Even though the tracker whinges that you're not using an authorised client, uTorrent somehow manages to work anyway.

Fire crystals drop off fireflies in the caves around La Noscea. I have no clue where else to get them from though :(

Finally, who else is on the beta from the EU? My gf and I are faffing around on Lindblum at the moment.
Last edited by ceela on Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ceela <XW> Neptulon-EU
Ceela | Emeta
ceela
Maintankadonor

Postby Giggitygoo » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:24 am

Yea I was gonna try that but I couldnt figure out which torrent files relate to what.

In my folder I have 3 torrent files. Am I supposed to just get them all?

Do some not relate to updates Ive already done? :?

Anywayz, the link above is for people who don't know/use torrents. It will work just the same, just won't download as fast.
Giggitygoo

Postby ceela » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:28 am

I'm at work so I can't give exact folder names currently. I know it puts two folders out - one of them has .torrent files and the other has the actual patch files it's trying to download. It'll delete patch files once it's done with them, so you probably only need to torrent the ones that it's already got part of (they'll be full size already, because it's pre-allocating the files on disk).

Three sounds about right, tbh. They've all got the date they were published in the filename so it should be obvious if you're downloading really old files.

Melathys wrote:the guild bought me a shield so I can start learning how to tank <3!!

thing was like 40k, lol.

Yeah, it's a bit more expensive than they were in beta2/3! If that doesn't change before live then starting as Gladiator is probably the way to go.

That said Pugilist seems to be the "avoidance tank" so I'm probably going to level both for tanking. Pugilist's lv10 self-heal is very, very helpful even when you re-class to something else (though I think it heals for more if you're pugilist at the time), and they've got avoidance and taunt abilities.

(edit: less double-posting)
Ceela <XW> Neptulon-EU
Ceela | Emeta
ceela
Maintankadonor

Postby Thalia » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:11 am

Ya Aergis still doesn't know weather to shield tank or avoidance tank!

P.S. Found this article

ENABLING THE HARDWARE MOUSE
Thalia

Postby Chunes » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:05 pm

Thalia wrote:Ya Aergis still doesn't know weather to shield tank or avoidance tank!

P.S. Found this article

GODDAMNIT THALIA I LOVE YOU!

(provided it works when I get it applied to my game client).

I think I'm actually just going to scrap my current toon and build another one from the ground up now that I kind of have a feel for things. Definitely gonna start in Noscea though so I can have access to the fire crystals for the BS synths.

PS3 controller is good for some aspects of this game i've found, like running around town and such. Anytime I'm in combat though, I prefer to use mouse+wasd/#'s.
Chunes

Postby Melathys » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:16 pm

yea, i've found i like the keyboard better for fights. unfortunately, for the controller I like the camera controls inverted, which doesn't work well for the mouse. *edit* now that I think about it, when I'm setting up the controller, I can just invert the axis, so mouse will be normal.

and from FFXI, I love evasion tanking (thf and nin). But as a paladin from wow, I've learned the value of consistent and predictable damage intake. yea, I'll probably level pugilist and gladiator, lol.
Last edited by Melathys on Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Melathys

Postby Thalia » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:27 pm

The script for the hardware mouse was turned on by Cliff.

Funny story, Aergis met him when he interviewed for NCsoft up here in Seattle. He's a smart guy, and even more ironic, they guy that helped him co-develop ffxiah is in our guild and was working in microsoft at the same time as Aergis.

...living up here in Seattle has offered us the chance to meet a lot of community devs for games, including Ciderhelm who lives like 30 mins from us, hes also a super guy.

Haha this is so ironic.
Thalia

Postby Brutalicus » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:37 pm

Thalia wrote:Ya Aergis still doesn't know weather to shield tank or avoidance tank!

P.S. Found this article

Brutalicus, Garona (Horde) Tankadin
Brutalicus

Postby Santcuff » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:18 pm

My computer isn't good enough for FFXIV :cry:
daemonym wrote:Crazy? I was crazy once...
Santcuff

PreviousNext

Return to Other Games