Remove Advertisements

A new way to challenge tanks?

SPOILERS Discussion about the Cataclysm Beta SPOILERS

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: A new way to challenge tanks?

Postby Chunes » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:52 am

I'm pretty mixed-feelings about DBM and other boss mods. DXE for example, it's a wonderful mod, but I don't really have to think at all when i'm using it because it flashes the screen at critical moments (color coded for whatever bar is counting said warning time), puts a handy arrow like tomtom on my screen when I have to get away from someone, and has all sorts of noises/notifications for critical encounter events.

It removes a lot of immersion from the experience of the game and I guess that's what I have a problem with. Eyes glued to meters, eyes glued to boss timers, eyes glued to buffs/debuffs, etc. and eyes definitely NOT glued on what they should be: your character, in front of a dragon (or to the side, or in the back casting heals), punching it in the face (or stabbing its ribs or healing dragonfacepunchers respectively).
Chunes

Postby Kelaan » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:25 am

Chunes wrote:It removes a lot of immersion from the experience of the game and I guess that's what I have a problem with. Eyes glued to meters, eyes glued to boss timers, eyes glued to buffs/debuffs, etc. and eyes definitely NOT glued on what they should be: your character, in front of a dragon (or to the side, or in the back casting heals), punching it in the face (or stabbing its ribs or healing dragonfacepunchers respectively).

Unfortunately, many things require you to pay special attention to the presence (or absence) of debuffs on you or another character. Boss mods often help you be more easily aware of that by presenting it in an alternate manner (countdown bar rather than a stack icon).

Going from watching a pack of debuffs in the far corner of my screen to watching (well, being aware of) timers of things helps a lot. It also helps ensure you don't use a Divine Storm right as (with latency) the blood beasts are coming out.
Kelaan

Postby Neara » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:00 am

Chunes wrote:It removes a lot of immersion from the experience of the game and I guess that's what I have a problem with. Eyes glued to meters, eyes glued to boss timers, eyes glued to buffs/debuffs, etc. and eyes definitely NOT glued on what they should be: your character, in front of a dragon (or to the side, or in the back casting heals), punching it in the face (or stabbing its ribs or healing dragonfacepunchers respectively).

i don't know, staring at my debuffs to react fast when Necrotic Plague pops up there or just casting away listening to the big bad wolf telling me to run away. I would watch the game itself far less without DXE.
Neara

Postby Chunes » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:35 am

If the encounters and game system were designed to make buff-watching redundant, then there would be no need for addons that make buffwatching easier (dxe/dbm), you would just get to watch your character do their thing, or watch heals, or maybe watch for fire on the ground.

You can't deny though that you spend at least some of your time looking at timers, or timer bars, or text warnings during an encounter and I argue that that takes away from the immersion aspect of the game.

One of DXE's features that I like is the screen flash. There are differing colors for different timers/warnings, so if you're standing in a fire, usually the screen will flash orange. Last night on twin valks my screen flashed white when i needed to swap polarities. In a slightly different context, power auras is a an addon I love because it's a way to track buffs/debuffs without having to look at an icon in the corner (or wherever) of my screen, it just overlays a pretty graphic on my screen and I can keep looking at what I was looking at before.

The game's just become such a numbers race that the person with the most accurate timer/counter/meter often has the potential to perform the best. I find this to be counter to the original spirit of the game.
Chunes

Previous

Return to Cataclysm