Remove Advertisements

New FFXIV

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

Re: FFXIV New Trailer and Open Beta

Postby Bunni » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:05 am

linthos wrote:Another note for those running Microsoft Security Essentials, it will detect a virus as part of the install (DOS/SSR.gen) and the install is very unhappy with that. Just turning off real time protection is not reported as fixing the issue either, I got around it by killing the msseces.exe process through task manager before running the install.

I just told MSE to ignore the ffxiv directory and a restart got things back on track.
Keeping the gaming world safe for old folks. www.theoldergamers.com
Bunni

Postby Brutalicus » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:43 am

I'm enjoying this game. I might be able to get into it if I were able to break into the high levels, but I never really liked XI's quest/mission format and the overall slower pace of the game. XIV is a little (okay, infinitely) faster paced, so I'm liking that.

Anyone know what to do once you finish the opening quest chain? They sort of gave me 10000 Gil and a pat on the back and I don't know what to do now. I've finished all the guildleves that require killing things. Do I just grind to 10 and go to the new outpost?
Brutalicus, Garona (Horde) Tankadin
Brutalicus

Postby Thalia » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:02 am

Brutalicus wrote:I'm enjoying this game. I might be able to get into it if I were able to break into the high levels, but I never really liked XI's quest/mission format and the overall slower pace of the game. XIV is a little (okay, infinitely) faster paced, so I'm liking that.

Anyone know what to do once you finish the opening quest chain? They sort of gave me 10000 Gil and a pat on the back and I don't know what to do now. I've finished all the guildleves that require killing things. Do I just grind to 10 and go to the new outpost?

Try and join friends or people who need help doing quest leves party style, you still get exp even if you don't have the leave, just for helping. Also you can try messing around doing crafts of the land or hand, make some monies.
Thalia

Postby Brutalicus » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:09 am

So all I've got to do is buy the primary "weapon" for a crafting class and equip it? Do I have to buy the secondary ones?

Also, is it possible to join a guild (smith's, armorer's, etc) at low levels, or are there some pre-requisites?
Brutalicus

Postby Thalia » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:29 am

Not sure on how to join the crafting guild I think you just buy the weapon for the guild equip it then go talk to them. Anyway, ya just buy the weapons for the Land, you might want to buy the secondary too cuz there are special nodes that require them for you to harvest from them.
Thalia

Postby Chunes » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:25 am

Brutalicious, are you still on rabanastre? That's the server I rolled on coincidentally.

I've found that for as slow as the game feels compared to WoW, I still end up wanting to play it the next day. The menu system is really clunky and a lot of times I can't do one action or another and I have no idea why. Some time spend thinking and i'm usually able to figure things out. I think I am gonna try and find some place to farm up fire crystals so I can actually smelt all this freaking copper ore I have in my bags. My mining job is at like level 7 I think now.

my name's Harold Stonewater on Rabanastre if you care to hunt me down Brute.
Chunes

Postby Brutalicus » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:52 pm

I actually switched to a different world a few hours after I started my first character. But in any event, I know what you mean about wanting to play more. It's a fun game so far, I'm Lancer Rank 11/Physical Level 13. I know this isn't what beta is for, but for me I'm just playing to decide if I'm going to buy the game. It's looking up so far, but if they would fix one thing it would make it a sure purchase.

That one thing is the slow interface. I can handle having to strip naked and change weapons to repair my gear (you can macro all of that easily), but Christ, the interface is sloppy. The mouse is unresponsive and just about every action (like starting item synthesis) has a 3 second delay! Honestly you can make macros that take all the clunkiness out of the gameplay EXCEPT for this. If they'd just find a way to fix this so I can play the game as fast as I can think I'd be buying this on the 22nd for sure.

Edit: Brutalicious. How the hell have I not thought of that for an alt name yet! Thanks!
Brutalicus

Postby Chunes » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:11 pm

Brutalicus wrote:I actually switched to a different world a few hours after I started my first character. But in any event, I know what you mean about wanting to play more. It's a fun game so far, I'm Lancer Rank 11/Physical Level 13. I know this isn't what beta is for, but for me I'm just playing to decide if I'm going to buy the game. It's looking up so far, but if they would fix one thing it would make it a sure purchase.

That one thing is the slow interface. I can handle having to strip naked and change weapons to repair my gear (you can macro all of that easily), but Christ, the interface is sloppy. The mouse is unresponsive and just about every action (like starting item synthesis) has a 3 second delay! Honestly you can make macros that take all the clunkiness out of the gameplay EXCEPT for this. If they'd just find a way to fix this so I can play the game as fast as I can think I'd be buying this on the 22nd for sure.

Edit: Brutalicious. How the hell have I not thought of that for an alt name yet! Thanks!

Hahah dyslexia for the win I guess!

I'm stuck at rank 4 lancer currently. Started in the desert city, but I have no idea how to progress my character besides killing marmots in the fields for like 8 hours. The crafting leves seem broken to me right now. I have the materials, but when I go to the request button, queue up an item to craft it's like "Confirm recipe", so I hit ok, it shows me what shards it's gonna use, then I hit accept and it just takes me back to the "confirm recipe" button again. Infinite loop.

So frustrated now.

Also, blacksmithing can't smelt copper without a freaking fire crystal, but damn if these jerks at squeenix would give you ANY idea on where to get them. I mean, I have fire shards coming out my ass, but no way to synth them into fire crystals.

The internets say that there are mobs that drop them in Noscea, but I have no idea how to get there from the desert zone -_-.

Also yeah, wtb hardware cursor and a menu system that doesn't take 50 years to navigate. It feels like I'm playing the game with like 8000 ping constantly.
Chunes

Postby Brutalicus » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:24 pm

For your lancer woes, have you done any battlecraft leves? I got to maybe rank 7 or so with just the starting quest and 5 or 6 leves (apparently you can only do eight in a 48-hour span, which is retarded) and then did just that, killed rats and fireflies until rank 10 or so.

As for fire crystals, I'm not sure, I started in Nimsa (the city nearest the place you mentioned) and I think I have lots of them. You mean fire shards, right? I'm only blacksmith level 4 or so, all of which was accomplished by making bronze needles out of one bronze nugget each. Have you tried leatherworking, or any of the gathering classes? I should really try to get my lancer out of his snooty hempen clothes, lol
Brutalicus

Postby Chunes » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:53 pm

Yeah, I got mining up to rank 7 because I couldn't seem to get my lancer any farther without just mindless grinding. Not sure what the difference is between battlecraft leves and the "starting quest". I mean, I got the quest to go to the aetherite stone, went there and just started knocking out leves. If you're restricted to 8 leves/48 hrs, well that's just silly.

My main problem is that I have all this raw ore, like 24 copper and a few tin here or there, but no way to actually do anything with it. At least no way that I know of :(

The mining minigame is pretty interesting. The nodes seem to be more ore less stocked well enough so that multiple people whacking on one doesn't drain it, so there's little competition for nodes. It's just weird to me that you can gather all these mats, but actually combining them into something is the difficult part. WoW's the other way around, combining them is easy, just press the damn button and gathering is the time-consuming part.
Chunes

Postby Brutalicus » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:21 pm

Your main quest will show up in your journal under "current quest." Do that until completion and the guild master will explain the concept of retainers (the auction house, so I hear) and guildleves to you. After that point you can pick up leves for crafting and stuff, and a few additional combat leves (I think it's just those that are 8/48hr) to level your combat class. After I filled up my 8 leves I just started killing things, which is still better than XI, where they dumped you off in a city at level 1 and expected you to just start killing things.

I'm starting to get the hang of this synthesis thing. I'm using all the sheepskins I gathered from the disgustingly cute rams to make random shit.

Here's a little pearl of wisdom that's worked for me so far in synthesis (at least it works for my leatherworking)

1. Start off with standard synthesis. Do this until it fails once.
2. Switch to rapid synthesis. Do this until it fails twice in a row.
3. Wait a turn.
4. Switch back to standard, repeat 1-3 until win.

Obviously this method doesn't really take quality into account, which I think doesn't matter unless you're actually making gear. I'm a long way from that point. Credit goes to a guy in my LS who's been around since alpha or closed beta.
Brutalicus

Postby Thalia » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:01 pm

Ya I think that's one of the biggest complain SE is getting from players, like WTF don't they add a hardware mouse.

Anyway, I posted earlier, if you have like a Ps3 controller or anything like that, hook it up to your comp and you can use it like butter in the game.
Thalia

Postby Brutalicus » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:41 pm

I'm going to try that. RIGHT now! Thanks for reminding me.

edit: you'd think Sony would want to release a real driver for the PS3 controller, mumble grumble
Brutalicus

Postby Melathys » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:24 pm

Now I know they're npt wanting to be like wow, but there are a few things SE should pick up from wow. NA players like their mouse/keyboard, and wow got that UI right, use it. There's really no reason they can't make a proper mouse/keyboard ui.

Also, having to be in trading range to join the LS...get over it SE, and just let us pearl people from anywhere, like we can with guild invites.

And for the love of god, let us jump. At the very least, let us walk off cliffs...or even a small ledge. Like today, got stuck at a one foot ledge, and had to walk quite a bit back to get around it. I'd love to swim too, but baby steps.
Melathys

Postby Brutalicus » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:03 pm

And simple things like dragging and dropping items and abilities. And maybe sorting inventories.
Brutalicus

PreviousNext

Return to Other Games