Remove Advertisements

Saaced Shield...

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Saaced Shield...

Postby Njall » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:01 pm

Should I be using this in my rotation? I got called 'a very bad tank' for not using it in heroics by some random dude. I normally don't cast it ever as I mostly raid and while there, I have other pallies casting SS on me and I don't wish to overwrite theirs.

If I should be using it, when should I be?

Thanks.
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Re: Saaced Shield...

Postby fuzzygeek » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:05 pm

It's a (small) straight damage redux, so pop it on whenever there's not a holydin on you.

That being said, people complaining about it in heroics need to get over themselves. ><
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Invisusira » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:23 pm

I'll usually throw it up as I run into combat if there's not a Holy Pally.

Someone complaining about this in pugs is stupid and doesn't know what they're talking about.
Invisusira

Postby Arcand » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:09 am

Njall wrote:If I should be using it, when should I be?

If your gear's crappy or if the healer's gear is crappy.

There's really no reason not to keep SS up on every single pull if you're
interested in minimizing the healing you require - but in many heroics you
can keep the tank topped off with Renew/Rejuvenation/Earth Shield anyway.
At that point the benefit to the group from you hitting SS is approximately
zilch.
Arcand

Postby Njall » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:28 pm

That's about what I figured. I'll try and remember to cast it before any pulls if there's no Holy Rollers around.
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby Koatanga » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:41 pm

If you are ICC-geared then you are probably capable of soloing a lot of those heroics so it's all a bit irrelevant.

However, if you want to look at it empirically, if you are ICC geared then you probably lack a lot of block rating and block value that would otherwise render you immune to physical damage. So you'd take more damage in ICC gear running heroics than you would in Naxx/Ulduar gear.

SS could theoretically bridge a lot of that gap and make you take less damage.

But if you are ICC-geared and someone is having you on about not having SS up, then he's an idiot. I don't know about you, but for heroics I put my brain on auto-pilot and pretty much mail it in.

I am sure it's bad of me not to put out 100% effort every instant I play the game, but come on - if it wasn't for the frost emblems (that I don't even need any more) there would be one fewer tank in queue for heroics, and it would take longer for everyone else to get an instance.

You can deal with a geared tank being slightly lazy, or wait for the next under-geared DK DPS who jumped the queue by selecting "tank". Which would you prefer?
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Harmacy » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:27 pm

I'm in the habit of refreshing it every opportunity I get, running between trash packs, when Sindragosa flies up in the air, etc etc.

More mitigation never hurts. I just have to remind myself not to do it when there's a Holy Pally present.
Harmacy

Postby Platelet » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:53 am

When someone complains about a particular part of my tanking routine, I politely tell them to stuff it. If they do it again I tell the group they can either have a backseat tank wannabe or they can have me who will blow through the instance successfully without losing aggro. Then I vote to kick the tool. Never once have I lost the vote.

I find it mildly ironic how all the dps likes to gripe about the shortage of tanks and long queue times, then when they get one they like to complain about their skill.

Upon rereading the above it looks like I am a jerk, so I guess I am, but that is the price randomers will have to pay to have a good tank.
Platelet

Postby Shinigamy » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:25 pm

it is good to use SS in the heroics they are like solos of old school instances that i love to do by my self (MC,BWL etc.) i mean on boss encounters and large amount of mods 6-7 on me the ss is up 99% of the encounter
seal of light, SS, that can save allot of healing and even if you make it with greeny's like i do in 90% of the time your chance for Success with out wiping is 100%
a proud maintankadin of the Dust
Shinigamy

Return to Basic Training & Talents