[Holy-PVE] Valithria Heroic Spec/Gems

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[Holy-PVE] Valithria Heroic Spec/Gems

Postby Nikachelle » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:01 pm

I'll start off by saying that I haven't actually specced holy this expansion. I'll occasionally take out my holy gear, and heal as ret just for the lols.

But if I were to gem and spec purely for Valithria hard mode (10 man), what gems and spec should I focus on? I understand the general idea that pure intellect is what most holy paladins gem, but I was wondering if this would actually be optimized for Sindragosa. ie, would haste or spell power be better?

Edit: Blargh I meant Valithria. >.<

Edit2: As a side note, we already have the content down, but I haven't actually healed it myself.
Last edited by Nikachelle on Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Re: [Holy-PVE] Valithria Spec/Gems

Postby Levantine » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:41 pm

Spellpower gems etc for Valithria, iirc. The Emerald Vigour stacks make mana infinite.
Levantine

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:48 am

Levantine wrote:Spellpower gems etc for Valithria, iirc. The Emerald Vigour stacks make mana infinite.

Kind of what I figured re: mana. I just wasn't sure if haste would be more beneficial over spell power.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Shoju » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:14 am

Nikachelle wrote:
Levantine wrote:Spellpower gems etc for Valithria, iirc. The Emerald Vigour stacks make mana infinite.

Kind of what I figured re: mana. I just wasn't sure if haste would be more beneficial over spell power.

Somewhere around ~675 haste is where you will want to end up.

The bigger question is: What will your role be on The fight? Will you be taking portals, or will you be the healer out in the normal realm solo healing. I assume from your question that you will be taking portals. In that case, I would probably gem full on spellpower after getting to the haste cap (sherck can give you the exact number), and I would glyph Seal of Light (5% more heals), spec Divinity, and if you don't need the raid utility of the prot tree (which would mean that you are healing valithria and only valithria, you could even cheat and use a 51/5/15 spec, though it would be worthless for anything else.

If I were to spec my holy spec like this, I would end up somewhere around 41% Crit on my holy spells with my gear, but I'm still flaunting a fair amount of pure int gems.
Shoju

Postby warden » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:28 am

Probably one of the best performances I've seen on this fight was a pvp geared/gemmed/enchanged pally using holy light instead of the normal flash. He was just healing an alt run, but absolutely wrecked this because his spellpower/crit was so high. On a normal fight, he would have been oom almost instantly bombing holy lights like that on the other hand.

"Don't facepalm at me... Ret paladins don't facepalm each other. Its against the code!" -Anafielle
warden
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:30 am

The first time we did Val heroic, we used four healers. I have no idea if this was optimized but we got it on our second shot so we'll probably stick with it. Two healers raid healed and the other two took the portals and healed Val. Solo tanked.

Definitely wouldn't need the raid utility of the prot tree as the other tank is a paladin. This would be purely a gimmick set/spec that I equip whenever my co-tank doesn't have holy spec that week.

I'll look into haste capping and gemming pure SP and see where my stats end up.

Thanks for the help guys!
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby andx » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:51 am

Warden wrote:using holy light instead of the normal flash.

I'm assuming you mean he uses flash for PVP. With the 30% buff I know flash is more of what people use but its always Holy Light for Valithria, if you have pallies not using holy light (with glyph) on val especially heroic val, then something is horribly wrong
Maybe I just have a disease or an addiction to tanking, my gf says I'm a masochist I say I like it rough, either way I'm a tank and I can't escape it.
andx

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:54 am

andx wrote:

I'm assuming you mean he uses flash for PVP. With the 30% buff I know flash is more of what people use but its always Holy Light for Valithria, if you have pallies not using holy light (with glyph) on val especially heroic val, then something is horribly wrong

Well "horribly wrong" is pretty much "we don't know how to play holy and are subbing in for the fact that we haven't had a holy paladin since Ulduar". Both of us main tanks are subbing in healing for Val to help out. Neither of us really knows all too much about what we're doing.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Re: [Holy-PVE] Valithria Heroic Spec/Gems

Postby Levantine » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:07 am

Protip: Beacon of Light + Glyph of Holy Light = broken op lolz.

Beacon Val, heal someone else (I believe the common tactic was a Tenacity Hunter pet specced into Blood of the Rhino that's parked under the dragon), watch Val get the HL bombs and the Glyph splashes that are spazzing out and double dipping from entirely too many things.
Levantine

Postby andx » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:30 am

Levantine wrote:Protip: Beacon of Light + Glyph of Holy Light = broken op lolz.

Beacon Val, heal someone else (I believe the common tactic was a Tenacity Hunter pet specced into Blood of the Rhino that's parked under the dragon), watch Val get the HL bombs and the Glyph splashes that are spazzing out and double dipping from entirely too many things.

It was but they fixed that buff. but yeah double dipping on the splash with the Glyph is awesome.
Maybe I just have a disease or an addiction to tanking, my gf says I'm a masochist I say I like it rough, either way I'm a tank and I can't escape it.
andx

Postby warden » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:06 am

andx wrote:

Correct, he was almost purely a pvp player, so he was a flash spammer there. His normal PvE toon is a lock. He was probably flash-healing the other 9 bosses before Val, but honestly on a normal-mode alt run I didn't bother to look since no one was coming close to dying.

"Don't facepalm at me... Ret paladins don't facepalm each other. Its against the code!" -Anafielle
warden
Maintankadonor

Postby Shathus » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:04 pm

I don't think they've fixed it. From our last heroic win
healing logs
Code: Select all
[21:54:20.311] Shathus Glyph of Holy Light Valithria Dreamwalker +3070
[21:54:21.552] Shathus Glyph of Holy Light Valithria Dreamwalker +53147
[21:54:23.135] Shathus Glyph of Holy Light Valithria Dreamwalker +71159
[21:54:24.337] Shathus Glyph of Holy Light Valithria Dreamwalker +3969
[21:54:25.538] Shathus Glyph of Holy Light Valithria Dreamwalker +107137
[21:54:27.141] Shathus Glyph of Holy Light Valithria Dreamwalker +107273
[21:54:28.373] Shathus Glyph of Holy Light Valithria Dreamwalker +72183
[21:54:29.548] Shathus Glyph of Holy Light Valithria Dreamwalker +71522
[21:54:30.761] Shathus Glyph of Holy Light Valithria Dreamwalker +72559
[21:54:31.994] Shathus Glyph of Holy Light Valithria Dreamwalker +72021
[21:54:33.183] Shathus Glyph of Holy Light Valithria Dreamwalker +69705
[21:54:34.365] Shathus Glyph of Holy Light Valithria Dreamwalker +69557
[21:54:37.196] Shathus Glyph of Holy Light Valithria Dreamwalker +38180
[21:54:38.358] Shathus Glyph of Holy Light Valithria Dreamwalker +40323
[21:54:39.574] Shathus Glyph of Holy Light Ghaanam +214 (O: 27215)
[21:54:39.574] Shathus Glyph of Holy Light Valithria Dreamwalker +27428
[21:54:40.791] Shathus Glyph of Holy Light Ghaanam +0 (O: 27233)
[21:54:40.791] Shathus Glyph of Holy Light Valithria Dreamwalker +27233
[21:54:41.997] Shathus Glyph of Holy Light Ghaanam +0 (O: 40638)
[21:54:41.997] Shathus Glyph of Holy Light Valithria Dreamwalker +40638

There are some pretty big #s in there. As others said, go SP. If nothing else, swapping your trinkets and libram can be enough. Otherwise just beacon the dragon, i just HL spam myself standing next to her to make sure she gets the glyph splash. pop your wings with bloodlust, 2p T10 is good here too.

couple other tips:
1)Crusader aura still makes you swim faster to my knowledge. Aura Mastery for super fast orb pickup.
2)On heroic the orbs also do damage to you, so as your stack gets higher you start losing health, this coupled with a fall from the dream can kill you if you're not paying attention. Just remember to holy shock yourself while flying around
3)At the start before you get a few stacks, you may run low on mana by the time the first portal opens, especially if you're forsaking INT, remember to pop DP while swimming around until you get enough stacks for the regen.
Shathus
Maintankadonor

Postby Flex » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:42 pm

so, um, first person view while swimming worked wonder to get me picking up the orbs. Went from at most 6 a phase to like 10 a phase.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes