Remove Advertisements

Healadin Build&Upgrade Help?

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Healadin Build&Upgrade Help?

Postby Vycera » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:48 am

Hello all!

So, Ive been messing around with a healadin, and I think I have a fairly decent build. As I am now getting into more ICC however, I was hoping some of you guys here can look over my build, as well as my gear and tell me the best rout to go for both. Im looking for the most cost effective and most time spent with item type of upgrades. Example: It wouldn't make sense to buy the T9 gloves if two weeks later I have the emblems for T10.

Here is my Armory page:
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... &cn=Vycera

Currency:
35 Frost
1 Triumph
13985 Honor
47 Stone Keeper Shards
8 Wintergrasp marks of Honor
2114 Gold

Note: I have absolutely 0 materials for the nice crafted gear, but would be willing to try and save up for them if it would be beneficial. Boots for example,the Protectors of Life, would be great but they cost without materials 6.5k on my server. Gathering the Saronites is roughly 600-1k per.

Thanks for all the help!
Vycera

Re: Healadin Build&Upgrade Help?

Postby sherck » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:07 am

I cannot look at your Armory from behind my firewall so I only have a couple of random thoughts.

-- The 30% ICC buff really turns the Holy Light vs Flash of Light build argument on it's head. I am, and have been, a Holy Light kind of Healadin but I think for someone who is entering ICC now AND will not be working without the 30% buff AND will not be doing lots of Heroic modes, that I would probably target being a FoL kind of Holy Paladin.

Right now, I often bomb 30k Holy Light crits of which often goes 90-100% to overhealing. Sure, when you are on Fester 3rd Inhale, you need to be bombing Holy Light but for 85% of your run, FoL probably does as an effective of a job for a Healadin with 3.0 -3.5k SP and the 30% buff.

-- So, with that in mind, the Intellect you get on your gear is sufficient and you want to gem/enchant/focus on Spell Power.

-- Your first two Emblem of Frost purchases should be the SP trinket (Purified Lunar Dust?) and the Cloak for 110 EoF total. After that, your next EoF purchase will be whatever T-10 piece will upgrade you more based on your current gear.

-- If you are running with the 245 Intellect EoT trinket, you will probably want to run Heroic PoS to get the SP trinket off the final boss (I-level 232 but more effective for a FoL paladin). If you PvP, those trinkets are good too.

-- You need to be at 676 Haste in order to cap your FoL down to a 1.0 sec cast time with buffs up. Haste to the cap is your #1 priority.

-- MP5 is not worth a ton to a FoL Paladin so after hitting the Haste cap, stack Crit as much as you can but more SP and more Intellect is always better even if the piece is Haste/MP5 and you are over the Haste cap.

-- I see no compelling reason to not spec Holy/Prot. The extra 11% healing (Divinity, Imp Devo Aura) is worth way too much and as a kicker, you get the Divine Sacrifice mini-CD. Standard 51 points in Holy and 20 points in Prot. Ret spec is still dead.

-- The 245 crafted MAIL chest is better than the Plate one (has Haste instead of Crit) and the 245 EoT non-tier shoulders are good (Pauldrons of the Cavilier). ICC ring along with the non-Spirit 245 EoT ring are a good pairing. Either of the 232 SP necks out of H FoS are good until DBS-10 drops his Soulcleave Pendant.

SP food and flask are good for FoL Paladins.

That is all off the top of my head. Your gearing may already be wall past that since you talk about having EoT for Tier-10 but I would seriously look at going to the FoL route.

If you have specific gear questions that I am not firewalled again seeing, I am happy to help.

Cheers,
sherck

Postby Shoju » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:51 am

Vycera wrote:Hello all!

So, Ive been messing around with a healadin, and I think I have a fairly decent build. As I am now getting into more ICC however, I was hoping some of you guys here can look over my build, as well as my gear and tell me the best rout to go for both. Im looking for the most cost effective and most time spent with item type of upgrades. Example: It wouldn't make sense to buy the T9 gloves if two weeks later I have the emblems for T10.

Here is my Armory page:
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... &cn=Vycera

Currency:
35 Frost
1 Triumph
13985 Honor
47 Stone Keeper Shards
8 Wintergrasp marks of Honor
2114 Gold

Note: I have absolutely 0 materials for the nice crafted gear, but would be willing to try and save up for them if it would be beneficial. Boots for example,the Protectors of Life, would be great but they cost without materials 6.5k on my server. Gathering the Saronites is roughly 600-1k per.

Thanks for all the help!

Hello Vycera.

There are a couple of tweaks that you can make with your build.

1.) Unyeilding Faith is a pretty mediocre PVE talent. I put those points in IMP. Lay on Hands.

2.) Imp Concentration Aura, while good is probably not going to be as good as putting those three talents in: 1/2 blessed hands, and maxing out Holy Power.

3.) In the Protection Tree, IMP. Righteous Fury is going to be a better use of points tha maxing out the armor talent. There should be no point during a boss fight where IMP RF is a liability. Maybe with adds, but even then, the tanks know where the adds are headed. I like the extra damage reduction personally.

Gear:

Head: I would upgrade the int/mp5 gem to an epic cut. Enchant it. Most people are using the SP/MP5 enchant now, I still use the crit enchant. It comes down to do you need the extra regen, or some random throughput?

Neck: Looks good. There is a crit haste neck in H:FOS that is pretty good as well.

Cloak: If you aren't reliably killing Halion10, BPC10, or Valithria 25, this should be your first EoF purchase. Enchant for cloak should be 23 haste.

Shoulders: You need Sons of Hodir Rep for an enchant. the spellpower on the pvp one is fine, but the resilience is really wasted.

Chest: I would look to see how expensive the 245 crafted healing chest is on your server. The Crusader orbs should be really cheap (about 100g each on my realm) the titansteel shouldn't be hard to come buy, leaving the big variable the Eternal life which seems to fluxuate in price greatly (I have seen it <10g, and then shoot back up to 30g per), and the chest takes 20. Sindragosa10 (cloth), Putricide10(plate), BQL10(mail), Rotface25(plate), BPC25(mail), all have chest drops, but outside of the plate, you might be waiting in line. Enchant the new chest with 10 stats or MP5, depending on what you need.

Bracers: Get the 245 crafted. They are really cheap. Enchant bracers with 16 intellect.

Gloves: Get the t9 gloves. They are such a large upgrade from what you are wearing. Enchant them with 28 spellpower.

Belt: I can't see what belt you are wearing, but if it isn't at least 232 run the crap out of H:HOR for the cloth belt at the end. Short of something from ToC25 or better, it is the best paladin belt out there. Belt Buckle, and gem int.

Legs: Leg enchant. 50sp/30sta

Boots: Are one of the hardest upgrades for a holy paladin. Farm H:FoS until you get those, or the boots from Marrowgar in 10 man. Enchant: MP5 or icewalker.

Rings: Get the other Emblem of triumph ring to replace the pvp ring.

Trinket: Get the emblem of triumph intellect trinket to replace the blue.

Weapon: Is a good beginning ICC healing weapon. Toss the cheap 50spellpower on it until you get something better.

Shield: looks good

Libram: looks good

Is this an alt? You don't have any professions, and are really selling yourself short by not having them.

Listen to Scherk where he and I differ.
Shoju

Postby Shathus » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:57 am

Spec looks mostly good (I prefer the prot tree as well for the utility), though I would lose the points in Imp Concentration Aura and Unyielding Faith. To help with regen, put 2 into Imp BoW and finish out Holy Power with a point in Imp LoH.

Next biggest thing is to just get enchants on your gear. Especially the 232+ stuff. I'm guessing you just got it recently, but that's just giving away free stats. Even for the ilvl 200 stuff, just stick the cheaper enchants on those.

Sherck makes a good point about the ICC buff changing some healing philosophies, though my recommendation is to still gear/gem/enchant for INT like you would for a normal HL build. and just get an assortment of trinkets to swap based on healing style. SP trinkets for FoL and INT trinkets for HL. This gives you flexibility to change for different fights, and also helps out for non-ICC raids. ToC and RS won't give you the 30% benefit so you want to make sure you can still heal those.

I'd get the EoT Int trinket in that regard. The EoF one is good for the SP gains, but I would guess your Frost Emblems would be better suited upgrading some of your other gear first.
Shathus
Maintankadonor

Postby Vycera » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:05 am

Hey!

Thanks for the heads up with the talents. As far as gear goes:

Head: Had that plan to enchant it, but dont have the rep yet. So, instead my idea to hold for now is to get the WG one.I was hesitant about the epic cut as they are around somwehere between 1.5 and 300g. But, if you think it is worth it I will have no problems dropping the cash on one.

Neck: Actually, I have the other haste pendant as well, just waiting to put it on til I am 100% confident with my mana regen.

Cloak: While I am not killing said bosses regularly (I mostly PuG as my guilds raids are all much more equiped and running hard modes) I am a little hesitant to buy the EoF cloak. Reason being, i JUST bought the 264pvp cloak and was thinking of keeping it until all other areas were upgrades accordingly.

Shoulders: Noted. Rep grinds make me cry.

Chest: I will look into it. I am hesitant about going outside of Plate simply because my server frowns upon that. Enchant noted.

Bracers: Noted.

Gloves: Now here is my question: If I can afford to wait for the cloak, I am 2 weeks(ish) from being able to purchase the T10 gloves. Do you think that would be better than farming triumphs for a couple days and getting the t9?

Belt: Noted. Again, a little hesitant about going outside o plate, but if I must.

Legs: Will do!

Boots: No problem.

Rings: Okay!

Trinket: Thumbs up!

This is not an alt sadly. My big thing with professions is they are very expensive, and un-conducive to leveling. I could pick them up now (Was thinking about Blacksmith/Mining, or if I can ever get the gold, Blacksmith/Jewelcrafting) but I would be slightly intimidated that I would see no decent returns and my gold would be dwindled down next to nothing. I dont normally have a ton of time to play, just enouogh to do some randoms or a rad or two, and not on a regular schedule. Work+FIance+College+Other hobbies=little game time
Vycera

Postby Shoju » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:03 am

Vycera wrote:Hey!
Head: Had that plan to enchant it, but dont have the rep yet. So, instead my idea to hold for now is to get the WG one.I was hesitant about the epic cut as they are around somwehere between 1.5 and 300g. But, if you think it is worth it I will have no problems dropping the cash on one.

Definitely worth it

Neck: Actually, I have the other haste pendant as well, just waiting to put it on til I am 100% confident with my mana regen.

Good plan.

Cloak: While I am not killing said bosses regularly (I mostly PuG as my guilds raids are all much more equiped and running hard modes) I am a little hesitant to buy the EoF cloak. Reason being, i JUST bought the 264pvp cloak and was thinking of keeping it until all other areas were upgrades accordingly.

IMO, PvP gear for a healer (especially a paladin) is a REALLY bad idea. You sacrifice Int
for more stam, and secondary stats for resilience. If you have the extra emblems, the EoV cloak will be more rounded, and IMO better than making due with a pvp cloak.

Shoulders: Noted. Rep grinds make me cry.

The rep grind for Sons of Hodir is a LOT better than it used to be. Run a ton of randoms. Once you are done with EoT's, throw them at the rep items for Sons. You get to honored off the intro quests now. Super easy grind.

Chest: I will look into it. I am hesitant about going outside of Plate simply because my server frowns upon that. Enchant noted.

If your server frowns on it, they are bad. I'm sorry, no other way to put it, and I know it sounds harsh. You are a healer. You are meant to heal people. You use the best gear available for the job. Same with DPS. I will never look down on someone for maximizing their gear by using lower armor class gear, because Blizzard is the one who didn't set it up to work differently.

Gloves: Now here is my question: If I can afford to wait for the cloak, I am 2 weeks(ish) from being able to purchase the T10 gloves. Do you think that would be better than farming triumphs for a couple days and getting the t9?

If you are going to buy gloves, I would buy the 264 off set pieces. I will admit though that healing is my off spec, so I am replacing horridly weak pieces so that I'm passable when the time comes that I'm needed to heal. Sherck would be a better judge of what would be the right way to go.

Belt: Noted. Again, a little hesitant about going outside o plate, but if I must.

Honestly, it will just be a holdover piece until you get the Lich Killer's Lanyard. That thing is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO nice.

This is not an alt sadly. My big thing with professions is they are very expensive, and un-conducive to leveling. I could pick them up now (Was thinking about Blacksmith/Mining, or if I can ever get the gold, Blacksmith/Jewelcrafting) but I would be slightly intimidated that I would see no decent returns and my gold would be dwindled down next to nothing. I dont normally have a ton of time to play, just enouogh to do some randoms or a rad or two, and not on a regular schedule. Work+FIance+College+Other hobbies=little game time

Understood. if you have limited playtime, I would suggest the following Profession combinations:

1.) Alch + Herbalism. This is quite possibly the easiest combo to level in the game. I went from 0-450 Alchemy on a Priest Alt (who doesn't have herbalism) in 3 hours, for 1500 gold buying everything off the AH. The herb market has plummeted from where it was when glyphs were the rage at the beginning of the Expansion. There are some fantastic guides out there. You will probably have to fudge quantities based on how things are priced on your server, but it is REALLY easy, and will provide you with a stable income at 80. Epic Gems, Flasks, and good consumable pots will make you good money. Don't forget to get a specialization. They are in Outland. I have an xmute spec alch, and an Elixir spec'd alch. While elixir procs more often, I make more money from the xmute procs on epic gems. When you get a 5 proc of Cardinal Rubies, you just pocketed ~400g for free. Plus, More potent flasks, and longer flask duration will save you gold while raiding.

Herbing is easy. Herbs are everywhere. Start in your faction's TBC starting zone (Dranei or BE) and go to town. Don't forget that there is cross polination at the end of old world and TBC. Hellfire and Zangarmarsh have a good chunk of Vanilla herbs. This makes it nice when trying to finish off 300 alch as you can farm ahead while still getting the herbs you need.

2.) Herbalism and Inscription.
Inscription isn't going to make the casual player gold. it just isn't going to happen. It will however (for a non tank) remove the Sons of Hodir rep grind from the game, and with enough daily research and glyph books, allow you to make all of your own glyphs.

3.) Mining Skinning.
Both are easy. both can be done while sitting in a random queue. Both make gold (TBC leather is ALL THE RAGE on my server right now, and Mithril is a real pain in the rear, but worth the gold). You will get a little crit for your efforts, but not much else.

3.) Mining / Enchanting. This takes a lot of time, but you will be able to make good gold. I farmed old world dungeons for Enchanting mats, and mined around. I got a lot of achievements, I got a lot of gold.

4.) Mining / BS / JC / ENG. This is going to make you pull your hair out. They are worth it though. they just take the most time. You don't have to spend a lot of money, but if you don't, you will be mining nonstop to get them leveled.

If you are interested in getting some more information on the profs, or how to go about really powerleveling a prof, PM me, I will help you out.

Honestly though, for the time to gold ratio (both spent and profit) for a casual player, Herb/Alch is my choice for the winner.
Shoju

Postby Vycera » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:49 am

Thanks for that. I had an old 70 Lock in TBC that was an Herb+Alch so I am familiar with it and had a lot of fun with it. Perhaps I will try that.

SO I guess the question comes down to this: Since the 264 Gloves and the 264 Cloak cost around the same (50, right? or was it 60..) which shuold I get first?
Vycera

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes