Specific Benefits to Using a Paladin Tank in ZA

Nalorakk, Akil'zon, Jan'alai, Halazzi, Malacrass, Zul'jin

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Lore » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:27 pm

Keep in mind that just because a boss doesn't have a specific Paladin tank advantage, that doesn't mean that a Paladin tank is useless or even diminished. We still tank just as well as a Warrior or Druid in every encounter.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Sabindeus » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:26 pm

Lore wrote:Keep in mind that just because a boss doesn't have a specific Paladin tank advantage, that doesn't mean that a Paladin tank is useless or even diminished. We still tank just as well as a Warrior or Druid in every encounter.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Comma » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:20 pm

Stylaan wrote:
Aalryn wrote:
Stylaan wrote:Halazzi Trash:
Nothing really, AoE tanking Lynxes is a strength, other than that the trash here is really easy. Mindful of the MC, they will occasionally waste your LoH so bubbling out is recommended.

If you have agro you dont get mind controlled.

This is true, though often I'll be drinking after a pull and my other tank will continue pulling and I'll be MC'd occasionally.

If you go oom often, check with the other tank, did he taunt mobs off you? If you have enough gear, just let the other tank go DPS, less down time for you and the raid. Or let him DPS in tanking gear, only taunt mobs that goes to healer/dps, DONT AE Taunt mobs off you though.
Comma

Postby Asterix » Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:47 am

On zul'jin in phase 3 we can keep light up on the boss and throw out heals when needed. Phase 2 we can help cleanse as already mentioned. Phase 4 is kinda wacky with the aggro. He does the random charges on multiple members of the raid and the single target claw attack. These aren't tauntable so I found if I have a high enough aggro lead I have enough time to throw a couple flashes of light on the target of the claw attack. This helps out a ton because of how healing intensive this phase is. Then for phase 5 there's the fire resist aura. Because of the phase change threat wipes I've found keeping judgement of crusader on him with a full stack of vengence. Then when he shifts and goes toward someone else a judgement gets him back right away.
Asterix

Postby Rainge » Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:24 pm

I love ZA. Why? Because in ZA you can honestly say: "LOL PROTNUB! SPEC FURY OR GUARD TEH MEETING STONE!"

There is not a single thing in the zone that requires a warrior tank, or really even any gimmicks that work toward their advantage. IMO, a druid/paladin tank team is not only capable, but superior to a warrior/druid or warrior/paladin team.

Nalorrakk - This boss does not crush, and because of that, a comparably equipped druid will take less damage in either phase. There's no specific advantage to bringing a paladin tank to this fight, aside from the extra blessing and judgement. Two tanks are required, however.

Akil'zon - Only one tank is required for this fight, but a paladin tank makes the trash gauntlet on the way to the boss "easymode". The boss can crush and there is quite a lot of spelldamage - in comparable gear, warriors will have the highest mitigation followed by paladins. Given the gauntlet leading up to the boss and the one-tank requirement for the boss, a paladin/druid team excels.

Jan'alai - The potential for adds during the trash gauntlet, as well as the dragonhawk adds on the boss itself, are a royal pain without a paladin tank. Having a warrior or druid present for charging/intercepting/bashing scouts is an immense help. The boss can crush, and there is a fair bit of spell damage. Like Akil'zon, a warrior will have the highest mitigation, followed by a paladin - but your paladin is best used on the adds. This is an execution fight, however, and healing through the extra damage a druid MT would take is trivial.

Halazzi - This boss cannot crush, making druid mitigation superior. There is a two-tank requirement for splitting saber-lashes, and the trash leading to the boss contains several AoE packs easily tanked by a paladin.

Malacrass - While you can CC all of the adds, you will probably not have the group makeup to do so, making two tanks a requirement for this boss. This boss can crush and does a large amount of spell damage, making warrior mitigation superior, followed by a paladin. A warrior/druid or paladin/druid combo is excellent for this fight to add kitty DPS once the add(s) are down. The extra damage taken by a paladin vs. a warrior is trivial compared to raid-wide damage. Depending on your raid makeup, the extra Concentration Aura alone can justify bringing a paladin in place of a warrior.

Zul'jin - Self-cleansing and less overpower damage than a druid in phase 2, JoL uptime and the ability to pinch-heal from within Divine Shield in phase 3, an extra BoP in phase 4, and a self-cast Fire Resist aura in phase 5 (unleash those Fire Elementals!) make a paladin tank vastly superior to either a warrior or druid in this fight. Panic buttons on this fight need to be used on people other than the tank, and a paladin gets to use every tool in their arsenal with great effect.
Rainge

Postby Myotis » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:05 pm

Asterix wrote:On zul'jin in phase 3 we can keep light up on the boss and throw out heals when needed.

From my experience, keeping a judgment on Zul'jin counts as casting a spell. Every time you lands a melee hit you take nature damage.
Myotis

Postby Invisusira » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:09 pm

Myotis wrote:
Asterix wrote:On zul'jin in phase 3 we can keep light up on the boss and throw out heals when needed.

From my experience, keeping a judgment on Zul'jin counts as casting a spell. Every time you lands a melee hit you take nature damage.

Yep, JoW punches you directly in the stomach.
Invisusira

Postby Rainge » Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:04 pm

Myotis wrote:

True, but you only have to smack him once every 20 seconds to keep it up. Unless you're breaking out a 2-hander and staying in to melee him, then a zap every 20 seconds is of little concern.
Rainge

Previous

Return to Zul'aman