Remove Advertisements

Someone In Congress Still Has A Spine

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Someone In Congress Still Has A Spine

Postby Lightbeard » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:58 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tD20-FihJQs

Anthony Weiner stood up for the bill saying that emergency responders would get better healthcare. How people can be against a bill like that is beyond me.
Image
User avatar
Lightbeard
 
Posts: 6615
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:03 pm

Re: Someone In Congress Still Has A Spine

Postby Fivelives » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:07 pm

We get excellent healthcare, and rarely ever even get billed for it at all. Any hospital that my crew flies in to will give us free emergency treatment and any specialists they have to offer - then they write it off as "charity" or "uncollectable".

The only things we have to pay for are copays for doctors, dentists and opthalmologists (most of us have blue cross/blue shield). Audiologists are paid for by the company and give us checkups every 6 months, since hearing loss is a foreseeable consequence of working in helicopters.
- I'm not Jesus, but I can turn water into Kool-Aid.
- A Sergeant in motion outranks an officer who doesn't know what the hell is going on.
- A demolitions specialist at a flat run outranks everybody.
User avatar
Fivelives
 
Posts: 3108
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:55 pm

Re: Someone In Congress Still Has A Spine

Postby Dorvan » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:44 pm

Lightbeard wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tD20-FihJQs

Anthony Weiner stood up for the bill saying that emergency responders would get better healthcare. How people can be against a bill like that is beyond me.


There are plenty of ideas that sound good as a sound bite but are poor policy or poorly implemented in practice. I'm not familiar with the provision at issue here, and the clip didn't provide any context, so I can't comment specifically on whether the matter at hand was a good idea or not.
Image

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
User avatar
Dorvan
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 8462
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:28 pm

Re: Someone In Congress Still Has A Spine

Postby hoho » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:07 am

Lightbeard wrote:How people can be against a bill like that is beyond me.
How can anyone be against giving money to everyone? Still, we aren't doing it and for a good reason. Same thing here.
Leap of Faith:
Good news, everyone! We can now heal stupidity!
User avatar
hoho
 
Posts: 2445
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:02 pm
Location: Estonia

Re: Someone In Congress Still Has A Spine

Postby Fridmarr » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:16 am

This is in reference to the 9/11 compensation bill, which honestly has plenty of good reasons to not pass.

Ironically though, Weiner is yelling about the wrong people. The votes for this bill to pass are actually there. Democrats chose to bring the bill to the floor under a procedure that requires a 2/3rds majority instead of the typical simple majority that bills normally require. They did that to avoid having to vote on amendments that they think will hurt them in the November elections.

In other words, they chose themselves over this compensation package, and now they get to be on record as for the bill despite knowing that they could pass it if they wanted to. That's a double win for them, since they are protected for now, and get ammunition for November. Sadly Lightbeard, this type of thing happens reasonably often particularly in elections years and both parties do it. This type of thing is why incumbents are likely (hopefully) going to take a beating this fall.
Fridmarr
Global Mod
 
Posts: 9666
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:03 am

Re: Someone In Congress Still Has A Spine

Postby Minnerva » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:42 am

Fridmarr wrote:This is in reference to the 9/11 compensation bill, which honestly has plenty of good reasons to not pass.

Ironically though, Weiner is yelling about the wrong people. The votes for this bill to pass are actually there. Democrats chose to bring the bill to the floor under a procedure that requires a 2/3rds majority instead of the typical simple majority that bills normally require. They did that to avoid having to vote on amendments that they think will hurt them in the November elections.

In other words, they chose themselves over this compensation package, and now they get to be on record as for the bill despite knowing that they could pass it if they wanted to. That's a double win for them, since they are protected for now, and get ammunition for November. Sadly Lightbeard, this type of thing happens reasonably often particularly in elections years and both parties do it. This type of thing is why incumbents are likely (hopefully) going to take a beating this fall.


actually you are wrong in that part, the reason why he is mad is because people were actually stalling the bill's decision and it was evident that they were stalling to get more people to vote no. they stalled until the convinced enough people to say no instead of giving out a definite yes or no. he has the right to be mad, if you put it into wow standards it would be like a person holding BoEs in ICC until the end of the raid only to leave group after the run, you know its coming to that but he just keeps stalling till the end.
Minnerva
 
Posts: 1738
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:22 pm

Re: Someone In Congress Still Has A Spine

Postby Lightbeard » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:00 am

It doesn't say it in that video but apparently the Repubs were for the bill but wanted to add in a bunch of stuff they liked which pissed off the Dems hence the reason Repubs started voting No.
Image
User avatar
Lightbeard
 
Posts: 6615
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:03 pm

Re: Someone In Congress Still Has A Spine

Postby Fridmarr » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:53 am

Minnerva wrote:
Fridmarr wrote:This is in reference to the 9/11 compensation bill, which honestly has plenty of good reasons to not pass.

Ironically though, Weiner is yelling about the wrong people. The votes for this bill to pass are actually there. Democrats chose to bring the bill to the floor under a procedure that requires a 2/3rds majority instead of the typical simple majority that bills normally require. They did that to avoid having to vote on amendments that they think will hurt them in the November elections.

In other words, they chose themselves over this compensation package, and now they get to be on record as for the bill despite knowing that they could pass it if they wanted to. That's a double win for them, since they are protected for now, and get ammunition for November. Sadly Lightbeard, this type of thing happens reasonably often particularly in elections years and both parties do it. This type of thing is why incumbents are likely (hopefully) going to take a beating this fall.


actually you are wrong in that part, the reason why he is mad is because people were actually stalling the bill's decision and it was evident that they were stalling to get more people to vote no. they stalled until the convinced enough people to say no instead of giving out a definite yes or no. he has the right to be mad, if you put it into wow standards it would be like a person holding BoEs in ICC until the end of the raid only to leave group after the run, you know its coming to that but he just keeps stalling till the end.

No I'm not wrong, what I said is correct. The votes exist but the dems used the bill for both political cover and ammunition for Nov, choosing their own self interest over the constituency the bill was designed to help.

Yes, the Republicans stalled, they were stalling to get the votes they needed. Had the bill been put up like a normal bill, they were going to add amendments purely to get dems on record about controversial issues for their own ammunition as well. However, that doesn't contradict any of the above, nor the fact that Weiner is ultimately yelling at the wrong folks.

This is politics, this is how the process works all too often. Don't like it? Toss them all out on their arse this November.
Fridmarr
Global Mod
 
Posts: 9666
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:03 am

Re: Someone In Congress Still Has A Spine

Postby thegreatheed » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:21 pm

Congress currently has an 11% approval rating.

Oh, and Congressman Weiner is an idiot. Here's some info about his "crusade" against a private company and other random idiotic statements. www.weinerfacts.com
Image
thegreatheed
 
Posts: 886
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:02 pm

Re: Someone In Congress Still Has A Spine

Postby Minnerva » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:52 pm

thegreatheed wrote:Congress currently has an 11% approval rating.

Oh, and Congressman Weiner is an idiot. Here's some info about his "crusade" against a private company and other random idiotic statements. http://www.weinerfacts.com


fridmarr had a correct response. you on the other hand are one of those persons that starts arguments in sensitive comments like this, comments like yours have no research gain. either stop stupid comments or you are going to get this threat blocked.
Minnerva
 
Posts: 1738
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:22 pm

Re: Someone In Congress Still Has A Spine

Postby thegreatheed » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:52 pm

Minnerva wrote:
thegreatheed wrote:Congress currently has an 11% approval rating.

Oh, and Congressman Weiner is an idiot. Here's some info about his "crusade" against a private company and other random idiotic statements. http://www.weinerfacts.com


fridmarr had a correct response. you on the other hand are one of those persons that starts arguments in sensitive comments like this, comments like yours have no research gain. either stop stupid comments or you are going to get this threat blocked.


Sorry I'm not politically correct. I think that stating my opinion is better than calling someone else's opinion "stupid". Also, my comment does have research gain, I backed up my opinion. And before you jump over my use of language, Weiner put himself in the public square, subjected himself to public scrutiny. When he starts on an agenda campaign to smear a decent company purely for political reasons, he deserves that name. In contrast, you called my comment stupid, just because you disagreed with me.

The discussion needs to turn to the issues at hand. Not to R vs D or any other division. Here's my beef with Weiner. As part of a political agenda, he has undertaken a smear campaign against a company called Goldline. Not a single accusation of his has panned out, not a single piece of evidence to substantiate his claims. He initially launched his investigation because of a post on some online message board. Go read that site, it's a little scattered, but it goes through the bogus claims against Goldline, made by Weiner.

Fridmarr was most likely right about Weiner's reasoning. This guy seems to be someone willing to play partisan politics, even without a leg to stand on. So Minnerva, why don't you participate constructively in this discussion instead of just calling my comment stupid? So take a bit of your own advice, offer something to the discussion besides namecalling. Sure I did a bit of namecalling, but it was against someone who placed himself in the public sphere (and posted my reasoning for it) and it wasn't toward another poster.
Image
thegreatheed
 
Posts: 886
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:02 pm

Re: Someone In Congress Still Has A Spine

Postby Minnerva » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:59 pm

thegreatheed wrote:Sorry I'm not politically correct. I think that stating my opinion is better than calling someone else's opinion "stupid". Also, my comment does have research gain, I backed up my opinion. And before you jump over my use of language, Weiner put himself in the public square, subjected himself to public scrutiny. When he starts on an agenda campaign to smear a decent company purely for political reasons, he deserves that name. In contrast, you called my comment stupid, just because you disagreed with me.

The discussion needs to turn to the issues at hand. Not to R vs D or any other division. Here's my beef with Weiner. As part of a political agenda, he has undertaken a smear campaign against a company called Goldline. Not a single accusation of his has panned out, not a single piece of evidence to substantiate his claims. He initially launched his investigation because of a post on some online message board. Go read that site, it's a little scattered, but it goes through the bogus claims against Goldline, made by Weiner.

Fridmarr was most likely right about Weiner's reasoning. This guy seems to be someone willing to play partisan politics, even without a leg to stand on. So Minnerva, why don't you participate constructively in this discussion instead of just calling my comment stupid? So take a bit of your own advice, offer something to the discussion besides namecalling. Sure I did a bit of namecalling, but it was against someone who placed himself in the public sphere (and posted my reasoning for it).

as i recall the topic was of the person yelling. not whether they were stupid or not, you brought in something that had nothing to do with what was being talked about. and brought ABC news which is pure speculated information, we saw a video and gave an opinion based on what was given to us. who the fuck cares what whinner's back ground is. Fridmarr did not deviated from what was shown, you on the other hand started bringing up preference into the discussion, you hate the guy cause he doesn't follow your beliefs so you try to turn the conversation to trolling and start bad talking about the guy. please stick to the subject or don't post because you are going to get this discussion blocked. as from now on i will choose to ignore your posts.
Minnerva
 
Posts: 1738
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:22 pm

Re: Someone In Congress Still Has A Spine

Postby Thalia » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:08 pm

Weiner is known for his outrages comments (that is to us not on his side of the political spectrum). To me this is just another Weiner-bit, nothing surprising.
User avatar
Thalia
 
Posts: 1081
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:30 pm

Re: Someone In Congress Still Has A Spine

Postby thegreatheed » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:11 pm

Thalia wrote:Weiner is known for his outrages comments (that is to us not on his side of the political spectrum). To me this is just another Weiner-bit, nothing surprising.



Minerva, I was pointing this out. Weiner is a political party hack, he says anything and does anything to further the party's agenda, even though his claims, statements and "evidence" are patently false and defamatory. I provided another example of this man being the worst part of politics, to solidify the explanation Fridmarr gave. This man's background means EVERYTHING. His soundbite and press clipping over benefits for whoever is PURE POLITICAL POSTURING. Watching one clippet is worthless, one clip tells you nothing about who the man is, and what he really stands for. If you really look at the man (which I have, and you have not), what he does, how he "serves his constituency" you will learn exactly what I've been saying. I'm sorry I have to bring TRUTH into this discussion, as it really seems to bother you.

Weiner's an idiot. And I stand by that statement.
Image
thegreatheed
 
Posts: 886
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:02 pm

Re: Someone In Congress Still Has A Spine

Postby thegreatheed » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:31 pm

Gonna make another post as this is an entirely different train of thought. Politics today is fought by 10 second sound bites. Here's an example, in Feb 2006, Bush's approval rating was 36%. CNN talked about this poll result probably 30 times in one day. It was a "record low" and a "new low polling" for Bush. They repeated and repeated and repeated.

That exact same poll, using the same questions, polling organization, etc, gives Obama a 41% approval rating now. This is a "record low" and a "new low polling" for Obama. Yes this message wasn't delivered and repeated 50 times to people watching TV between interviews in their offices. The poll results from yesterday is just as newsworthy as it was in 06. Yet it hasn't been repeated. Obama's polling numbers have dropped much more quickly than Bush's. Noone is reporting this.

Instead we're getting 30 second ABC news snippets on benefits for firemen or whatever. The real numbers and data are out there, but they are not always reported. This is why background is everything. This is why doing your own research is everything. This is why knowing who Congressman Weiner is is important. This is why I gave another source, so more of the real news could be known. I'm sorry that people disagree with my opinion on Weiner, but I can at least back my opinion up.

Wwe have to stop getting our news through 30 second sound bites, and we need to start learning for ourselves.
Image
thegreatheed
 
Posts: 886
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:02 pm

Next

Return to Arkham Asylum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest


Remove Advertisements

Who is online

In total there are 2 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest
?php } else { ?