My DK is like a quilt - HELP!

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

My DK is like a quilt - HELP!

Postby Korola » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:36 am

I am having a difficult time with my death knight. Everyone seems to have an opinion about what is best. I have tried to put gear and a spec together based on things I have read. I have asked a couple different death knight tanks for advice and it seems I only get more confused.

I went in a quick ICC 10 4/12 last night. That was all that was called for and all we attempted. I would have liked at least 6, but the guy running it only wanted to spend an hour or so. I did ok, didn't feel like threat was a problem, and my survival was ok. I got done and saw an ICC 25 advertised, joined it and proceded to get rocked. I need some min/max tips to help out. Here is his armory - please rip it apart. Yamantaka

A few other things not shown in the armory.

I have -
Ony trinket
Glyph of Indomitability
Various other weapons and armor pieces, nothing above ilvl 232.
50 frost badges and 70 triumph badges.
Also left my feelings at home today. Feel free to call me a retard if you think that the advice tagged with it will be beneficial.

Thanks.
Korola
Maintankadonor

Re: My DK is like a quilt - HELP!

Postby Kelaan » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:13 am

Korola wrote:I went in a quick ICC 10... I did ok, didn't feel like threat was a problem, and my survival was ok. I got done and saw an ICC 25 advertised, joined it and proceded to get rocked.

Please elaborate. In what way were you rocked? As OT, you should still be viable with 4x T9. Your threat will be on the low side, but you should be very survivable.

You have more health than my DK (Caelys). You have about 1300 less armor than me, which is (comparatively) nothing. Anecdotally, I've had zero problems in ICC25; the 30% buff means that my effective health (if not my avoidance) is about similar to what my main's was when we first stepped in the zone. You'll be at 56k health, which is quite respectable.

- Get the stam/resilience shoulder enchant
- Get the +Str sigil, rather than the +dodge one, IMO. Maybe threat is less important now, quite possible.
- I rather like the 2x T10 set bonus for DKs. It's a great threat boost for running heroics and for trash. Shoulders+Gloves are cheapest.
- Keep running 10s and 25s for a better 2H weapon, or consider going DW if that works better for you.

On Deathwhisper, remember that you might be the only interrupter for frost bolts. It's possible that you may have forgotten that -- I always have to specifically remind myself that on my DK I have a 10 sec interrupt (snowball) rather than a 60 second one. :)

In the gear I have, which is in some ways worse than yours, I've successfully tanked all 4 bosses in lower spire. You shouldn't be getting squished by the damage. (Also, as Frost, you have two physical damage cooldowns you can use.)
Kelaan

Postby amh » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:32 am

Is going blood an option? For general pugging, I'd much prefer a reactive cooldown (VB) to UA. The bit of extra health you get also helps you look better.

If threat is an issue: blood is more forgiving of IT-spam than frost, and as Kelaan said, the strength-libram does wonders.

The dodge-trinket can gtfo. Swap in some armor or stamina!
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby ulushnar » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:42 am

amh wrote:Is going blood an option? For general pugging, I'd much prefer a reactive cooldown (VB) to UA. The bit of extra health you get also helps you look better.

If threat is an issue: blood is more forgiving of IT-spam than frost, and as Kelaan said, the strength-libram does wonders.

The dodge-trinket can gtfo. Swap in some armor or stamina!

I pretty much agree with Amh. Blood's definately the way to go for raiding, and I just use my DPS relic when tanking, threat is always a good thing.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Shoju » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:47 am

Why is everyone a blood tank anymore? :( Go DW FROST!

And I agree, that dodge trinket can DIAF wear the armor trinket.
Shoju

Postby Korola » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:49 am

I got rocked on trash. LDW adds were hitting pretty hard. UA is ok but my problem with that is I give up my biggest threat rune to activate it. With dps riding me (str sigil would help) giving up an IT or a KM loaded HB seems too much to ask. I can use it later on a boss fight, but it makes it rough on a trash pack with overzealous dps.

I can go blood. I don't have an issue with that. With Ick's Thumb and VB it would give me a decent boost in health.

Nice to hear that my gear is ok. I have been trying for a second Rimefang's Claw. If I DW now I have a Peacekeeper Blade as my second.

I have been contemplating getting a ToC 25 gdkp and snagging a couple trophies. They go for 600-1k typically and would be a small upgrade.
Korola
Maintankadonor

Postby Shoju » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:03 am

Korola wrote:I got rocked on trash. LDW adds were hitting pretty hard. UA is ok but my problem with that is I give up my biggest threat rune to activate it. With dps riding me (str sigil would help) giving up an IT or a KM loaded HB seems too much to ask. I can use it later on a boss fight, but it makes it rough on a trash pack with overzealous dps.

I can go blood. I don't have an issue with that. With Ick's Thumb and VB it would give me a decent boost in health.

Nice to hear that my gear is ok. I have been trying for a second Rimefang's Claw. If I DW now I have a Peacekeeper Blade as my second.

I have been contemplating getting a ToC 25 gdkp and snagging a couple trophies. They go for 600-1k typically and would be a small upgrade.

DWing fast weapons is ok, but honestly, if you are having threat problems, Spec DW frost, grab 2 big dumb slow 1h'ers and go to town. The Threat component of Speed on DW Dk weapons works the same as a paladin. The slower the weapon, the more threat. You will give up some defensive stats, but even using a slow 1h'er and a tank in the OH will be mroe threat than dual tank weapons.

Nighttime and the mace from HoR are truly fantastic. Until I got the axe residing in my DK's main hand (armory in sig) I was sporting 2x H:HOR maces, and my threat was amazing.

Str Sigil - hit capped - close on expertise soft cap (more would be nice) - IIT I put out a TON of threat.

You would also be well served to fill out that third glyph slot. A lot of DK tanks use the Rune Strike Glyph. I use the Frost Strike Glyph. IMO it is better for DW frost. I don't have any hard numbers to prove it, but it just felt 'better' (more damage, more threat) to be able to FS more, than to prop up rs.
Shoju

Postby ulushnar » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:14 am

You know you can macro UA and Blood Tap together so you don't have to give up a Frost rune for it? It's inelegant, but it get's the job done:

Code: Select all
#showtooltip Unbreakable Armor
/castsequence Blood Tap,  Unbreakable Armor
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Korola » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:21 am

I have 2 Nighttimes. I use them in Heroics with 1 Nerubian and 1 Razorice runeforge. I am so far above the defense minimum but I miss block, and struggle trying to balance survival/threat.

Is having rune strike macro'd to every attack a bad thing?
Korola
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:24 am

Korola wrote:Is having rune strike macro'd to every attack a bad thing?

Certainly not. It saved me from being a bad DK tank by macroing that sucker to everything.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Korola » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:31 am

I see rune strike as number one in overall damage for my attacks most times, and thought there might be a downside I wasn't considering.
Korola
Maintankadonor

Postby amh » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:42 am

This is odd. Is my firefox-cache stuck, or does my DK show very little armor compared to you guys? At a glance I'd think I have a bit more than you (I know mine doesn't include frost presence).

Korola: 26567
Shoju: 27862
amh: 22624
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Korola » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:47 am

(edit you can see my equipped gear) and this includes frost presence.

I think I am about 18.5k without frost presence.

I would like more armor but am going to upgrade that through the conventional method of gear. My DK also has the misfortune of being the last 80 I will gear this expansion. I don't know if he will see any 264 craftables.
Last edited by Korola on Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Korola
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:48 am

You show as 22k armor for me, amh.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby amh » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:07 am

Without delving too much into it, it looks like it's a EU vs US kind of thing. A guildie's DK alt, with a few bonus armor pieces, is showing up as 21608 armor.

Anyhoo, /derail
amh
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes