New Beta Build Build 12803 8/20/2010

SPOILERS Discussion about the Cataclysm Beta SPOILERS

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: New Beta Build Build 12803 8/20/2010

Postby Dantriges » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:21 am

Lieris wrote:
Rasmfrackn wrote:I just wanted to say, on the topic of new tanking tools, that I think a (good) gap closer and an interrupt are both nice-to-haves more than necessities.

I want all tanks to have a good interrupt and a gap closer so they can design encounters around that. Tanking in WOTLK was too easy, I'd like all tanks to have the kind of toolkit that warriors have so we can have some really interesting boss battles rather than static tank and spanks in small rooms.

Boss being static will probably stay. Even if the designers intend otherwie, tactics will be planned to have the boss as static as possible.
If you move much with the boss, the whole raid has to rearrange, healing and dps will drop. And I don´t think that the dps while moving talents will be 100% compatible to their stand around cast rotation counterparts. Otherwise there would be no sense in having them. Also the encounter will turn significantly easier if you have a lot of healers able to heal while moving aka druids.
Dantriges

Re: New Beta Build Build 12803 8/20/2010

Postby Lieris » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:17 am

Dantriges wrote:
Lieris wrote:
Rasmfrackn wrote:I just wanted to say, on the topic of new tanking tools, that I think a (good) gap closer and an interrupt are both nice-to-haves more than necessities.

I want all tanks to have a good interrupt and a gap closer so they can design encounters around that. Tanking in WOTLK was too easy, I'd like all tanks to have the kind of toolkit that warriors have so we can have some really interesting boss battles rather than static tank and spanks in small rooms.

Boss being static will probably stay. Even if the designers intend otherwie, tactics will be planned to have the boss as static as possible.
If you move much with the boss, the whole raid has to rearrange, healing and dps will drop. And I don´t think that the dps while moving talents will be 100% compatible to their stand around cast rotation counterparts. Otherwise there would be no sense in having them. Also the encounter will turn significantly easier if you have a lot of healers able to heal while moving aka druids.

There are plenty of examples of encounter mechanics that force tanks to move be it for the boss or to scoop up adds, I won't list them all.

In ICC there was no difference in tanking difficulty between normal and heroic (LK aside), I want there to be an obvious difference passable tanks and great tanks. Movement is the best way to make that distinction (e.g. Illidan flames and Firefighter) so lets give all tanks gap closers and design encounters around that. No more standing still, reeling off a rotation and maybe taunting because of debuffs please, that does not challenge me.

All homogenisation arguments aside, imagine the kind of encounters they could design if all tanks had charge, intercept, intervene and heroic leap!
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Previous

Return to Cataclysm