Remove Advertisements

Curator - Flare Management

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Curator - Flare Management

Postby Menali » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:03 am

Hey everyone,

Last night my guild made it's second serious attempt at Curator got him to 50%. We are having a bit of trouble with the flares not in killing them fast but keeping them away from the casters.

Couple of questions

1) I am running as the MT/OT depending on the situation, will consecrate and hammer of justice help me to pull them to me instead of going to the casters? We don't have a dps shammy for this roll and can't afford to take our healing shammy out of the healing role for this.
2) Will about 200 spell damage be enough to keep aggro on the flares?
3) Will putting Concentration Aura up help with spell delays that is happening at the moment?
Will 150 to 200 AR help me take less damage from the flares?

Thanks guys any hints and tips would be appreciated
Menali

Postby Doloth » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:15 am

If you are the MT for curator, arcane resistance is useless and gimps your other tank stats. As for tanking the flares, they constantly dump their aggro, so there are few ways to effectively tank em, so it is best to just burn em asap.

Consecration might catch their attention for a little bit, but then they would head off to someone else. HoJ might help a little bit, but for 1 flare every 10 seconds, it is not really an option.

200 spell damage is plenty for anything but as previously said, the flares are virtually untankable.

Concentration aura would help with spell interrupts and it is a good idea to keep it up (I will try that next time I tank em). Never thought of it :).

The only reliable way to "tank" the flares is to have a warlock in full arcane resist gear (soulcloth/arcanoweave stuff) and spam searing pain on the flares, as this causes a ton of aggro, even when they dump it. He could also act as the off tank to curator himself by throwing a dot on em to keep second on the aggro list.

Finally, you just need to kill the flares in under 10 seconds, or your dps is too undergeared for Curator. Tanking him is easy, he hits like a pansy.
Doloth

Postby Base » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:33 am

I find the best way is to pull out a big two hander a few dps items and use Seal of Blood/JoB - If I judge as soon as they spawn I can usually tank them and keep them away from the clothies.

Obviously this doesn't help for the Allies - but for us Belfs is quite handy.
Base

Postby Menali » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:44 am

Sorry didn't mean HoJ but rather SoR... early morning for me. Thinking about it after I saw the seal of blood idea would something like this work?

/tar astral
/castsequence reset=combat/target Seal of Blood ,Judgement

or even

/tar astral
/castsequence reset=10/target Seal of Blood ,Judgement
Menali

Postby Zeels » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:14 am

Menali wrote:Sorry didn't mean HoJ but rather SoR... early morning for me. Thinking about it after I saw the seal of blood idea would something like this work?

/tar astral
/castsequence reset=combat/target Seal of Blood ,Judgement

or even

/tar astral
/castsequence reset=10/target Seal of Blood ,Judgement

Don't bother with the flare IMO. I usually MT the dude. I concecrate all the time, and it never draws attention from the flares. Don't worry about the casters, just be sure to nuke the flare down fast enough. The offtank can use arcane res for the hateful strike, but so far my offtank have run without. Our 2 healers don't get oom.
By the Power of Grey Skull!

Lvl 80 Spanks you very much Spankadin!

Spank
Zeels

Postby Claydon » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:26 am

I know this might be a stupid question but you are positioning people far enought away from each other right?

i think you have to be 15yards? apart so the flares dont cause people close damage as well.

Our guild just nukes the flares fast, all of our clothies have enough HP to withstand the flare for the time that it is targeting them, and because only a few people are taking damage the healers dont have a problem.

If you are only taking two healers to Curator you could always try take another.
Claydon

Postby Zhalseran » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:03 am

If your going to try and control the flares, your just going to end up failing. They have no aggro list for ~4 seconds unless im mistaken. Casters just have to spread out and let the DPS do their job while you do yours. Even trying to control the flares is a waste of time and energy.

PS: Arcane resistance is almost useless in that fight. Only time it was useless is when you could tank the hateful bolts, which you cant anymore
Zhalseran

Postby inthedrops » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:04 am

This fight is all about dps. It's the easist boss to tank in the whole instance. Don't try to tank the flares. The flares MUST die in 10 seconds or less or you will lose.

If you are very ranged heavy, it's ok to spread out in order to reduce AoE flare damage. BUT, if your heavy dps are melee or if you have a melee heavy group you're better off bunching up and healing through it. Otherwise your melee dps will spend more time running around and less time dps'ing.

Remember, it's a dps fight. If your raid can't kill the flare before the next one pops up you need to solve that problem before ANYTING else. Once DPS is at the level needed then you can start worrying other things going wrong.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Stylaan » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:09 am

Granted whenever I run kara now it's usually in pugs with various gear levels but I've typically only asked warriors and ranged to handle flares. If I have 2 good burst ranged I'll put them together with a warrior and assign them as flare duty. Everyone else on curator the entire time.

I've found that it's more managable to keep melee from running around as long as the flares are still going down in 10 seconds. Usually, melee helping out means ranged can get in 1-2 fireballs/shadowbolts but the amount of dps gained by just simply having Melee stay on the curator far outweighs that as almost every melee class works into a better rotation when they're stationary.

He's usually at 70-75% on first evocation and we leave the 2 ranged to clean up the last flare while the warrior begins DPS. We've forced enrage after one evocation a few times.

Probably wouldn't work too well if your dps can't kill flares fast enough though.
Stylaan

Postby Everlight » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:21 pm

You don't need an OT for this fight, and it's harmful if you have one.

Just have everyone stand in a U shape, with the melee in the middle, and you at the top. If anyone gets aggro from a flare, they run into the middle until the flare's off them, then return to position.

And everyone kill flares first. Always. No DPS on Curator unless Flares are dead.
Everlight

Postby Zhalseran » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:27 pm

Everlight wrote:And everyone kill flares first. Always. No DPS on Curator unless Flares are dead.

That depends on your DPS. Flares should always be your priority, but if you have good DPS you stand to gain a lot by keeping one or more people on the boss at all times. Even keeping DoTs on Curator while killing adds can be very helpful
Last edited by Zhalseran on Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zhalseran

Postby jere » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:38 pm

Some tips:

1. Don't tank the flares. Just kill them fast
2. At 57 seconds till evocation have any and all warlocks pop a curse of doom on him so that it goes off during the evocation.
3. He should be dead by the 3rd evocation. If not, you are taking too long. Once your dps is better, you can get him down in as little as 1.5 evocations (maybe faster), but starting out, if you hit 4 evocations, then your dps needs to do something different/better
4. If you have more than one flare up at any time, your dps is moving too slowly. Those things need to die.

We typically just group up together so the melee have an easy time getting the flares down fast and then going to the curator.
jere

Postby plisken451 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:56 pm

Everlight wrote:And everyone kill flares first. Always. No DPS on Curator unless Flares are dead.

Absolute truth. My guild is on the ragged edge of dps for this fight, and is melee heavy. I mark one of the rogues with a lucky charm, and insist that everybody dog-piles on him. That way, they're not spending any time chasing down the flares, and can get it down with about 2 or 3 sec of dps on Curator. When the last flare before the evocate comes out, I have everybody pop their trinkets, enhanced dmg cooldowns, and what-not to put as much enhanced damage on Curator as possible. I even get the priest to use her shadowfiend...she gets back about 6k+ mana.
ImageRetired

Mirraluun - Asmodian Chanter - Fregion Server - Eated by hackers
plisken451

Postby Questioner » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:03 pm

The first half a dozen times I did this fight we spread out and chased flares around and made it by the 4th evocation. Then it hit me ... spreading out is dumb.

The first time we tried my method he died during the second evocation, and we realized it is silly to do it any other way. Everyone stacks up under, and just behind curator. EVERY SINGLE PERSON. Why is this smarter?

1.) The flares can only hit 3 people at once, and they will almost always hit 3 people whether you are spread out or not.

2.) Flares and curator get hit by multi-target effects like consecration, bladeflurry and whirlwind.

3.) You lose 0 dps due to movement.

4.) Melee can immediately switch back to curator when a flair dies.

5.) Chain heal, prom, and circle of healing really shine.

6.) The fight is shorter, which means healers can heal harder.
<3 Tankadin at Heart.

Not necessarily accurate: Armory
Questioner

Postby Stylaan » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:07 pm

Questioner wrote:The first half a dozen times I did this fight we spread out and chased flares around and made it by the 4th evocation. Then it hit me ... spreading out is dumb.

The first time we tried my method he died during the second evocation, and we realized it is silly to do it any other way. Everyone stacks up under, and just behind curator. EVERY SINGLE PERSON. Why is this smarter?

1.) The flares can only hit 3 people at once, and they will almost always hit 3 people whether you are spread out or not.

2.) Flares and curator get hit by multi-target effects like consecration, bladeflurry and whirlwind.

3.) You lose 0 dps due to movement.

4.) Melee can immediately switch back to curator when a flair dies.

5.) Chain heal, prom, and circle of healing really shine.

6.) The fight is shorter, which means healers can heal harder.

Unless you're overloaded with Melee having all your ranged (warlocks with CoD in particular) at the 110% melee threat cap isn't always fun.

But it's a viable strategy if you have a lot of melee.
Stylaan

Next

Return to Karazhan