Remove Advertisements

Solo Magtheridon possible for a paladin?

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: Solo Magtheridon possible for a paladin?

Postby theckhd » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:24 pm

Went in there today and one-shot it. Kill took a while, probably 15 minutes or so?

I used regular tank gear with DMC:G, Fire aura, Last Word. Seal of Vengeance 90% of the time or more, I switched to SoL once or twice when I got low and felt vulnerable.

Used Divine Protection to cover some of the blasts, Hand of Salv for others. Part of the key is using those as often as possible to mitigate big chunks of damage. Holy Wrath also serves as a temporary intake dropper.

Another trick I noticed is avoiding Flamestrikes. One I started paying attention to them and moving out of them, I took way less damage - to the point that I didn't even need cooldowns to maintain health (hence saving them for blast wave).

Other than that, pretty much what others have said - keep Sacred Shield up, don't let mobs get behind you. I tanked him dancing around the center of the room for the most part.

Next week I'll pack a lot more DPS gear to speed it up - If I can get it down to a 30-minute clear for 550g or so after vendoring, that's a pretty sweet deal.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Ardrhyst » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:12 pm

I certainly agree with Theck on the Flamestrikes.

I am surprised that we have a lot of people that have not complained about him despawning. It took me half a dozen tries or so to shoot my video, but I wasn't dying at all; he just would randomly despawn. I wasn't able to nail down a specific method to stop him from despawning, either. I tried tanking against a wall and not moving, but he despawned in that attempt as well, not to mention I took increased damage from not being able to move out of the Flamestrikes.

I have not gone back to kill him against because he is such a cowardly ass.
Biggest Game Hunter, as well as collector of pets and mounts. Currently hunting paladins' former glory.
Ardrhyst
Maintankadonor

Postby theckhd » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:51 pm

Not sure what to say about that, he didn't despawn on me. I did have a dead rogue with me in the instance though. I doubt that would've made any difference, seeing as he died just shy of "immediately" on the pull. If he despawns next week though, I'll be sure to report it.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby inthedrops » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:31 am

theckhd wrote:Not sure what to say about that, he didn't despawn on me. I did have a dead rogue with me in the instance though. I doubt that would've made any difference, seeing as he died just shy of "immediately" on the pull. If he despawns next week though, I'll be sure to report it.

I think being in the middle helps. I am guessing what makes him despawn are really bad luck with those little elevated things on the ground and you standing on them in just the right way. I did everything in my power to avoid them after the first reset happened to me. Then the ground knock-back thing put me back in their area and sure enough, reset again.

Probably good idea to go in the middle. Easier to see anyway.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Kelaan » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:01 am

Ah, thanks. I had a bear of a time, and tried tanking him near the wall so that I wouldn't get too far from him. Center might work better.

How are you guys managing cooldown rotations? I feel so squishy when he blast novas. I have glyphed Salv, and use that when I can, but for the others ... do you bubble them, or use DP? LoH didn't seem terribly helpful as once I'd used it, I was quickly back at low health. Is it a matter of trying to stay in Ardent Defender range?

Should I try to cap out the damage taken from the casters' melee with enough BV? (I didn't look closely enough at the damage I was taking from them.)
Kelaan

Postby theckhd » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:54 am

Most of the damage I noticed wasn't melee, it was fire or shadow. Hence why moving out of Flamestrike helped so much. I can't say what the breakdown was without a log though, I'll try and remember to WoL it next time I do it (today, I guess?).

My health would slowly decline from max down to AD range and then float around between 30% and 60% or so depending on damage spikes, cooldowns, and so on. I only got below 20% a few times, which is when I'd run SoL for a bit just to have a buffer and bring me up to around 50%.

Next time, I'm going to be using a resist flask instead of Stoneblood. If I can convince a priest to give me the shadow resistance buff and AFK while in my raid group, I may do that too. I'll also be focusing on Stam or DPS gear intead of armor gear, in general.

As far as cooldowns, you'll probably get the most bang for your buck trying to use DP and HoSalv on alternating Blast Waves. IIRC the cooldown is a little bit less than a minute, so you'll just have to eat one now and then. If you're not using DPS trinkets, Sindragosa's Flawless Fang gives you another blast wave counter.

Once I started moving out of Flamestrike, JoL intake was more than enough to offset the incoming damage. If that's not the case for your gear, you'll want to try and stack things that offset the primary damage sources. Once we look at a log, we'll know whether that's resistance or armor, though as I said I'd bet it's fire resistance that you want. Increasing stamina will also increase JoL healing and give you a larger buffer to work with.
theckhd

Postby theckhd » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:57 pm

Here's the parse, 18 min kill, about 10 mins to clear trash. I'll log out in the gear I used, but it was pretty much high-stam tanking gear with hit rating. Basically the same gear I wear for tanking the little elementals in heroic RS25, but with DMC:G, Libram of Valiance, and a DPS ring.

Under the assumption that most of the significant damage was fire, I ran Fire Resistance Aura. I meant to use a Flask of Lesser Resistance, but.. I sort of forgot. Oops. So no flask. Only fort, mark, and self-buffs.

Looking at the breakdown by spell, it looks like most of my damage taken was actually melee (220k), followed by shadow (191k). Fire came in at around 150k, which considering I used fire aura probably means that it's a toss-up between shadow and fire. Either way, a resist flask is probably a good idea for future kills.

I didn't expect melee to be as much as it was. Given that, it might be worth shifting focus towards avoidance or block rating. This isn't an EH challenge, so I suspect that the returns from avoidance/block will be better than armor.
theckhd

Postby Leuthas » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:02 pm

I gave up on trying to do Mags solo - I always take two others with me now. When I did try it, I was in heroic ToC25 gear... I never was able to kill the trash, due to getting an almost endless spam of terror (Death Coil?) How exactly are you folks managing to do this? I gave it a lot of time and effort, it was futile, I had found, because of the spam Death Coil.
Why can't a Warrior Thunderclap while silenced?

You're actually clapping your thighs together with a force so powerful that you generate a sonic boom and the resulting electrostatic energy. Unfortunately, when you're silenced, you can't generate the audible force from your thunder thighs.

Leuthas
Maintankadonor

Postby theckhd » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:38 pm

The trash is relatively easy. Run SoCleave and shadow aura and move out of the Rain of Fire to cut damage intake. If you do that, they die in a minute or two and don't pose any significant threat.
theckhd

Postby Leuthas » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:21 pm

theckhd wrote:The trash is relatively easy. Run SoCleave and shadow aura and move out of the Rain of Fire to cut damage intake. If you do that, they die in a minute or two and don't pose any significant threat.

Maybe my recollection of how often they did the "fear" is a little exaggerated. I'll give it a go.
Why can't a Warrior Thunderclap while silenced?

You're actually clapping your thighs together with a force so powerful that you generate a sonic boom and the resulting electrostatic energy. Unfortunately, when you're silenced, you can't generate the audible force from your thunder thighs.

Leuthas
Maintankadonor

Postby lythac » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:06 am

I would think equipping a few pieces of crappy SR gear (including BT neck) would render the trash meaningless. Reduced chance of fear and reduced damage.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby theckhd » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:21 am

Leuthas wrote:
theckhd wrote:The trash is relatively easy. Run SoCleave and shadow aura and move out of the Rain of Fire to cut damage intake. If you do that, they die in a minute or two and don't pose any significant threat.

Maybe my recollection of how often they did the "fear" is a little exaggerated. I'll give it a go.

Oh, they do cast Death Coil pretty often, and it is pretty annoying. But with SR aura up, their damage is so anemic that it hardly matters. It's mostly an annoyance because you have to spend a few seconds fleeing rather than DPSing.
theckhd

Postby Pala » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:52 am

I tried this a couple times today. The trash is definitely easy. With Seal of Command and Judgment of Light I just stood in the rain of fire. The fears were mildly irritating but only because they moved out of my Consecrate. Magtheridon himself wasn't difficult but I hit the enrage timer each time. I might try swapping out Sindragosa's Flawless Fang for my Herkuml War Token. Maybe I spent too much time with Seal of Light and should have let AD heal me up some. Anyway, I will definitely go back for the gold and loot. I never got my T4 chest.
[Palatinus] & [Kury] - Earthen Ring US
Pala
Maintankadonor

Postby Non » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:58 am

No need to go over to SoL until AD have procced. You can be on 1k-5k hp for a loooong time before AD proc.
**"It's no secret that any correspondence between what Non says and the truth is purely coincidental"
Non

Postby theckhd » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:12 am

So, yesterday I went back in and killed him again. This time, I used Fire Resistance Aura and a Flask of Lesser Resistance. Unfortunately, it was late and I forgot to enable combat logging, so I don't have a parse to analyze. Maybe next week.

However, here are my qualitative observations:

1) Health seemed much more stable. As long as i was diligent with SS and HS, I would stabilize between 30-40% health, occasionally climbing into the 50's during good avoidance streaks. AD pretty much prevented me from ever seeing 20% or less health under normal circumstances.
2) I still cooldowned every blast wave, since that's the period of largest incoming DTPS. Rotating DP, HoSalv, and the Sindragosa trinket was enough.
3) I used the 4-piece bonus from time to time when I was getting low due to other circumstances (bad luck with blast wave/flamestrike or earthquakes).
4) Using Holy Wrath during dicey earthquakes helped quite a bit. When getting knocked around, you can be knocked through the pack of mobs angrily chasing you. I noticed my health drop considerably during these occurrences, probably because I was both lacking the JoL intake (out of range of boss) and getting many attacks from behind. Holy wrath cuts the number of attackers in half or so, and helps smooth out those spikes.

I also had him despawn on me at 25% the first attempt, which is the first time I've observed this. I was near the center of the room and was being knocked around by the earthquake, but I have no idea what I landed on that triggered it. *shrug*
theckhd

PreviousNext

Return to General Strats