Remove Advertisements

Tanking ZulJin - They want a warrior!

Nalorakk, Akil'zon, Jan'alai, Halazzi, Malacrass, Zul'jin

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Tanking ZulJin - They want a warrior!

Postby Slamdorff » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:00 am

Hi All,

We are downing 5 bosses in ZA in every reset now, and still didn't get lucky with ZulJin(only 4-5 reset tries). Since the guild want ZJ on the kill list we often switch an extra DPS in for that fight and take the surplus tank out.

In general I get fine credit in guild and get to tank everything I like(3/5 TK 3/6 SSC). But for ZJ RL want a warrior. None of our warriors have superior gear - we are 5 tanks on par gearwise.

I tank Malacrass and feel completely ready for ZJ. What do you think?
And if not how could I improve with the 55 badges I have in bank. (getting 75 is easy)

I hope for some experienced answers.

Thx,

Slamdorff

3 side questions, instead of wasting another thread:

1. Is fire resistance aura making a serious difference in phase 5?

2. are you all keeping the 2. tank for ZJ?

3. In general: Where will the Autoblocker make me a happy man and should I spend badges on it right away or maybe wait for Hyjal? Right now I dont have encounters I cant handle.

Armory is down ATM - I run with 15K HP, 16,5K Armor, 19,5 dodge, 16,5 parry, 26,5 block, 350 BV, Darkmoon+Pocketwatch trinkets - all unbuffed ofc

hmm- armory is now up but shows weird old data - I have T5 shoulders, ZA mace, VR bracers, Slikks and maiden gloves.

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet ... =Slamdorff
Slamdorff

Postby icydevarosp » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:23 am

my guild actually has me heal for zuljin, instead of tanking simply because you need to pump out as many people as you get. I main tank everything that requires to tanks, but anything that only requires one I let the warrior tank because they are almost a wasted raid spot when a prot warrior is not tanking. Where as a paladin who is prot with decent kara healing gear is still about 2/3's as good as a healer, especially if the paladin is with a shadow priest.
icydevarosp

Postby icydevarosp » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:26 am

Also with your questions
1- fire resistance aura helps in phase 5, and if it is there might as well use it, but it is not crucial and I don't believe it has really helped anyone who would of died stay alive unless they were extremely lucky.

2- We keep two tanks, just have the prot paladin heal as seen above

3- I actually just use the card/pocket watch, the blocker is block value only, which is a decent stat, but compared to 38 dodge rating even when aoe tanking I dont see it being better unless your stacking massive block without holy shield
icydevarosp

Postby Omidin » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:11 am

icydevarosp wrote:my guild actually has me heal for zuljin, instead of tanking simply because you need to pump out as many people as you get. I main tank everything that requires to tanks, but anything that only requires one I let the warrior tank because they are almost a wasted raid spot when a prot warrior is not tanking. Where as a paladin who is prot with decent kara healing gear is still about 2/3's as good as a healer, especially if the paladin is with a shadow priest.

Prot healing is most def not 2/3 as good as a "normal" healer. When I go healing as prot I normally do about 2/3 of the effective healing of the 2nd last healer where as when I'm holy, I'm #1. I'd much rather have the prot warrior go dps (which was buffed in 2.3 afaik) and let me do the tanking. Overall the raid benefits more imho, esp for p3.
Omidin

Postby Stylaan » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:53 am

Omidin wrote:
icydevarosp wrote:my guild actually has me heal for zuljin, instead of tanking simply because you need to pump out as many people as you get. I main tank everything that requires to tanks, but anything that only requires one I let the warrior tank because they are almost a wasted raid spot when a prot warrior is not tanking. Where as a paladin who is prot with decent kara healing gear is still about 2/3's as good as a healer, especially if the paladin is with a shadow priest.

Prot healing is most def not 2/3 as good as a "normal" healer. When I go healing as prot I normally do about 2/3 of the effective healing of the 2nd last healer where as when I'm holy, I'm #1. I'd much rather have the prot warrior go dps (which was buffed in 2.3 afaik) and let me do the tanking. Overall the raid benefits more imho, esp for p3.

Well, it depends one the effectiveness of your other healers. I heal for Zul'jin usually as well and although I'm usually at the bottom of the chart behind our other healers all of them are close in effective heal, usually within 1-2% of each other, so it's not too bad.
Stylaan

Postby Parishna » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:59 am

I can top the effective healing meters in SSC specced full prot.. don't give me this I can't heal in prot spec stuff...
Parishna

Postby Dorvan » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:06 pm

If you can tank everything else in ZA, you can tank Zul'jin, he's not much of a tank gear check to be honest.

Regarding your side questions:

1. I'm not sure, I've never been there without it =P

2. So far we've subbed out a tank for both Malacrass and Zul'jin. (Last week the Warrior sat out, this week is my turn).

3. You can get by without it, but I've already found the auto-blocker very nice for Morogrim, Al'ar, and heroics.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby kalbear » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:41 pm

I can top the effective healing meters in SSC specced full prot.. don't give me this I can't heal in prot spec stuff...
If you can, your healers suck.
kalbear

Postby Worldie » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:44 pm

kalbear wrote:

theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby jere » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:55 pm

kalbear wrote:

Considering his guild has cleared all of SSC and is one boss shy of TK (maybe), I wouldn't be so quick to throw out insults at his healers. :)
jere

Postby Sabindeus » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:02 pm

After the unending horror that is Malacrass, Zul'jin is cake. Also pie.

He is easy to tank. Tell your guild they are dumb.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Mortehl » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:04 pm

Enough of the dumb and suck talk. Wow forums are that way ->
Arthas, we're coming for you. (Eventually)
Mortehl

Postby Splug » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:07 pm

Zul'jin isn't much of a "tanking power" check at all. The only discression between whether you tank or the warrior tanks should be driven by whether you'd rather have the off-spec healer or off-spec damage. If you have two healers, having him tank and you heal is perfectly reasonable. If you have three healers already, you should be tanking and he should be doing gimp damage.

(And yes, protection warrior dps was altered in 2.3. Devastate now costs 3 less rage with the appropriate spec, and the opening 5 sunders are replaced with devastates. Unfortunately, prot warrior dps is still low relative to its threat generation, and lower than a comparable full-time dps build.)

And regarding the whole offspec playing in general, I've always felt it's roughly equal parts skill, gear, and spec. A protection paladin with t6 healing gear is probably going to outheal a holy paladin in karazhan gear. A fury warrior in t5 tanking gear will take less damage than a protection warrior in blues. If your spec is inferior for a given role and damage meters say your output is still higher, then there is possibly a deficit in the other party's equipment or skill relative to your own, or some other element at work (such as group composition). EDIT: Actually, yeah. In my experience, the healer with the shadow priest usually ends up in the top 3. ;)

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby Parishna » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:04 pm

jere wrote:
kalbear wrote:

Considering his guild has cleared all of SSC and is one boss shy of TK (maybe), I wouldn't be so quick to throw out insults at his healers. :)

I got the T5 chest on our first kill (for healing) this week .. so yeah got both cleared now.. thanks for the support :)

I just swap spell crit gear for mp5 gear.. and heal away.. a few more mana pots maybe... but it gets the job done. Now to spec back prot for hyjal.. weee
Parishna

Postby Dorvan » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:31 pm

Well, without trying to insult anyone I think it should be obvious that if you've got two people in similar gear, one spec'ed for healing and the other not...the one spec'ed for healing should be the more effective healer. If that's not happening, certainly something is off, whether with talents, gear, or skill.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to Zul'aman