Remove Advertisements

what the hell is car insurance good for?

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: what the hell is car insurance good for?

Postby Shoju » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:51 am

the frustrating thing about insurance is that even when you fall under a part where your insurance should help you, it doesn't.

get hit by someone uninsured. what should be a pain in the rear, just became a nightmare, and don't you dare believe the insurance company that they will go after the person and reimburse you. It wont happen.

Accident with damages totalling 4500 cause by Uninsured Motorist. We had Uninsure Motorist Coverage for that, but no one told us that the deductible for that is different than the normal deductible (our deduct was 500, UiMC deduct was 1500....)4 years later, the insurance company said "sorry, they wont pay. guess you can go after them if you want. the insurance companies in the United States do not have your best interests in mind when they are writing a policy. Check to see how many different deductibles there are. check to make sure that you are really covered if something does happen. get GAP insurance if you have a car you are making payments on. TRUST ME. I know you think it is an added expense, but if you total the car in a year or two, you will be very thankful that you have it. Nothing like finding out that your awesome car is worth 7k less to the insurance company compared to what you owe on it.
Shoju

Postby Kelaan » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:57 pm

Candiru wrote:You don't buy insurance for things you can afford to pay. You buy insurance for things that would bankrupt you.

Wow ... that's the best explanation for insurance I've ever seen.
Kelaan

Postby Fridmarr » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:06 pm

Car insurance definitely gets a backward feeling at times. The compulsory reason for it isn't to protect you, but to make sure you can pay others if you are at fault in an accident. That is why you generally are only required to carry liability coverage. The result of this kind of odd relationship is that it's pretty easy to be in a situation where the company you hire to insure you, really doesn't act like they work for you at the time you need them the most. The insurance company that gets concerned about you, is the company of the person who is at fault, and there's an obvious conflict of interest there.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Amirya » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:28 pm

Shoju wrote:don't you dare believe the insurance company that they will go after the person and reimburse you. It wont happen.

As someone who sends auto claims to Subrogation damn near every day, that's wrong. I get some pretty pissed people who have collection agencies after them because they won't reimburse us.

The only time insurance companies can't reimburse is if you give us bad/incomplete/inaccurate information.

"The person who hit me is driving a white truck. It was a guy."

What the hell are we supposed to do with that information?
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Vanifae » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:37 pm

Obviously big faceless companies are out to butt rape you.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:42 pm

Vanifae wrote:Obviously big faceless companies are out to butt rape you.

I thought that was big black men?
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby theckhd » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:36 am

Amirya wrote:"The person who hit me is driving a white truck. It was a guy."

Obviously you should start looking for a guy with a white truck!
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Call to Arms 5.x, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:38 am

I'm glad I live in a city where I don't need to own a car for everyday use.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Rachmaninoff » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:47 pm

theckhd wrote:

Is it the one that says "Free Candy & X-Box" on the side?
Rachmaninoff

Postby aranil » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:26 pm

Nikachelle wrote:I'm glad I live in a city where I don't need to own a car for everyday use.

I actually would like to move to a city where this is a viable opition. As it stands, I have to use my car to get to and from work, go go hour commute. I noticed that when my car died last fall, and I used personal and public transport, I actually had a lot of extra cash. Its worth it if you can do.
aranil

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:01 pm

aranil wrote:
Nikachelle wrote:I'm glad I live in a city where I don't need to own a car for everyday use.

I actually would like to move to a city where this is a viable opition. As it stands, I have to use my car to get to and from work, go go hour commute. I noticed that when my car died last fall, and I used personal and public transport, I actually had a lot of extra cash. Its worth it if you can do.

I used to take the subway to work when I lived a bit further away, so that was about $100 a month.

I recently moved a bit closer to my work area and now I walk there and back daily. (~25 minute walk each way)

Saves loads on money for sure.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Amirya » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:21 am

theckhd wrote:

....So, do you own a white truck?

And are you, in fact, a guy?
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Chicken » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:24 am

Amirya wrote:
theckhd wrote:

....So, do you own a white truck?

And are you, in fact, a guy?
"I admit, I admit! It was me! I murdered all those-"
"Uh, sir. We're just asking for insurance reasons. Someone had their car get hit by a white truck."
Chicken

Postby Shoju » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:06 pm

Amirya wrote:
Shoju wrote:don't you dare believe the insurance company that they will go after the person and reimburse you. It wont happen.

As someone who sends auto claims to Subrogation damn near every day, that's wrong. I get some pretty pissed people who have collection agencies after them because they won't reimburse us.

The only time insurance companies can't reimburse is if you give us bad/incomplete/inaccurate information.

"The person who hit me is driving a white truck. It was a guy."

There was a police report on file, with name address, phone number, vehicle information, and spouse's information. When I was debating taking them to small claims after the insurance company threw their hands in the air, it took me all of 15 minutes to get this information, and most of that was the drive/park/walk to get to the police station.

The lack of willingness to help on the part of my insurance company was horrid. I dropped them and went with a company that was 15bucks more a month because I heard nothing but amazing things about their customer service.

So far, my swap from the lizard to the person who lives next to me is working as intended.
Shoju

Postby Fridmarr » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:15 pm

So at this point, your insurance has paid the applicable charges (repairs/vehicle value) to you minus the deductible, correct?
Fridmarr
Global Mod

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum