Advice

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Advice

Postby Corpsegrinder » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:59 am

I have a lvl 80 warrior with DPS issues. I've been told many many things, first ARP is beast, then STr is beast, so I stacked full +20 str gems, but my dps was horrid in ICC! I was only pulling 2.8k dps, which made me frown. Are they incorrect for fury warriors? Is it actually ArP That they need? Please help me, please and thankyou
Corpsegrinder

Re: Advice

Postby Magnusharkov » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:46 am

If you're only doing 2.8k dps with a 30% raid buff then the issue isn't with gemming (from memory str/arp are roughly speaking fairly similar weights), you're pressing buttons in a fundamentally wrong way. I'm no warrior but I would suggest you post an armoury link, describe your typical rotation, list which fights you are struggling on and what you do on them. Also a WWS link would be useful if you have one.
Magnusharkov

Postby Corpsegrinder » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:54 am

No idea what WWS is but my rotation is Bloothirst, whirlwind, Slam(on proc notified by addon), heroic strike, Cleave.

I cannot give an armory link at work, it's blocked due to it being a government computer so here's my character, no other with this name luckily ßëhëmøth. But right now he's currently in tank spec
Corpsegrinder

Postby lythac » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:30 am

Corpsegrinder wrote:my rotation is Bloothirst, whirlwind, Slam(on proc notified by addon), heroic strike, Cleave.

Both Heroic Strike and Cleave are on next melee swing abilities, so don't form part of your rotation. They are used when above a certain amount of rage. When at low gear levels and not overflowing with rage, using Heroic Strike results in a DPS loss.

The thing with HS is it converts a MH swing into the HS meaning you don't generate any rage from it. Leaving you with only your OH to generate your rage. If you have a crappy weapon for OH and a low amount of expertise its not going to be providing the rage you need to continuously HS spam.

WOTLK Fury Warrior Class Guide (Tankspot link), This link should provide you somewhere to start reading.

Landsoul's Warrior DPS Calculation Spreadsheet (EJ link), should also be used. Will tell you what your DPS should be (there is a box for ICC buff) and will give you stat weightings and tell you what to gem for your gear.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby Corpsegrinder » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:36 am

I do believe the rage dump is 60? not quite sure, not at my computer to check it as such I cannot check those links just yet, but what confused me about EJ.com is that...they well, someone asks about arp they say 100% arp, so I thought I'd just get more opinions. oh btw, how do you link yoru armory with those...yeah doheeky names
Corpsegrinder

Postby amh » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:47 am

Go to http://www.worldoflogs.com, register an account. Before the raid, click "Client" to start a small java-app that will allow you to upload combatlogs. Zone into the raid, type /combatlog.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-tale ... th&group=1

It looks like you're doing 25mans (at least from the shield). That probably means at least one of the tanks will be providing a maxed out demo shout / equivalent, and one of your paladins will have maxed out imp Might. You can drop your buff talents in favor of personal dps.

The first spec-choice you need to make is between imp demo and unbridled wrath. Now, if you're doing 2,5k dps, you either have serious rage issues, or you aren't spending your rage at all. Go with unbridled wrath. You'd have to use RAWR to find out how many points in unbridled wrath would be overkill, but two points should probably be fine.

---------------
http://www.wowhead.com/talent#LhbG0fhZh ... eRVzAo:oGM
This spec picks up most of the mandatory stuff, with what should be the least crappy filler talents. Do whatever you want with the last two points. If you ever struggle with rage, I'd get imp berserker rage.
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby lythac » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:52 am

Whether you go for ArP 100% depends on your gear level and your trinket options. Going for 100% ArP before you have good gear is a bad thing to do.

From the tankspot article -

Should I Gem for Armor Pen. Instead of Strength?

It depends.

there are two situations currently which make gemming for arp viable, soft capping, and hard capping

Soft Capped ArP

In order to soft cap ArP you must have one of these trinkets:
Grim Toll
Mjolnir Runestone
Needle Encrusted scorpion

Soft capping ArP means that when your trinket procs, you will be at 100% armor penetration.

To determine the amount of ArP you need from gear in order to be soft capped use this simple formula:

ArP needed from gear = 100% - ArP given by the trinket proc

Usually you will need 50-60% arp from gear depending on which trinket you have. so depending on your gear most of your gems might still be strength gems.

Hard Capped ArP

Hard capping ArP means that you have a passive 100% Armor penetration from your gear.

normally as fury this hasn't been viable but with the release of Icecrown gear this is very doable.

currently this requires that all of your gems be used for ArP

as of right now you are really only seeing warriors in top end guilds doing this because they have hardmode ToC25 gear so they are able to be really close to or at the hard cap. by the time the rest of Icecrown is released this will be common practice for most fury warriors who are able to clear the content.

How close to the hard cap should I be able to get before I gem pure ArP?

this is more of a personal choice. I personally plan on gemming ArP when I can be at or above 90% passive ArP with gems, but it's up to you really.

Using this code -
Code: Select all
[b][url=http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Stormscale&cn=%C3%9F%C3%ABh%C3%ABm%C3%B8th][color=#808080]ßëhëmøth [80][/color][/url][/b] [size=75]US-Stormscale [/size]

gives -

ßëhëmøth [80] US-Stormscale
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby Corpsegrinder » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:56 am

Both 10 and 25 icc. Guess I'm not sleepign when I get off work, gotta do some work on that..
Corpsegrinder

Postby Shoju » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:17 am

I caught you in your Fury gear.

1.) stop wearing PVP gear in PVE. It is not good. You lose DPS itemization on the gear to Resilience and excess stamina.
2.) Get expertise capped first. 19 is not enough. You need 26.
3.) Replace your Meta gem. You want the Relentless Earthsiege Diamond. Then, you actually need to gem to activate it. Your current meta is inactive.
4.) Enchants. 85 AP is cheap, and not going to give you good dps.
5.) Enchant your cloak.
6.) Choose whether you are going to gem full str or go for arp cap. You are currently 300arp short of cap with trinket proc
7.) Go to a training dummy, and make sure that you are getting the rotation right. At this point, I can't see how 2.8k dps on a fight is going to be possible with your gear unless you are doing something wrong.
Shoju

Postby Corpsegrinder » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:34 am

Working on getting the gems for full arp
Corpsegrinder

Postby Morak » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:31 am

Did you check the rank of your spells ?
Morak

Postby Baelor » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:54 am

Advice on what? Please edit your thread subject to be more indicative of the discussion contained herein.
I am the light that brings the dawn.
Something Wicked this way comes.
Formerly: Baelor of Runetotem-US (2006-2007) | Cathmor of Malfurion-US (2007-2010)
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby Korola » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:16 am

Morak wrote:Did you check the rank of your spells ?

Amazing how many times it can be that ^
Korola
Maintankadonor

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes