Remove Advertisements

Ask a beta tester thread

SPOILERS Discussion about the Cataclysm Beta SPOILERS

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Ask a beta tester thread

Postby steadypal » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:55 pm

do we know if we are getting the dmg reduction put back into our tree or if it was baked in somewhere? im seeing us not having

3% from sanctuary

6% from imp RF

6% spell reduc from guarded by the light,

3% from shield of the templar

also, im gonna miss redoubt,,, and why is protector of the innocents such a fail talent? and do we think sanctuary is going to stay 3 talent points?
steadypal

Postby Arincia » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:13 pm

You also forgot 3% from divine plea glyph which we have up all the time for practical reasons.

Actually that's quite a bit of damage reduction thinking about it:

15% DR from physical hits and 21% from spells.
Arincia

Postby Modal » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:21 pm

I have a kind of big, general question that is not paladin-related, about phasing.

It seems to me that they're using phasing to allow big changes to the world that occur as the player experiences a zone, as with the Ebon Blade base in Icecrown. But many of these changes in Cataclysm are going to involve horde/alliance conflict, e.g.:

We tried to give players the feeling of participating in large PvP-style conflicts, even if they're playing solo. Alliance and Horde members will struggle to capture and defend key points of the battlefield against waves of enemy troops. New technology will allow players to experience the story in ways they never could have prior to Cataclysm. For example, the Horde assault on the fortress at Bael Modan, and its aftermath, should really pull players into the action by showing dramatic changes in the world.

That makes it sound like there is a Horde quest chain in S. Barrens that involves capturing or destroying Bael Modan. My question is: is there an equivalent Alliance quest that involves, say, trying and failing to defend Bael Modan? Or will an Alliance player and a Horde player who both play through S. Barrens end up with two different versions of the zone at the end (much as there were distinct Horde and Alliance endings in the first two Warcraft games)?

More generally, are there any quest lines involving phasing that result in the world ending up in different states for Horde and Alliance players?
Modal

Postby Chicken » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:25 pm

This isn't based on personal experience, just stuff I've read, but from what I've read the final phase in all cases is equivalent for both factions. In cases where there's no questline in a phased area for one faction, but there is for the other, the phased area is in it's 'finished' state for the faction without quests immediately. So if there's no equivalent 'Defend Bael Modan' questline for the Alliance, it's the case that for all Alliance players, Bael Modan will always be in it's captured/destroyed by the Horde state.

An actual beta tester should probably weigh in, but the behavior above is what I've read elsewhere and also what seems most logical overall.

On a personal note, I'd say it would be cool if the phasing would progress slowly even if your faction doesn't have a direct hand in the quests in an area. So taking Bael Modan as an example again, it'd be in the same state for both Alliance and Horde to start with. For the Horde destroying/capturing Bael Modan would be an actual phased questline, and while it's not for the Alliance, one of their phased questlines would also cause Bael Modan to progress through it's various states, and of course the other way around, the Bael Modan questline causes the same progression in whatever the Alliance is doing, even if the Horde themselves have no direct quests there. That'd help make the world feel alive through phasing even more, as it's progressing even when you aren't directly involved in things.
Chicken

Postby lakhesis » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:32 pm

* Shield of the Righteous is back - Slam the target with your shield, causing 3198 plus 100% of your attack power per stack of Holy Power as Holy damage and refreshing the duration of your Holy Shield.

ok, so i'm unclear on how this actually works (if it works at all presently?).

Can you do a 0 HoPower ShoR? And would that refresh a 3 HoPower Holy Shield at full strength?

Cos that's how I'd read it at present personally, but I'm not confident that's their intent.
When society says jump, we say pass the salt.
lakh's armory
lakhesis

Postby Amirya » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:49 pm

We tried to give players the feeling of participating in large PvP-style conflicts, even if they're playing solo. Alliance and Horde members will struggle to capture and defend key points of the battlefield against waves of enemy troops. New technology will allow players to experience the story in ways they never could have prior to Cataclysm. For example, the Horde assault on the fortress at Bael Modan, and its aftermath, should really pull players into the action by showing dramatic changes in the world.

*sigh*
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Modal » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:51 pm

Chicken wrote:An actual beta tester should probably weigh in, but the behavior above is what I've read elsewhere and also what seems most logical overall.

I agree that makes sense. I'd like to ask this on the official forums, see if we could get a statement of intent from the designers, but my authenticator is at home!
Modal

Postby PsiVen » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:55 pm

lakhesis wrote:
* Shield of the Righteous is back - Slam the target with your shield, causing 3198 plus 100% of your attack power per stack of Holy Power as Holy damage and refreshing the duration of your Holy Shield.

ok, so i'm unclear on how this actually works (if it works at all presently?).

Can you do a 0 HoPower ShoR? And would that refresh a 3 HoPower Holy Shield at full strength?

Cos that's how I'd read it at present personally, but I'm not confident that's their intent.

This version of ShoR is bugged and not implemented. The next patch presumably will have the intended version we were told of, which produces the Holy Shield buff itself and HS cannot be cast separately.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Huon » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:04 pm

Hey all,

I apologize for my lack of posting. I had some personal things happening for the last 10 days.

I will read up and catch up on posts later this evening, and answer questions when I can, though I will need to play the new iterations of the beta it seems :P

See you soon!

EDIT: Holy annoying redownload of the entire Beta batman, give me until tomorrow :P
Huon

Postby Huon » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:31 pm

Build 12694 feedback

Random patch notes are on the first post.

Sidenote to start off. The new streaming downloader launcher is kinda cool, I was able to play decently at only ~15-20% in.

OK, this build is REALLY buggy, talents don't work well, trainers are still messed up. So its hard to pass judgement on anything (loljudgement). Re-leveling 80-81 in the Hyjal zone was PAINFUL. Protection is EXTREMELY weak for leveling now. Crusader strike hits for nothing (500 ish), judgement is weak too (1200 ish) and hammer isn't too bad but considering mobs have 30k health there, it takes a while to kill them. your only salute is the new Avenger's shield, which hits like a truck, and hope for crusader procs to refresh its cooldown. Keep in mind that during that leveling, I didn't have ShoR to kill stuff, so all my HoPo went to waste, since I can't train any of its abilities.

I did not test out tanking in instances, as my dodge is at 14%, 0% parry (can't train it) and 5% block (can't talent HS)

Sorry I don't have more for you this build, but as always, ask me anything!
Huon

Postby Huon » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:43 pm

Ryyu wrote:Is the SotR block proc still exclusive with Inquisition?

I can't verify that atm, the talents are broken and so are the trainers, sorry.

steadypal wrote:abilities to proc our tank seal? we getting more than just auto attack u think?

Some random things proc seals. Last build Seal of Righteousness proc'ed off hand of reckoning, but I doubt it was intended. I assume most seals will just proc off auto attacks. Will test when I get my seals back from the trainer.

Rasmfrackn wrote: Is there still wintersaber rep in Winterspring? I've been putting it off until I can fly back and forth, but that requires them to still have the quests in the game.

I just flew to Winterspring, Rivern Frostwind is still here handing out the quests for it.

Minnerva wrote:didn't got a invite to beta this time around, can you guys record some tanking with the prot paladin so i can see how things will change in cataclysm?

I will try to get some footage of an instance when the builds are more stable, and abilities work :P

lakhesis wrote:Can you do a 0 HoPower ShoR? And would that refresh a 3 HoPower Holy Shield at full strength?

I believe I read this yesterday that using a ShoR with 1 stack will refresh HS with only 5%, 2 with 10% and 3 with 15%.

EDIT: for lakhesis; holy shield isn't cast anymore, its only triggered by ShoR, see this post by GC:

Ghostcrawler wrote:
To add to my previous tooltip, here is Holy Shield. Remember it's a passive now.

Your Shield of the Righteous hits increase your block chance by 5% per stack of Holy Power consumed. Lasts 20 sec.

As far as the burst threat concerns go, use Avenger's Shield. It hits very hard in Cataclysm.
Huon

Postby KysenMurrin » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:52 pm

Retarding the exclusivity, GCs recent posts were that right now it's impossible for Prot to use Inquisition because of ShoR, and they were still deciding whether they were happy with that. (It came across as likely they'll keep it that way, IMO.)

Edit:
We're less sure about Inquisition. It's fine if Ret is designed around keeping it up nearly all the time because they're only spending Holy Power on damage attacks otherwise. With Holy Shield though it might feel like Prot needs to keep two Holy Power-based things running, which is probably two much to ask of a tank. In the prior model you could choose Inquisition's damage instead of Holy Shield's mitigation, but with the new Shield of the Righteous model, we realize that's probably not going to happen so we need to evaluate if that's okay.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Huon » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:03 pm

Sounds to me, from reading that post, that they USED to be happy, but they now want to re-evaluate it, aka, not anymore.

Their old model was cool because you had to juggle HS, Inquisition and WoG. An amazing tank would have kept both buffs up and used WoG when possible.

Now, with the new HS not being cast, Inquisition is the only buff given. So protection boils down to getting to 3 HoPo, hit ShoR, rinse and repeat.

I much preferred the first version. I always want classes to be easy to play, but hard to master. That first version was exactly that.
Huon

Postby steadypal » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:30 am

does anyone else consider blood craze to be a VERY nice talent that prot warriors shouldnt be able to pick up that easily? c'mon tier 1 of fury?

10% chance to regen 7.5% hp over 5 seconds, with the retarded amount of hp tanks are going to have, idk, seems like alot, meh
steadypal

Postby Arincia » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:01 pm

Paired up with field dressing (20% self healing 6% more healing on all healing effects on you).
Makes it a fairly potent Regen then. Assuming you don't get the 6% bonus but do get the 20% bumps you up to a 9% hp heal. If you did get the 6% as well it would work out to 9.5% hp heal. That would be quite boost to them over time to themselves alive.
Arincia

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm