Remove Advertisements

[PVE-PROT] Leveling Paladin

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[PVE-PROT] Leveling Paladin

Postby Punkss2 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:56 pm

Okay, here is my plan with this paly. I'm leveling her prot/holy (holy when dual spec is avail). Here is the catch, I only plan on going to 60 with her, then locking xp. What some good prot/holy specs, glyphs, etc would be good at that level. Also, what would be the best professions to have (currently mining and engineering).

This should be my armory: Prettypunk

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Punk
Thinking of starting WOW again....
Punkss2

Re: [PVE-PROT] Leveling Paladin

Postby Chicken » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:02 am

Most professions are pretty weak at level 60. You can get most professions up to 375 skill, but most of the bonuses for taking them are craftable items you won't be able to use (Example: The craftable epic goggles from engineering are equivalent to entry level 70 epics, but unfortunately require level 62 to use). The passive benefits from the gathering professions will work though, so Mining isn't a bad choice for tanking. The TBC ring enchants from enchanting should also work on all your items.

As for specs and such, in general I'd expect the best choice is to sink all 51 points you have available in one and the same tree. Glyphs is harder to pick out as most of the good glyphs improve abilities you won't have at level 60. For Prot for instance you won't be having either Divine Plea or Seal of Vengeance, the lack of Divine Plea also likely makes both points in Spiritual Attunement required; in part as well since the mana costs are going to be fairly expensive relative to your damage intake. Here's some rough ideas to work with, along with some commentary on choices made:

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#sZV0xA0uGGsIuMd - Divine Sacrifice and Divine Guardian are skipped; few bosses in classic content rely on the AoE damage these talents are optimized for, I pick up Reckoning with these points instead for some extra threat. Guarded by the Light is likewise skipped; its only benefit would be the spell damage reduction as there's no Divine Plea, and I found the benefits of other talents (Redoubt, Combat Expertise, Shield of the Templar) more attractive looking based on my memories of level 60.
http://www.wowhead.com/talent#sxAzgo0sVu0tgd - The Holy Build I have less comments on. I opted for picking up full Improved Lay on Hands, but those points could also have been used for Improved Blessing of Wisdom or Improved Concentration aura. I think this is basically pretty close to how a level 80 Holy Paladin would spend their points in the Holy tree, as I think they usually put the remaining 20 points into other talents. Beacon of Light is definitely valuable for classic content at least, lots of multi-tank fights in the old raid content.

I also choose to not include Glyphs above since I can't remember exactly how many glyph slots you have available at level 60.
Chicken

Postby Amirya » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:51 am

2 majors and 2 minors, if memory serves.

1 minor at level 70, and 1 major at level 80.
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Chasey » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:00 pm

Here is the build I did with my lower level prot I was leveling. The reason I picked this build was: I got PoJ which made grabbing multi mobs faster, SoComm so you do damage to 3 or 4 at a time,improved judgments becuase you had 8 seconds between attacks. After I filled (I think) my 13 points into ret I built my normal prot build aside from taking a few in reckoning and leaving DS/DG on the table.
http://www.wowhead.com/talent#sZV0xA0uGusMZpf0zb

For glyphs I used: 10% judgement damage and extra damage on exorcism. My minor was sense undead.

For Prof's I went with mining and herb due to the stam and extra heal from herb. I just hit outlands and dropped herb for JC. I'd recommend you stick with gathering til you get capped. At level 60 you don't really get any benifit from your profession like you do at 80.
Chasey

Postby Punkss2 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:42 am

Sweet, thank you guys for the advice!!
Thinking of starting WOW again....
Punkss2

Postby Kelaan » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:58 am

Engineering can be leveled to 375 at level 50.

http://www.wowhead.com/compare?items=23 ... 3836:18168

Nigh Invulnerability Belt (engineer 350 to use, Gnomish to learn. Get another toon to make it for you.)
Foreman's Reinforced Helmet (goblin engineer 350)
Goblin Rocket Launcher x2

(Or Poultryizer + death ray, if you prefer to pvp? Can't use the tankish hat, then, sadly.)

For shields, you COULD use the force-reactive disk, but frankly the quest shields in Hellfire Peninsula are comparable, the PvP GM shield is better (?), and the ones from AQ20 or even Molten Core are better also.

Gems make the nice hat replaceable: Circle's Stalwart Helmet has three sockets, so you could have a metric ton of stamina if you wanted. This also means that going Gnomish for the toys is just fine. (You lose the rocket damage but gain some minor CC.)

Still, the belt is an on-demand damage shield which will be almost half your health, etc, and it's hard to pass up 90 stamina in trinkets. I believe that's more benefit (stam-wise) than most professions. You could probably go Alchemy for the Guardian's Alchemist stone (54 defense), and there's the defense trinket from hellfire if you like, but generally tanking at 60 level seems to be less about being uncrittable and more about massive health buckets, simply because getting uncrittable is comparatively harder.
Kelaan

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes