Remove Advertisements

Dangerous New Disease

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Dangerous New Disease

Postby Brekkie » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:51 pm

The Neuromorphic-cerebrotroph virus is the type species of the Lyssavirus genus, which includes viruses such as Rabies. Lyssaviruses have helical symmetry, with a length of about 150 nm and a cross-sectional diameter of about 75 nm. These viruses are enveloped and have a single stranded RNA genome with negative-sense.

The genetic information is packaged as a ribonucleoprotein complex in which RNA is tightly bound by the viral nucleoprotein.

The RNA genome of the virus encodes five genes whose order is highly conserved: nucleoprotein (N), phosphoprotein (P), matrix protein (M), glycoprotein (G) and the viral RNA polymerase (L). Concentrating highly in nerve centers, this virus has a peculiar trait of also being a retrovirus, (family Retroviridae) which contains no other Lyssavirii. This virus can, once in a host cell, utilize the enzyme reverse transcriptase to produce DNA from its RNA genome. The DNA is then incorporated into the host's genome by an integrase enzyme. The virus thereafter replicates as part of the host cell's DNA, travels up the neural pathways thusly, then into the brain, and finally into every other organ system.

It is zoonotic (i.e., transmitted by animals), most commonly by a bite from an infected specimen but occasionally by other forms of contact, such as sexual congress with an unwitting vector.

The period between infection and the first flu-like symptoms is normally two to twelve weeks, but can be as long as two months. Soon after, the symptoms expand to slight or partial paralysis, cerebral dysfunction, anxiety, insomnia, confusion, agitation, abnormal behavior, paranoia, terror, hallucinations, progressing to delirium. The production of large quantities of saliva and tears coupled with an inability to speak or swallow are typical during the later stages of the disease; this can result in hydrophobia, in which the patient has difficulty swallowing because the throat and jaw become slowly paralyzed, shows panic when presented with liquids to drink, and cannot quench his or her thirst. Further behavioral alterations mount as the disease spreads through the cerebral cortex. Inability to distinguish simple objects, familiar faces, and even basic self-actualization gradually fades as the cortex necrotizes, effectively lobotomizing the subject.

A peculiar event occurs once the cerebral cortex has been necrotized by roughly 60%; the subject regains full motor ability but loses almost all higher reasoning and thought. Metabolic functions slow to roughly half. The heart-rate of the subject is quartered, and the blood becomes thick and vicous.

Known as cerebrotroph-stage alpha, the subject is only dimly aware of its surroundings at this point. Cognitive ability has been equated to that of a newborn, with only marginally more effective motor instincts. The subject is concerned only with feeding, and has difficulty discerning objects that are even edible.

What happens at this next stage varies greatly depending upon a number of factors. As observed by Doctors Armitage and DeGaul (Project BA-Everest, TS, United States Department of Defense) the cellular makeup of the subject begins to metamorphose. Individual tissue structures and organ systems remain and continue to function at their reduced rate, but large sections of viscera become shot through with fungus-like hyphae. As the lungs of the subject begin to exchange more nitrogen than oxygen into the bloodstream, these strands continue to grow and spread through the body.

The degree to which these hyhae are 'accepted' by the host body is determined entirely by the initial genome of the subject. Individuals with high tolerance for the cyto-mycoplasmatic fibres, as identified in BA-Everest, seem to have no more of a morphological consequence than a slight discoloration of the skin (BA- Everest, Subjects 0-21. Poor fibre-assimilation can result in a myco-pustules; acne-like blisters, massive discoloration, swelling, inflation, shingles, and even necrotized skin and viscera.

Cerebrotroph Stage Bravo begins as myco-fibres take up residence and replace most of the remaining nervous system. With much of the brain necrotized, primary decision making processes seem to move to the now altered brain-stem area. Behavioral patterns shift from that of a barely cognizant newborn to that of a seemin...gly rabid animal (hence the relation to other Lyssavirii.)

Mental degradation is acute in this stage, but while advanced reasoning is mostly lost with the cerebral cortex, personality and memory can, to varying degrees (seemingly correlating with how readily myco-fibres are assimilated into the body,) return to the subject. [BA-Everest] In such cases, subjects expressed deep regret, grief, disgust, and revulsion at themselves.

When capable of speech, providing lungs and vocal cords had not been necrotized, they expressed an overwhelming urge to bite and consume any warm-blooded animal presented to them, interviewer included. Subjects 15 and 19 from Everest were observed to resist this urge for a time of 74 hours and 92 hours, respectively. Doctor Armitage supposes this is due to their Military indoctrination, but further remarks experimentation on the remaining subjects is necessary
Theckhd wrote:big numbers are the in-game way of expressing that Brekkie's penis is huge.
Brekkie

Re: Dangerous New Disease

Postby Chicken » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:59 pm

Seems I'm going to have get myself a zombie apocalypse survival kit after all.
Chicken

Postby Vycera » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:03 pm

Source or it didnt happen.

If there is a source, OMG RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!! ZOMBIES!!
Vycera

Postby Snake-Aes » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:17 pm

Source PLEASE!
I know of so many ways to spread OMGZOMBIESRUNFORYOURLIVES among tens of thousands of roleplaying gamers if there is a source!
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Minnerva » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:41 pm

i tried to find information on it but nothing on it but didn't found it, don't think the above information exist. after looking for a bit i got bored and looked for a zombie picture.
Edit: wait, that is brekkie, didn't lightbeard has a signature about him/her?
Minnerva

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:24 pm

TL;DR
Gonna assume it's the zombie disease. I'm prepared, are you?
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby Heil » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:31 pm

BITCHEN! I now have the excuse I have been waiting for to justify buying a shotgun and a chainsaw!
Name's Panda, G. D. Panda.
Heil

Postby Aubade » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:50 pm

Minnerva wrote:Edit: wait, that is brekkie, didn't lightbeard has a signature about him/her?

I can't believe you think I'm Lightbeard =[
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby Minnerva » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:02 pm

Aubade wrote:
Minnerva wrote:Edit: wait, that is brekkie, didn't lightbeard has a signature about him/her?

haven't read your post in a while, when ever its something about relationship problems the first thing that pops up is "must have been a lightbeard post" sorry, i will add your name to the list.

Minnerva

Postby Lightbeard » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:03 pm

Aubade wrote:

I'm confused.

Also I take solace in knowing a zombie apocalypse will fail before it gets big but I'm still getting a shotgun just to be on the safe side.
Lightbeard

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:10 pm

Lightbeard wrote:Also I take solace in knowing a zombie apocalypse will fail before it gets big but I'm still getting a shotgun just to be on the safe side.

That's just what the zombies want you to think.
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby Lightbeard » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:15 pm

Grehn|Skipjack wrote:
Lightbeard wrote:Also I take solace in knowing a zombie apocalypse will fail before it gets big but I'm still getting a shotgun just to be on the safe side.

That's just what the zombies want you to think.

I'm well versed in the game Plants vs Zombies.
Lightbeard

Postby aranil » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:10 pm

aranil

Postby Thornir » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:10 pm

Not worried.

There's no way it would survive.

Edit:
Damn it, beaten to the punch.
Many fall, but one remains. - The Stranger
Men are but flesh and blood. They know their doom, but not the hour. - Patrick Stewart
Thornir

*Now with 100% more beef!*
Thornir

Postby Lightbeard » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:27 pm

aranil wrote:http://www.cracked.com/article_18683_7-scientific-reasons-zombie-outbreak-would-fail-quickly.html

I was about to link that as well.
Lightbeard

Next

Return to Arkham Asylum