Remove Advertisements

BC raid tank, haven't played in 2 years, just hit 80

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Re: BC raid tank, haven't played in 2 years, just hit 80

Postby Brauun » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:35 am

econ21 wrote:(1) Don't pull with avenger shield (unlike BC heroics with their shield plus CC pulls, in Wotlk, you pull by HoRec and charging in, for the most part). Instead, save it for the most far out caster and use it to draw them in to your AOE once you have things going.

WTF are you talking about?! CC pulls in TBC?! Blasphemy!
Good advice though. ;)

econ21 wrote:(2) Use Holy Wrath on cooldown. It gives snap AOE aggro and also buys you time with the stun. Almost everything in the ICC5 mans is undead (switch on sense undead and use the minor glyph).

Good thanks, I'll look into this!
All your mobs are belong to us. You have no chance to survive make your time.
Brauun

Postby Shoju » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:06 am

From where you are:

You said that you are a little poor, so I will try and keep this guide on the cheap side of things.

1.) Queue specifically for Normal ToC, and H:AN. in H:An, the second boss drops a stam trinket. From ToC norm, you are looking for The Black Heart - Must have

2.) Queue for FoS norm, keep working at getting upgrades.
3.) Queue for H:VH Do this before you queue for a random heroic. You might get lucky and double dip

Mine Mine Mine Mine Mine Mine Mine Mine Mine Mine Mine Mine as much as you can. Saronite Swordbreakers can be really cheap if you farm the mats yourself.

4.) I would do a light bit of enchanting. It will help you a lot, and people wont think that you are a total lazy bum.
Shield - Def.
Chest - Def.
Cloak - Def.
Head - if nothign else, and armor kit. (stam)
gloves - armor kit (stam)
legs- depending on your server, you can get the blue armor kit pretty cheap.
For some reason it wont show me what your neck is. it keeps telling me not found.

5.) Hodir Dailies. The shoulder enchant is good to have while leveling up since you sometimes need the def from it to get 540, which will help you a lot in getting the weekly done, which will be a great source of beginner gear
Shoju

Postby Brauun » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:03 am

Saronite Swordbreakers look like they're worth getting crafted. I'm gonna start running ToC for the loots and hope to get a couple of Crusader Orbs. BTW, what's the best place to mine Titanium Ore?
Brauun

Postby econ21 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:34 am

Brauun wrote:BTW, what's the best place to mine Titanium Ore?

I like Wintergrasp - maybe I am wrong, but it feels like it has a higher ratio of Titanium to Saronite than either Sholazaar or Icecrown. Regardless, its quite compact to cover the circumference. And farming the big fire elementals is quite lucrative (there are only about 4 of them at a time, so it's not a big distraction - once you have done one circle, they've respsawned).
econ21

Postby Brauun » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:03 am

Other question, what's considered acceptable HP to get in basic 10-man raiding? Or even to get into heroics without getting laughed at? I know I have quite a way to go before entering any raid but I'm curious. I currently sit at 22.5k unbuffed HP (but I am missing enchants on almost every piece of gear, working on it, and gems).
Brauun

Postby econ21 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:51 am

I would say 22.5k unbuffed HP is about the minimum for heroics, excluding TOC and the ICC5 ones. That's about what you would have had back in the day, when Wotlk came out and people first went into heroics.

For ICC, I would shoot for around 35k HP unbuffed. Again, this is probably what people first entered ICC with. With the 30% ICC buff, it is comfortable.

In this late period of the expansion, people are over-geared and may still gripe, but the above are sufficient.

Other opinions here:
http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/ ... =viewtopic
econ21

Postby Arcand » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:45 am

Brauun wrote:Other question, what's considered acceptable HP to get in basic 10-man raiding? Or even to get into heroics without getting laughed at? I know I have quite a way to go before entering any raid but I'm curious. I currently sit at 22.5k unbuffed HP (but I am missing enchants on almost every piece of gear, working on it, and gems).

The average heroic healer these days will keep you up even with 22.5 - they'll have to work harder than they're accustomed to but
they have the raw power to do it, no problem.

I fear your major headache is going to be overgeared DPS who aren't used to being smart about threat, and who believe that threat
management is your sole responsibility.
Arcand

Postby Brauun » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:53 pm

So, after a week of playing, here's where I stand.
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... &cn=Brauun

I still need to upgrade a couple of rare gems to their epic counterparts, enchant my new main-hand weapon (still poor, working on that gold), change the enchant on my boots and finish grinding reputation with the Sons of Hodir for the upgraded shoulder enchant.

I haven't gotten into a raid yet. I've watched TankSpot's videos for Trial of the Crusader (10-man). Think I might try to get into a pug run, and hope all goes well. What do you guys think?
Brauun

Postby econ21 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:41 pm

Brauun wrote:I still need to upgrade a couple of rare gems to their epic counterparts, enchant my new main-hand weapon (still poor, working on that gold), change the enchant on my boots and finish grinding reputation with the Sons of Hodir for the upgraded shoulder enchant.

Weapon enchants for tanking are surprisingly unimpressive, imo, so I would not sweat that too much. I plumped for a plus hit and critical strike one as best for my workhorse weapon - stats so secondary to tanking I'd not look at them if they were slot bonuses. You could stick a weapon chain on it and wait for a better weapon to put top tier enchant on. You might consider the PVP shoulders (stamina+resilience) over the Hodir ones - see Digren's guide to gems and enchants.

You might consider the wrathful bracers available for honour (also the neck is an option). Or the crafted ones.

The next emblem purchase for you is probably the armor trinket, as PUGs won't like you having blue gear.

Think I might try to get into a pug run, and hope all goes well. What do you guys think?

Go for it, although PUGS often fail TOC nowadays due to lack of tactical knowledge. You'd be on safer ground with VOA and the weekly raid. Also look out for ICC reputation runs to get the rep ring and feel for the place.
econ21

Postby Brauun » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:11 pm

econ21 wrote:Weapon enchants for tanking are surprisingly unimpressive, imo, so I would not sweat that too much. I plumped for a plus hit and critical strike one as best for my workhorse weapon - stats so secondary to tanking I'd not look at them if they were slot bonuses. You could stick a weapon chain on it and wait for a better weapon to put top tier enchant on.

I'm still needing a bit of hit rating right now, so I'll go with the +25 HR / +25 CR enchant for the moment. However, once Hit capped, what should I go with? I've read the discussions, people go with Agility or Mongoose. Agility is always there, while Mongoose is a proc, making Agility more reliable, but most tanks I've looked at seem to go with Mongoose anyway. I haven't found any absolute consensus on this, aside from "don't go with Accuracy if you're Hit capped". Any thoughts?

econ21 wrote:You might consider the PVP shoulders (stamina+resilience) over the Hodir ones - see Digren's guide to gems and enchants.

+30 stamina is obviously good for EH, but trading Defense and Dodge for Resilience? Seems kinda like a waste to me. I think I'm gonna stick with the Defense and Dodge enchant, I'm old school like that. Feel free to school on why I should go with the PvP enchant instead.

econ21 wrote:The next emblem purchase for you is probably the armor trinket, as PUGs won't like you having blue gear.

Definetely! Can't wait to get my hands on it!
Brauun

Postby econ21 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:06 am

With weapon enchants, the "consensus" seems to be that accuracy, mongoose and blood draining are all fine - just pick one. You may find that in your ultimate raiding gear, you are not hit capped so accuracy may still have a role - that's why I use it. If I was afraid of dying, I would pick blood draining (and have put that on my proper tank weapon - but I use a slow one hander with accuracy most of the time). Mongoose is popular and works out as slightly more agility on average than the plain + agility enchant, but as you say, is spikey.

The preference for the PVP shoulder enchant is based on valuing stamina over avoidance: even without valuing the resilience at all, raiders often think it's a good trade. But note that the resilience from the PVP enchant will to a greater or lesser extent compensate for what you lose from the Hodir one's defence in terms of uncrittability. What I do is mouse over the resilience and defence stats for my character to check they combine to reduce critical hit chances by 5.6%. Resilience can make a non-negligible contribution - point for point, I think it contributes more than defence.
econ21

Postby masterpoobaa » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:09 pm

Accuracy is the best IMHO.
While leveling and being an under geared 80, DPS tards in epix will be riding your ass with threat - so accuracy is a great enchant for you to use.

While leveling TO 80, make sure you do at least 1 random a day for 2 triumph badges.

+30 shoulder enchant is pro. If only for getting you out of the
"OMG Fail tank only has 28k health L2P Nub" retard zone soon after dingging 80.

Soon as you ding 80, See if you can get some friends together to FARM normal ToC - Both for the stamina trinket and epic i200 gear.

P.S. Mouth Breathing Retards (MBR's) who insult you for not having uberepixluls gear are just that. Retards. Feel free to ignore them so they never run with you again, or even better, kick them from the group once you reach the last boss. :twisted:
Ellifain @ Khaz'Goroth does not approve of torture, save where there's experience/rep/loot involved.
masterpoobaa

Location: Brisbane, Australia, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe.

Postby Mahale » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:09 pm

Wow going through the same thing myself right now but I've yet to get to 80 :)

How far in terms of the early wotlk instances will tbc epics take you?
Mahale

Postby econ21 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:56 pm

Mahale wrote:How far in terms of the early wotlk instances will tbc epics take you?

They should be fine - the early wotlk instances are not that hard. Just keep an eye out for quest rewards and crafted upgrades to season your epics with. The wotlk stuff often comes with a lot of defence which will help reduce criticals. I would not worry too much about gear until you reach level 78-80, as it is quickly replaced.
econ21

Postby Barathorn » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:32 am

econ21 wrote:
Mahale wrote:How far in terms of the early wotlk instances will tbc epics take you?

They should be fine - the early wotlk instances are not that hard. Just keep an eye out for quest rewards and crafted upgrades to season your epics with. The wotlk stuff often comes with a lot of defence which will help reduce criticals. I would not worry too much about gear until you reach level 78-80, as it is quickly replaced.

Definately this. I tanked most of the early heroics this expansion in a mix of Blues from WotLk and Karazhan/Zul Aman/Isle of T6 Lookylikee epics and was fine for the most part. Obviously I don't suggest doing that now as upgrades are easy to get but be warned, being a new tank at level 80 is not a nice experiance [see my case study in the gear forums] and you do need to have thick skin.

I would advise all new level 80 tanks who PuG to remember the following,

Stamina may be the first thing that PuG's look at but it is a lack of threat that will get me booted from heroics.

Work on nailing your rotation, PuG's will forgive low health if you don't lose aggro.

Barathorn
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

PreviousNext

Return to Basic Training & Talents