MTG - DOTP - Via Steam - LFM

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

MTG - DOTP - Via Steam - LFM

Postby Barathorn » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:52 am

Hi all,

has anyone else downloaded this from Steam and been playing it? My wife bought me it and the 1st expansion pack and I have been playing a couple of social games over the weekend. It is really good and I am pleasently suprised at how easy it is to use and how good the gameplay is.

If you have been playing it via steam and you fancied having a couple of games let me know by PM or in this thread!

I am also looking into playing MTG online at some point as a natural progression from this so if anyone else plays let me know what it is like.

Cheers

Bara
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Re: MTG - DOTP - Via Steam - LFM

Postby Kelaan » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:04 pm

The major downside to Planeswalkers is you can't build custom decks, which is probably the main attraction for those who play the physical game.

... What the hell? I mean, even Estiah lets me build decks. I thought that was the entire point of M:TG. Can you explain how Magic works when you can't build your own deck?
Kelaan

Postby Dorvan » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:53 pm

On an only semi-related note, I highly recommend the game Dominion if you've got an itch for CCGs but don't like the wallet-sucking aspect of their marketing model. Only needs to be owned by one person and it's not collectible, so a single purchase buys all the cards in the set. It's not as directly confrontational as Magic, but I like the twist of building your deck as the actual gameplay.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Barathorn » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:30 am

Kelaan wrote:
The major downside to Planeswalkers is you can't build custom decks, which is probably the main attraction for those who play the physical game.

... What the hell? I mean, even Estiah lets me build decks. I thought that was the entire point of M:TG. Can you explain how Magic works when you can't build your own deck?

There are around 10-12 decks to unlock from the main game and 1st expansion and then there are cards to unlock for each deck to make it more powerful. I did find it a little annoying that you couldn't fully customise each deck to make a tuned 60 card deck or input your own decks but then for £10 in total for the main game and the first expansion pack I didn't think that was such a bad thing. All of the main deck types/archetypes are in the game so you do have a fair bit of variety to choose from.

It plays quite nicely and I guess if you want fully customisable decks you would be playing MTG:Online anyway. DOTP serves as a good introduction to MTG for new players and for those returning to play the game although obviously with its lack of deck building tools some may question its actual worth.

Barathorn
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby ulushnar » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:02 am

I played it on XBox Live Arcade for a while and I actually liked the pre-built decks. It leaves it open to new players, giving simple decks based around each colour's style whilst not having to worry about old timers building crush decks just because they can.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Argali » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:21 am

Obviously if you could customise decks and play properly against other people it'll cut into their card crack MTGO business.
Argali

Return to Arkham Asylum