Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Nika's Guide to Spelling - Volume 1

Postby Korola » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:54 am

Barathorn wrote:
Lightbeard wrote:I'm scared this will become the new relationship thread

Emotions are more powerful than words.

Don't be scared.

The only thing we have to fear is a shield to the face while in AB on our warlock.
Korola
Maintankadonor

Postby Arcand » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:19 am

(Took me a while to get back to this because I had to consider if I want to carry on a discussion where we feel like we have to hash out the definitions of 'cat' and 'dog'. I'm not sure that's a good sign.)

Korola wrote:The point was to illustrate that logic does not always dictate language. Logic takes a back seat and most certainly can do so when culture has accepted the meaning.

Sure, that's fine. However, even though language is a social construct it still owes much of its meaning to logical structure. Sometimes that structure is antiquated, convoluted and/or hard to figure out, but it's still there and it makes language even more meaningful for those who appreciate it.

Changes in language that create new structure, as when somebody coins a new phrase or uses 'network' as a verb, I can see as evolutionary. But things like 'I could care less' aren't about creating structure. They're just mutations of the original structure, very possibly out of ignorance or laziness, from which our cool human brains are still able to wrest meaning. Defending them as evolution is like giving your car's engine a couple shots with a hammer, pointing out that it still runs and announcing that the engine ain't that important and cars improve by getting beaten with hammers. I see those mutations as something to be resisted rather than welcomed; if they actually contribute something useful enough for them to prevail over some resistance, maybe they're keepers. That's fine too.

(Everyone was quick to jump in on the topic change, which makes me suspect they're as sick of reading about this as I'm getting of writing about it. I wasn't a big enough man to completely shut up, but I did try to make this a) uninflammatory and b) with a tone much like closing remarks.)
Arcand

Postby Korola » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:14 am

There is a lot of truth in what you have said. I will carry a similar tone as to offer my final thoughts as well.

I agree with your statement that logic is the main driving force behind language. My point was to simply illustrate how language can and does form from what would not be considered logic. As we have shared different forms of expression, language can truly only be defined as that. An expression that is communicated in a way that another person may interpret correctly what is trying to be conveyed. Within this expression there may be a myriad of different interpretations because feelings and thoughts are the way in which we process the communication. Logic plays an important role in this development the majority of the time. However, logic is simply not a necessary part of this process. While the phrase "I could care less" becomes an incorrect expression of what one truly means, it is interpreted by the listener the way the person intended it to be interpreted in the first place. It is the equivalent of grunting noises as communication. The syllables, words, and meanings have no actual use in the interpretation of the statement itself, only the commonality that those grunting noises and syllables placed together in that sequence mean "I don't care."

I respect your ability to remain civil in what traditionally turns into something that is not. I feel there are things that I could learn from your wisdom and insight. It would be wasteful of me to make this matter uncivilized and lose that opportunity.

Peace.
Korola
Maintankadonor

Postby aranil » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:25 am

I want to point out that you are agruing grammar and spelling ON AN INTERNET FORUM. That alone is hurting my brain. Its like going to a bar and arguing over acholism.

Also, this thread keeps dipping into really odd fetishes at times, which makes it really hard to give a damn about spelling...

And weird
aranil

Postby Passionario » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:52 am

My personal annoyance button is "irregardless".
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby ulushnar » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:16 am

Five years on a European server and I'm just pleased if I can follow what's written. Most of those people have better English than I have Finnish/German/Dutch/Norwegian/Whatever, so I'm not going to go out my way to point out their mistakes...

...unless they're hilarious.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:25 am

Passionario wrote:My personal annoyance button is "irregardless".

Ooo that's a good one.

Another one from me: The words "no one". Why everyone decides to make it ONE word is beyond me.

"Noone". The fuck is wrong with you?
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Vanifae » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:43 am

Crazy bitches.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Nakama » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:08 pm

Vanifae wrote:Crazy bitches.

Bitches *be* crazy!

--Jed
Nakama

Postby Lightbeard » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:17 pm

Nakama wrote:

Bitches *be* nuts!

--Jed
Lightbeard

Postby Hayz » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:57 am

Nakama wrote:

Bitches *be* crazy!

--Jed

it is becoming the new relationship thread, now we just need theck and his math
Deathknights are whores! They're cheap, easy, and spread diseases.
OOM, pulling more trash.
Its alright, I'm a Paladin!
They can't stop us let 'em try, for heavy metal we will die!
Hayz

Postby Barathorn » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:44 am

Korola wrote:
Barathorn wrote:
Lightbeard wrote:I'm scared this will become the new relationship thread

Emotions are more powerful than words.

Don't be scared.

The only thing we have to fear is a shield to the face while in AB on our warlock.

Sorry I missed this so a mini necro! Yes if you are a warlock then you do have to be careful otherwise I will find you, and I will shield you in the face.

You know what I dislike? Text speak.

'Noone cares about you mate or how crap you are'

I can live with the above.

'No1 cares bout u m8 or how crp u r lol'

This makes me want to drop kick kittens.
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby hoho » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:59 am

Nikachelle wrote:Another one from me: The words "no one". Why everyone decides to make it ONE word is beyond me.
I'm definitely guilty of that. I'm not really sure why I write it as a single word, possibly because it's so similar to "none".
Leap of Faith:
Good news, everyone! We can now heal stupidity!
hoho

Postby Nikachelle » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:11 am

Barathorn wrote:This makes me want to drop kick kittens.

*frowns*
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Barathorn » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:16 am

Nikachelle wrote:
Barathorn wrote:This makes me want to drop kick kittens.

*frowns*

Stop that you will get wrinkles!
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum