Shoju's Case Study: Fresh 80 to ICC in 24 hours as DPS.

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Re: Shoju's Case Study: Fresh 80 to ICC in 24 hours as DPS.

Postby andx » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:38 am

Let me clarify my reasoning behind the SS I asked for.

1.) Its not a big deal, it takes like 2 mins to take and post.
2.) He asked it to be a case study and is doing a great job at it, but anyone could write a thing like this and really have a /played over the limit he specified, it just keeps him honest. Not trying to say that he's cheating or anything it just gives the study a little more authenticity. I think he's doing a great job and I'm enjoying this greatly. The fact that i wear a shiny badge and wear a revolving light for a hat doesn't mean I'm trying to devalue anything that he is doing at all. Just as in all studies, they glow more when they are challenged more and can withstand the challenges.

Keep up the work.
Maybe I just have a disease or an addiction to tanking, my gf says I'm a masochist I say I like it rough, either way I'm a tank and I can't escape it.
andx

Postby Chasey » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:40 am

Nikachelle wrote:
cerwillis wrote:
andx wrote:Looking good. I can has updated SS of /played for authenticity plx?

What are you the case-study police?

I loled. Because I thought the exact same thing.

^ ya

Great thread!
If andx has to be that guy....well!
Shoju, thanks man. You are doing great, keeping great logs and its almost like we are there. IDC if you are under, on or over time, this is still a pretty amazing accomplishment.
Keep up the good work.
Chasey

Postby andx » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:51 am

Chasey wrote:If andx has to be that guy....well!

... /facepalm
Maybe I just have a disease or an addiction to tanking, my gf says I'm a masochist I say I like it rough, either way I'm a tank and I can't escape it.
andx

Postby Shoju » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:11 pm

Thanks all. I'm not going to lie, I'm more worried about the next hour and 45 minutes of time than I was the previous 20+ hours.

My server is small. according to Wow-heroes, I'm almost ready for ICC25, and ICC10 and RS10 both fall in the bar of 'acceptable'. My GS isn't 5k like I was hoping for. 5k GS would have put me in I'm pretty sure. 4838 is on the fringe I fear.

It might take me a little time to get through the last hour and 45 as I'm going to be pushing to do this on popular pug nights on my raid. Friday, Saturday, and Monday night are the big PuG nights. While this might be looked at as "gaming the system" a little I could sit in trade for 1h 45m tonight, and not get into a single one, because there just aren't any PuGs going, and that would be a disservice to the work I have put into this.

I would kill for one more shot at H:POS and H:FOS, but sadly, I just can't see putting the 45 minutes of run time, + 10 minute per queue into this, and only leaving myself 55 minutes to get a group. If this case study were being done even on teh Ally side of my realm, I think that 55 minutes on a friday night would be PLENTY of time for a legitimate chance at getting into an ICC10 pug.

I also need to hurry up and get this done, as I'm having thoughts about making this my main. I have learned a lot about Enhancement DPS in this time, and I learned that I'm not to bad at it as well :)

The sooner I finish this, the sooner I can tell my guild I need tows, and a hilt, and some LW love for crafted 264's :)
Shoju

Postby andx » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:19 pm

Shoju wrote:The sooner I finish this, the sooner I can tell my guild I need tows, and a hilt, and some LW love for crafted 264's :)

I love it.
andx

Postby Shoju » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:32 pm

My personal guild bank has all the mats for the crafted 264 boots and legs, as well as a 264 BoE neck, and a couple other things I have picked up over time. i was originally going to use them on my hunter, but now I'm not so sure. I might just trick this guy out, and go for broke.
Shoju

Postby andx » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:36 pm

Shoju wrote:My personal guild bank has all the mats for the crafted 264 boots and legs, as well as a 264 BoE neck, and a couple other things I have picked up over time. i was originally going to use them on my hunter, but now I'm not so sure. I might just trick this guy out, and go for broke.

May as well, it sounds like you enjoy playing it, and with those resources at your disposal, why not?
andx

Postby Magnusharkov » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:02 pm

It's been a good read so far, it'll be fun to see how you tackle your biggest challenge, finding a competent group willing to invite you. I know that on my realm you can't seem to get into a random ICC10 without the achievement and 5.2GS
Magnusharkov

Postby Shoju » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:09 pm

And here are some more screenshots

Shoju

Postby Shathus » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:21 pm

PS, if you're trying to hide your toon's name, might want to remove it from the image file name :)

GL on your ICC puggin'
Shathus
Maintankadonor

Postby fuzzygeek » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:32 pm

I'd be more skeptical about dps going from 80 to ICC in 24 hours than a tank as well, purely from a gear/grind stand point: 4 hours after dinging 80 you could be in full T9-232.

I know it look me two evenings to completely gear out my wife's ret paladin when I stole her and made her prot because we needed another tank for another 10m group. Granted I used some resources and gold from other characters, but still, a tank's process is considerably faster.

I don't doubt Shoju's ability to turn himself into a contributing member of an ICC raid within 24 hours. I do, however, doubt his server's pugs' ability to recognize that and bring him along so he can out DPS the people with larger gear scores and embarrass the hell out of them.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Shoju » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:46 pm

Shathus wrote:PS, if you're trying to hide your toon's name, might want to remove it from the image file name :)

GL on your ICC puggin'

Eh, at this point, it isn't such a big deal. :)
Shoju

Postby beornus » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:01 pm

If you are not able to get into ICC in 24 hours, may I request that you continue the study until you are? That too would be of great benefit (and interest) to folks to see what the threshold is. Would be interesting to see if your situation indicates some magic number (5kGS, 4pc T-9) or whatever the trigger is in your specific case that may be applicable to others to get in a run.
beornus
Maintankadonor

Postby Gorlando » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:03 pm

beornus wrote:If you are not able to get into ICC in 24 hours, may I request that you continue the study until you are? That too would be of great benefit (and interest) to folks to see what the threshold is. Would be interesting to see if your situation indicates some magic number (5kGS, 4pc T-9) or whatever the trigger is in your specific case that may be applicable to others to get in a run.

The only problem with this is that being able to get into PuGs is extremely server dependent. Shoju was unable to get into VoA, but when my Priest dinged 80 last week (I think), I was able to get into VoA 25 with a 3k Gearscore. The only person I knew in the raid was my friend who also had a 3k Gearscore.
Gorlando

Postby Shoju » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:54 am

beornus wrote:If you are not able to get into ICC in 24 hours, may I request that you continue the study until you are? That too would be of great benefit (and interest) to folks to see what the threshold is. Would be interesting to see if your situation indicates some magic number (5kGS, 4pc T-9) or whatever the trigger is in your specific case that may be applicable to others to get in a run.

Time will tell. honestly, it is going to really come down to how the rejections go when trying to get in if I keep going or not. If they are mainly negative, I'm probably going to be done. If I get some 'sorry', you just aren't quite there yet, I will think about going back and trying to hammer out my gear a little. Really, at this point, 5k gear score could achieved if I could get 2 heroic dungeon runs with perfect loot.

Wowhead is down, so I can't link them, but:

Eyes of Bewilderment from H:FoS
Ring from Tyrannus in H:PoS
Neck from Garfrost in H:PoS

If I could get into those two heroics, and get those pieces, and still be assured enough time to get into ICC, I would hit 5k GS, and be ready to go. Sadly, the RNG gods didn't favor me consistently during the case study.
Shoju

PreviousNext

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes