Remove Advertisements

So the family is switching to Comcast

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

So the family is switching to Comcast

Postby Pfife » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:39 am

I would like to argue against the change to my family but I want to make sure I got all the facts straight. I cannot seem to find the kind of consumer report I really want and the wikipedia entry doesn't give me anything beyond the fact that they should have stopped disrupting p2p among other things and have a 250gig cap on data transfer per month (both ways monitored). The last time I used their service I didn't have a choice in the matter and it always had a major issue with the Lynksis wireless router we were using at the time (college house). We have another Lynksis router at home and everything that actually works runs off it (computer it is hooked up to should have bricked years ago). At the very least I think I'll need to convince my dad that the router needs to be updated (I think it is well over 5 years old, before AT&T purchased SBC). With any luck I'll finally secure a condo by the end of the year and move out, but in the meantime I don't want to leave my family with BS for service since I won't be there all the time to handle the customer service hell Comcast is known for. I'm going to need evidence for this one, (dad needs facts, and the only one he has is that the switch will be cheaper) so any websites with the necessary stats will be the biggest help.
Ghostcrawler: Right. If you are trying to AE tank and a bad dps is attacking the wrong target and dies, we call that justice.
Pfife

Re: So the family is switching to Comcast

Postby andx » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:47 am

I hate comcast. One time my mom wanted to see about getting a new cable box since the one that we had was like 4 or 5 years old and they wouldn't let her do anything since its my dad's name on the account and not hers....
Maybe I just have a disease or an addiction to tanking, my gf says I'm a masochist I say I like it rough, either way I'm a tank and I can't escape it.
andx

Postby Krazed » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:59 am

andx wrote:I hate comcast. One time my mom wanted to see about getting a new cable box since the one that we had was like 4 or 5 years old and they wouldn't let her do anything since its my dad's name on the account and not hers....

That is true of many company's not just Comcast.

It is hard to find "facts" against Com Cast since they do a good job about keeping said info off the webs. Your best and only "fact" would be this one: http://www.cepro.com/article/75_year_ol ... st_office/
Crazy, but ya know its how it is dealt with. Keep in mind that most company's have shifted from having their own techs to "sub-contractors" it is rare and unique to get an actual Com-Cast tech unless the problem goes up the food chain. Also on a personal note I have a loathing for calling comcast as I spent a few hours on the phone with them straightening out a bill issue.
Through nature's inflexible grace I'm learning to live - Dream Theater
Krazed

Postby Aubade » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:48 am

I've had comcast for 7 years now, (Pacific Northwest). And never had a problem with it, no bandwith problems, no download/upload limit problems.
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:50 am

Using Comcast at the moment. The net goes out at least once a week, usually for about 3-4 hours at a time, once up to 9. It's probably the most frustrating experience I've ever had with an ISP.
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby Lightbeard » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:48 am

Grehn|Skipjack wrote:Using Comcast at the moment. The net goes out at least once a week, usually for about 3-4 hours at a time, once up to 9. It's probably the most frustrating experience I've ever had with an ISP.

This ^ but I still wouldn't use dish.
Lightbeard

Postby Krazed » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:14 pm

Guess I should have added. I currently use Comcast if it wasn't already spelled out. I've had rare to few issues. Once had a week were the service completely and utterly blew, but it was the area not just a me issue. It is rarely down for me, and works fine 90% of the time. I've never had an issue with going over any limit either.
Through nature's inflexible grace I'm learning to live - Dream Theater
Krazed

Postby Lightbeard » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:18 pm

You're almost guaranteed no service from 2-4 hours at least once within a 2 week period with comcast. Maybe it's just my area.
Lightbeard

Postby Aubade » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:27 pm

Lightbeard wrote:You're almost guaranteed no service from 2-4 hours at least once within a 2 week period with comcast. Maybe it's just my area.

that's just you, the last time my internet went out was... A Year and a half ago? Which was also during a power outage. Internet was back up 1-2 hours after the Power was.
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby Jackstraw » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:40 pm

Its very likely a regional thing. I'm sure problem areas have connectivity issues no matter what ISP you go with. Either way, i've had very few problems with comcast over the last 10 years or so, i routinely go over the 250 GB "limit" they impose and have heard nothing about it from them. Keep in mind that people love to complain, and you will see much more negativity from say 5% of a population than positivity from the other 95%. Also keep in mind that some issues are beyond ISP's, i remember a few events where the general population called foul on comcast for being unable to connect to WoW servers and it turned out to be problems with routing or a backbone further up the line.

Bottom line i guess is, its hard to know what to expect until you try it out. As you can see from the replies here, performance varies.
Jackstraw

Postby Gracerath » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:40 pm

I use Comcast in WA. I lose my connection at least once a week for an hour or two. Luckily its never during raid times but it always seems to drop me when I'm wanting to do other shit. I'll be on a youtube kick or checking my netflix or whatever and all of a sudden my modem starts blinking.

A majority of the time its ok but it does fuck up enough to be noticable and annoying. I miss my Qwest DSL. The speeds weren't anything to write home about but it was a super stable connection that I had for years without any problems.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby Dorvan » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:41 pm

I agree that Comcast quality varies a lot by location. The last place I lived I had all kinds of trouble with it....at my current place I've had I think one day where it had issues in the year and a half I've been here.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Fridmarr » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:03 pm

Aubade wrote:
Lightbeard wrote:You're almost guaranteed no service from 2-4 hours at least once within a 2 week period with comcast. Maybe it's just my area.

that's just you, the last time my internet went out was... A Year and a half ago? Which was also during a power outage. Internet was back up 1-2 hours after the Power was.
For sure, we are in the same region and other than that major wind storm about 3.5 years ago (when power was out for 3 days at my house) I don't think I've suffered any outages. In fact, because of their stability with internet, I went ahead and switched my phone to them too.

However, don't you have click in your area? If so, we have a completely different backbone.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Zonzede » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:54 am

Western Michigan area, problems are few and far between and have been resolved with only minor frustration.
Zonzede

Postby Pfife » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:40 am

Dorvan wrote:I agree that Comcast quality varies a lot by location.

Good to know. Anybody in the general San Jose, California area have any major issues with the service? I should also note that my last experience with them had the service cut out at least once or twice a week (only on wireless (lynksis) for some reason) and that was in Spokane WA.
Ghostcrawler: Right. If you are trying to AE tank and a bad dps is attacking the wrong target and dies, we call that justice.
Pfife

Next

Return to Arkham Asylum