Remove Advertisements

Tankadin Question

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Tankadin Question

Postby TankHealadin » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:06 pm

Hello Maintankadin,

I am a holy paladin for my guild. We have multiple tankadins that raid with us on weekly basis. This week I noticed that they are not using Sacred Shield at all. Am I thinking incorrectly, or am I right by telling them that they should be using Sacred Shield? And if there are specs I could get for mitigation that would be great, these tankadins get hit like Mexicans crossing the boarder.

Thanks,
TankHealadin
TankHealadin

Re: Tankadin Question

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:34 pm

If you're healing them, your SS is better than theirs.
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby econ21 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:59 am

Grehn|Skipjack wrote:If you're healing them, your SS is better than theirs.

But there are multiple tankadins in the OPs raid; maybe there are not multiple holy paladins? If the number of healadins is less than the number of tanks, then yes, I think the tankadins without a healadin's SS should SS themselves.

On the issue of talent specs, the OP should look at the theckhd's sticky on talents in the advanced training sub-forum: the "cookie cutter" build includes all the damage reduction talents IIRC.
econ21

Postby TankHealadin » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:40 am

Grehn|Skipjack wrote:If you're healing them, your SS is better than theirs.

The only way my Sacred Shield would be better if I was Divine Sac spec, which I'm not. (Theory Crafting Holydin b-(^_^)z ) The FOL Hot will go onto any person that has sacred shield on them.

Say we have a paladin and DK tank in an ICC10, I would put my SS on the DK tank, the other paladin would SS them selves, and then they both would recieve my FOL HOT.

So, Yes, they should use it in their rotation, or No, They shouldnt use it in their rotation.

Thanks,
TankHealadin
TankHealadin

Postby vertinog » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:56 am

TankHealadin wrote:Say we have a paladin and DK tank in an ICC10, I would put my SS on the DK tank, the other paladin would SS them selves, and then they both would recieve my FOL HOT.

So, Yes, they should use it in their rotation, or No, They shouldnt use it in their rotation.

Thanks,
TankHealadin

This was already answered.

econ21 wrote:If the number of healadins is less than the number of tanks, then yes, I think the tankadins without a healadin's SS should SS themselves.
vertinog

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:05 am

There are other factors to consider. What kind of content are you doing? Normal ICC and even most heroic modes won't require the small added benefit of sacred shield.

We have no holy paladins in my raiding group, but holy god, I do not have the TIME to waste a global cooldown on sacred shielding myself. Even without wasting a global cooldown I've got dps riding my ass.

The only times I bother to SS myself are pre-fight, if I happen to be OTing or if dps are so far behind that I've got lots of time to spare.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby TankHealadin » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:41 am

Nikachelle wrote:There are other factors to consider. What kind of content are you doing? Normal ICC and even most heroic modes won't require the small added benefit of sacred shield.

At the moment we are doing Sindy. The only reason I bring this up is because we were paladin and warrior tanking her last night and when the warrior was taking he took about half the damage the paladin took. I don't know if he had frost resistance gear or not, but the paladin was getting beat on and when I had to reset my stack he always died, and when we are wiping over and over again every bit of damage reduction will help.
TankHealadin

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:45 am

Okay, still need more details. 10 man or 25 man?

Are you the strongest healer? (ie. if you're resetting your stacks, you're leaving it up to the other healers to cover for you. If they're not as strong as you then it might their fault.)

Have you checked damage logs? Can you actually show up who is taking more damage? (Even Recount can do this for you.)

What kind of gear is either tank in? Is one lesser geared than the other? Is one in a frost resist set?

Unfortunately, perception isn't a very good judge of what is actually happening. We need real numbers, and real combat logs before we can help you.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Playdoh » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:18 am

I ask the holy pally who they want my SS on.

and do my best to keep it up.

H Saur i know it goes on the 1st mark of the champion before that the blood nova people.

On other fights he lets me know if i need to keep it up on myself. The holy pally usually knows where they want the extra crit from SS on FoL, that's not something a prot pally is good at gaging.
Playdoh
Maintankadonor

Postby TankHealadin » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:45 pm

This is 25 Man Sindy. Generally I was 2nd or 3rd on meters. We ran the raid last night with 3 Resto Druids 1 Resto Shaman 1 Disc Priest and 1 Holy Paladin (me). The Resto Shaman was horrible, they were under the paladin tank's Judgement of Light.

This is the damage taken log (scroll down to see it)

Pally Tanks Damage:

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-csmyy ... details/8/

Warrior Tanks Damage:

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-csmyy ... etails/23/

The tanks seemed to be equally geared, both had 67k hp at the time of attempts, both have about 5.8k gs

Neither of them were in frost resist gear.
TankHealadin

Postby Xenix » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:59 pm

TankHealadin wrote:This is 25 Man Sindy. Generally I was 2nd or 3rd on meters. We ran the raid last night with 3 Resto Druids 1 Resto Shaman 1 Disc Priest and 1 Holy Paladin (me). The Resto Shaman was horrible, they were under the paladin tank's Judgement of Light.

This is the damage taken log (scroll down to see it)

Pally Tanks Damage:

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-csmyy ... details/8/

Warrior Tanks Damage:

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-csmyy ... etails/23/

The tanks seemed to be equally geared, both had 67k hp at the time of attempts, both have about 5.8k gs

Neither of them were in frost resist gear.

Your two tanks for that fight were paladins: Smitten and Raddlestix, not the warrior you linked.
Kimurellia - Holy/Protection Paladin - Scions of Destiny - Eredar-US
Xenix

Postby TankHealadin » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:48 pm

The last attempt we used the paladin and warrior that I linked.... I'm not the best with world of logs so if you can find the other paladin be my guest.
TankHealadin

Postby Xenix » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:58 pm

TankHealadin wrote:The last attempt we used the paladin and warrior that I linked.... I'm not the best with world of logs so if you can find the other paladin be my guest.

The warrior was not tanking for any of that report - you can see that the only melee-type attacks he took the entire night was one cleave and one parried melee (probably on a wipe). The other tank on the last attempt was Fartavious, another paladin.
Kimurellia - Holy/Protection Paladin - Scions of Destiny - Eredar-US
Xenix

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:12 pm

I think I know why tanks are dying now.

Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby TankHealadin » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:25 pm

Nikachelle wrote:I think I know why tanks are dying now.

Bad Heals im guessing your gonna say?
TankHealadin

Next

Return to Basic Training & Talents