What am I doing wrong? Spec/Threat

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

What am I doing wrong? Spec/Threat

Postby Brow » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:17 pm

Howdy all. First time poster long time reader!

I am having trouble getting my hands around what I am doing wrong here. First things first, link to armory:

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-talents.xml?r=Doomhammer&cn=Brow&group=1

Heroics are no problem at all. _Most_ ten man ICC's are ok as well, however in 25 mans, I have a heck of a time maintaining threat. Im unsure if I am gemming wrong, too low hit, or bad spec but it is driving me batty. I am using the 696 rotation (Hammer, holy shield, shield slam, concecration, judge) but still having issues keeping threat. I know my hit is fairly low but I am not totally sold on goodness out of pumping up my hit.

I have been gone from the pally for a bit so I may be missing something, but is anything about my armory drunk and disorderly?

Appreciate all the help folks.
Brow

Re: What am I doing wrong? Spec/Threat

Postby Gamingdevil » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:33 pm

Crusade is better than SotP, especially in ICC. 1 point in Reckoning is worthless.

Drop those points and go down to Crusade in Retribution (while you're there, pick up Seal of Command and Vindication)

About your rotation, from what you typed, that's not 9696 at all. It's alternating a 6 second cooldown, with a 9 (8) second one. So HotR, HS, ShoR, Judge, HotR, Cons, ShoR, HS, etc.

Also, ditch Glyph of Spiritual Attunement and get Judgement or Righteous Defense if you're missing taunts.
Our single best Minor Glyph is Sense Undead, especially in ICC, so you should pick it up.
If it is weak, kill it before it gets stronger. If it is strong, weaken it.
Gamingdevil

Postby Levantine » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:48 pm

Like Gaming said, you say you're doing the right rotation but from what you've told us, you aren't. If you can give us a parse to go through we'd be in a better position to help out.

PS everything that Gaming said was correct. I'd personally advise you to spec like this. It's the highest TPS build that Paladins have access to that takes all relevant mitigation and survivability talents. Seal of Command is also pure unadulterated amazingsauce for AoE tanking.
Levantine

Postby Brow » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:03 pm

My apologies. I have no idea what I was thinking on my rotation. Been so long I just press buttons. The rotation I am actually using is Hammer, Holy SHield, Shield of Righteousness, consecration, judge. Drop Cons when needed for mana purposes.

I have made the suggestions above and picked up SOC as well. Will get a chance to try it later this week in 25 man. Appreciate the feedback/help.
Brow

Postby Gamingdevil » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:59 am

Brow wrote:My apologies. I have no idea what I was thinking on my rotation. Been so long I just press buttons. The rotation I am actually using is Hammer, Holy SHield, Shield of Righteousness, consecration, judge. Drop Cons when needed for mana purposes.

I have made the suggestions above and picked up SOC as well. Will get a chance to try it later this week in 25 man. Appreciate the feedback/help.

That is still incorrect, both consecration and judgement are 9's, meaning they should definitely not be following another. Although, right now you seem to have wrote the exact same as your original post, so maybe it's just a typo?
Gamingdevil

Postby edsdame » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:04 am

Btw is there any addon for the beginners to get used to the 696 rotation? Could come in handy to learn the rythm.
edsdame

Postby Gamingdevil » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:16 am

I've never used it, but this might help.
Gamingdevil

Postby Treck » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:54 am

edsdame wrote:Btw is there any addon for the beginners to get used to the 696 rotation? Could come in handy to learn the rythm.

The easiest way to get into the 696969 rotation, is to just start with a 6sec ability, then follow up with a 9 and then your second 6 ability.
After this you just press whatever that isnt on CD.
This will get you going on a rotation that aslong as your pressing your abilities each GCD, you hardly cant break it (obviously you always have to use hammer/shield each time right as it comes off CD)
Treck

Postby theckhd » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:14 am

Gamingdevil wrote:I've never used it, but this might help.

clcret also has a prot module for teaching 969. IIRC it's the successor to P.I.S.S.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby edsdame » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:22 am

Thanks for the tips, gonna take a look at both addons. CD watching is also a good one, but I used the FCFS-like "rotation" for sooo long that I will need some help to adapt to the new one. (Low threat is a great lord... :/)
edsdame

Postby inthedrops » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:03 am

I highly recommend learning the rotation without using an addon. There are so many fights in this game that prevent a consistent rotation that it's worth learning to "feel" what button you should push next instead of looking at a graphic.

Perfect example is heroic LK. You spend so much time moving, and he spends so much time casting, that you're often out of range from a HotR or ShoR. So you get good at maybe throwing up a Holy Shield instead of using a 6 ability and correcting a rotation later. Or maybe you're at a spot where it's good to drop a consecrate since that's where you plan on stopping, etc.

I admit I find the clcret addon useful for Ret, especially with the 2 piece set bonus resetting Divine Storm, and how it only shows Exorcism when Art of War is up. But Prot doesn't have those mechanics.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby theckhd » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:16 am

inthedrops wrote:g the rotation without using an addon. There are so many fights in this game that prevent a consistent rotation that it's worth learning to "feel" what button you should push next instead of looking at a graphic.

I think we're talking about different stages of development here. For building up the muscle memory and getting used to the feel of the rotation, using an addon makes perfect sense.

The type of stuff you're suggesting is what I'd call "advanced training." Once he can perform the rotation flawlessly without the addon he can worry about learning how to adapt and modify it to handle unusual circumstances.

edsdame wrote:Thanks for the tips, gonna take a look at both addons. CD watching is also a good one, but I used the FCFS-like "rotation" for sooo long that I will need some help to adapt to the new one. (Low threat is a great lord... :/)

969 is an FCFS rotation. It's HotR > HS > ShoR > JoV > Cons.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby edsdame » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:21 am

theckhd wrote:969 is an FCFS rotation. It's HotR > HS > ShoR > JoV > Cons.

Ah. In that case I would call my technique pressing-buttons-without-any-special-order-and-also-consecration-looks-pretty.
edsdame

Postby Brow » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:40 am

Man I really need to double check when I get home then. I know using whatever rotation I am using that I have no waittime on cooldowns. I'll double check when I get home, and redo my ui to ensure that I am doing it correctly.

Though that being said, the changes to spec have helped already.
Brow

Postby theckhd » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:06 am

edsdame wrote:Ah. In that case I would call my technique pressing-buttons-without-any-special-order-and-also-consecration-looks-pretty.

That sounds frighteningly close to my rationale for using Nibelung on my warlock.

"But it spawns pretty smitey things!"
theckhd

Next

Return to Basic Training & Talents