Chuck Palahniuk

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Chuck Palahniuk

Postby Aubade » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:24 am

Does anyone around here read any Chuck Palahniuk Books?

My Girlfriend is absolutely in love with his books, so I've been reading them and I must say, he is easily the best author that I've read from in the past few years.

His books include

Fight Club. (Yes, with Tyler Durden and everything. Strangely enough though, I think the movie ending was better than the book.)

Survivor. (An AWESOME book, about a guy who survives a religious cult mass-suicide)

Invisible Monsters (About an ex-super model who loses her lower jaw. VERY Strange book.)

Haunted. (Another amazing Palahniuk book where 20 authors are kidnapped and brought to a building to create their "Masterpiece" while all telling their personal stories.)

Lullaby. (A book about an ancient African song "The Culling Song" meant to kill the injured/elderly/sickly to put them out of their misery coming into play in modern America.)

Pygmy. (A book about a 13 year old secret agent from a communist country that is sent to America to destroy it.)

These are all the books I've finished reading so far, although there are still 5-6 more that I haven't read.

Just curious if anyone else on the boards has become as absorbed with his books as I have. And if anyone else is interested in reading some fiction novels I HIGHLY recommend his books, starting with either the fight club book or survivor in my humble opinion.
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Re: Chuck Palahniuk

Postby Brand » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:36 am

Aubade wrote:Does anyone around here read any Chuck Palahniuk Books?

My Girlfriend is absolutely in love with his books, so I've been reading them and I must say, he is easily the best author that I've read from in the past few years.

His books include

Fight Club. (Yes, with Tyler Durden and everything. Strangely enough though, I think the movie ending was better than the book.)

Survivor. (An AWESOME book, about a guy who survives a religious cult mass-suicide)

Invisible Monsters (About an ex-super model who loses her lower jaw. VERY Strange book.)

Haunted. (Another amazing Palahniuk book where 20 authors are kidnapped and brought to a building to create their "Masterpiece" while all telling their personal stories.)

Lullaby. (A book about an ancient African song "The Culling Song" meant to kill the injured/elderly/sickly to put them out of their misery coming into play in modern America.)

Pygmy. (A book about a 13 year old secret agent from a communist country that is sent to America to destroy it.)

These are all the books I've finished reading so far, although there are still 5-6 more that I haven't read.

Just curious if anyone else on the boards has become as absorbed with his books as I have. And if anyone else is interested in reading some fiction novels I HIGHLY recommend his books, starting with either the fight club book or survivor in my humble opinion.

I love Chuck. His stuff is great. Invisible Monsters is indeed strange and yet satisfying in ways that I can't even vocalize.
"I wonder if there's beer on the sun." - Zap Rowsdower
Brand

Postby Rachmaninoff » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:53 am

my friend was big into him in high school, I read survivor and thought it was awesome, also he wrote choke which was turned into a movie
Rachmaninoff

Postby Aubade » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:04 pm

Rachmaninoff wrote:my friend was big into him in high school, I read survivor and thought it was awesome, also he wrote choke which was turned into a movie

AFAIK Choke the movie is not based on choke the book, it's based on Snuff, which is another Chuck P Book.

EDIT: I looked it up on Wikipedia, I was wrong, choke the movie is based on the book. Looks like I'll have to see it as soon as I finish reading it, which might be a week or so, since I just started Diary.

Wow, upon further inspection, there are also scheduled to be
Surivior - Movie
Invisible Monsters - Movie
Haunted - Movie (This is going to be REALLY hard to pull off successfully IMO.
Rant - Movie
Diary - Movie
Lullaby - Movie
Snuff - Movie.

I don't think words can describe how excited I would be to watch all of those movies.
Aubade

Postby Rhivath » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:09 pm

My sister owns most of his books but I've only read Fight Club and Choke, before seeing both films (Fight Club is a household favorite, on the same shelf as Pulp Fiction, The Departed, etc) and did quite enjoy both of them. I'll have to give the rest of these a read as well!
Rhivath - Alliance Paladin of Silver Hand
And many many alts!
Rhivath

Postby Pala » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:32 pm

I have rant on audiobook from Audible. It was certainly a weird one. I wonder how they will do the movie since it is all from other people's stories of Rant. I guess a lot of dialogue is expository and can be substituted by seeing things in the picture. There are a few that I would still like to read and are on my to-read list. My local library is pathetic so I don't know when I'll get to them.
[Palatinus] & [Kury] - Earthen Ring US
Pala
Maintankadonor

Postby Aubade » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:42 pm

In my opinion anyone who likes any of his other works and his style should read Haunted. It's a long book with an extremely interesting plot with some gruesome stories. For a snapshot, find the mini-story "Guts"
Aubade

Return to Arkham Asylum