LK phase 3 - soaking Vile spirits, how?

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

LK phase 3 - soaking Vile spirits, how?

Postby Roadrunner » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:01 am

Hi
This might seem like a noob question, but the thing is I have never been asked to do this. Usually in our guild runs, we don't have a tank soaking up the damage from Vile spirits, but we spread out the raid and try to DPS as many of them down as possible.
Well a few days ago I have made a run with some guys from top guilds on my server and in p3 the main tank told me to "soak up the spirits". While I do understand what I have to do, I do not know how. Those things when they appear are high in the air, so there is no way for me to aggro on them. I taunted one, which came to me, AS other 3 which did not aggro on me (dunno why) and the rest went for the raid which was piled up on the side of the platform killing one healer. Also tried RD on one, but it did not trigger...
Can someone please enlighten me on this?

Thanks
Roadrunner

Re: LK phase 3 - soaking Vile spirits, how?

Postby Anorian » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:27 am

The best way is have your raid stand on the edge of the platform, as soon as he starts casting everyone runs to the other side. Have a hunter put a frost trap in the middle and run LK over it so it triggers. The ghosts will start moving to the raid and thus dropping in altitude, the distance + the frost trap combined is enough that you can run through them to pop them before they reach the raid(jumping might help not sure but I do it anyway).

On RD, you have to make sure they actually target someone, this takes a few seconds, but it definitely works once they do.
Anorian

Postby pfunkmort » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:05 pm

[2.Trade][Alessan]: Is WoW becoming an online kart racer in 4.0.3?
[2.Trade][Tehron]: Yes
pfunkmort

Postby Gromadur » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:45 am

Hey there,

I have a short question about soaking the spirits in the (10 man) heroic version of the encounter.
My 10 man raid is stuck in the last phase since 4 weeks. It is no big deal to get Arthas < 40% life,
but the vile spirits are bombing the raid constantly.

There is no Hunter for the Frost Trap in our lineup. Is this mandatory?
We use our second Tank (Death Knight)to soak the spirits. But they just fly by and won't explode.
I'm tanking LK on the steppes of the throne, let him cast vile spirits and then run to the teleporter. And vice versa.
So there should be enough space between raid and spirits.

This works fine for the first wave. But after the second frostmourne phase, vile spirits are already ontop of the raid.
So we try to run as far away as possible in one direction.
But this never works out. The soaker is not able to get 5/10 spirits and the raid wipes.

I would really appreciate some advice :oops:
Gromadur

Postby Brutalus » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:22 am

Soaking the vile spirits is actually quite an easy job on 10man heroic, if your raid does it properly. A hunter trap/earthbind (or some other slow) certainly makes it easier, but is by no means necessary.

Swapping between the throne and the teleporter is fine. Just make sure that before you enter the frostmourne room you drag the boss to at least the middle of the room, you can take him all the way to the other end but it just comes across as more of a dps loss than anything else to me. This ensures that you'll exit in the middle(ish) of the room which gives you enough time to handle defile/piling up. Just spread out with the defile when you come out and then everyone makes their way to the boss and you pile up on the same spot.

Honestly, the biggest two pieces of advice I can give anyone for soaking vile spirits is to make sure you don't go too far away or they will just fly over your head and make sure the raid is really packed up on one spot. I mean, if all of the vile spirits are chasing your raid members and they're all on the same spot, they will literally fly in the same direction. And if this happens your soaker can pretty much stand still and watch them fly straight into him and just /lol with a cooldown up. If any of them get through then he can just blame someone else for not hugging properly :D.
Brutalus

Postby Treck » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:15 am

Id almost recommend kiting LK in more of a triangle, instead of just back and forth all the time.
Since a few bad defiles or slow spirits might make you unable to move in a perfect line back and forth.
And when soaking, dont forget Holy Wrath, Avengers Shield, and both your taunts.
Usually run into all of them proccing whatever i hit, then throw my shield on some (making them dazed moving so slow you dont really have to mind proccing them for a while), and taunt whatever spirits are going away from you (some might even have passed you), and jump and holy wrath, gives you 3 sec to run into them, or 3 sec to let your healers top you up again before you start proccing them.
Dont focus on trying to make the spirits run as far as possible before they reach the raid, as long as there is a decent distance, it shouldnt be a problem.
And if everyone is stacked up ontop of the MT, then they shouldnt be spread out at all making all spirits come in one line.
Even so, if the spirits starts getting close, if your MT starts running and everyone else runs with him, you can kite the spirits forever, eather giving your soaker more time to reach them, or even ignore them untill they despawn (while possible, you will have to run around way to much, and really not recommendable).
Treck

Postby claisa » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:01 am

Hi i am part of a ten man social team that runs twice a week. We are working on lich king heroic and got him into phase 5 with everyone up last night for the first time.

We are getting better with moving around the frostmourne room and finishing of the raging spirits and moving for defile when we come out of frostmourne. The final piece of the puzzle is soaking the spirits.

In normal mode we would kite lich king around and lose the odd person to exploding spirits but we just powered through. Now we really need to tighten this section up.

We run with two tanks and 3 healers, 4 range DPS and one melee DPs.

As far as i see it we have two options. Kite better with raid stacking up and off tank soaking or reading through the 10 man normal thread spread around the edge of the circle to allow a distribution of vile spirit explosions. On a tank they hit for about 15k dam. with 3 healers will this be easily healable? I am thinking there will be a lot more DPS burning the lich king down in the final phase and a lot more healing as no one is moving.

If it can be healed through only issue i can think of is the defile placement after we come back from the frostmournes room. Can see us having to collapse on top of each other to one side of the circle just beforebeing dragged into frostmournes room so that when we move back to around the circle, no defile in the way regards raid placement.

Crazy idea/good idea?

PS with regards off tanking soaking spirits, our cooldowns only reduce incoming dam by 20% rather than 50% so not feeling so indestructable.
claisa

Postby Brutalus » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:44 am

PS with regards off tanking soaking spirits, our cooldowns only reduce incoming dam by 20% rather than 50% so not feeling so indestructable.

I have never tried the spreading out tactic, so I can't really comment, but I'm definately also feeling this as of late; I managed to die to vile spirits last week. It taught me that it's probably wise now to get a pain suppresion when I only have a 20% cooldoon available without the sindragosa trinket. Looking back at the logs now though, soaking shouldn't really be a problem as long as the soaker is a bit more careful than before to not charge head-first into all of the spirits. Basically, if you're going to use the soaking tactic, don't do this:

[23:16:58.069] Vile Spirit Spirit Burst Brutalus 5141 (O: -1, A: 18193, R: 3601)
[23:16:58.069] Vile Spirit Spirit Burst Brutalus 21198 (O: -1, R: 7360)
[23:16:58.069] Vile Spirit Spirit Burst Brutalus 20908 (O: -1, R: 7259)
[23:16:58.458] Luvable Echo of Light Brutalus +111
[23:16:58.458] Brutalus Censure The Lich King 1644 (O: -1)
[23:16:58.514] Vile Spirit Spirit Burst Brutalus 16376 (O: -1, A: 2132, R: 11016)
[23:16:58.926] Vile Spirit Spirit Burst Brutalus 19973 (O: 1257, R: 7372)

That's with only a 20% cooldown up without the Sindragosa trinket, had I used the key/ToGC trinket or any other cooldown, I would have survived. ie. Before the patch, I would have survived rushing into 5 of them in <1 second due to stronger cooldowns, now I won't.
Brutalus

Postby Belloc » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:13 am

claisa wrote:Hi i am part of a ten man social team that runs twice a week. We are working on lich king heroic and got him into phase 5 with everyone up last night for the first time.

We are getting better with moving around the frostmourne room and finishing of the raging spirits and moving for defile when we come out of frostmourne. The final piece of the puzzle is soaking the spirits.

In normal mode we would kite lich king around and lose the odd person to exploding spirits but we just powered through. Now we really need to tighten this section up.

We run with two tanks and 3 healers, 4 range DPS and one melee DPs.

As far as i see it we have two options. Kite better with raid stacking up and off tank soaking or reading through the 10 man normal thread spread around the edge of the circle to allow a distribution of vile spirit explosions. On a tank they hit for about 15k dam. with 3 healers will this be easily healable? I am thinking there will be a lot more DPS burning the lich king down in the final phase and a lot more healing as no one is moving.

If it can be healed through only issue i can think of is the defile placement after we come back from the frostmournes room. Can see us having to collapse on top of each other to one side of the circle just beforebeing dragged into frostmournes room so that when we move back to around the circle, no defile in the way regards raid placement.

Crazy idea/good idea?

First thing's first: A week or two ago our OT died in the last phase, so we had no soaker. We handled this by spreading out, PW:Shielding as many people as possible and just healing through the spirit explosions. They hurt REALLY bad (2 explosions, even with a PW:S, might kill a person) but they can be healed through. If you do decide to do this, keep the LK in the middle of the room and spread out in a big circle so that only one person is eating each explosion.

That said, I recommend soaking. Here's what you need to know:

First, yes, you need a slow. If you don't have a hunter, use a shaman totem. If you spawn the spirits at opposite ends, put the totem in the middle of the room between them. When the spirits are coming down, everyone must be stacked on the LK (so that the spirits are going in one direction). Defile will screw with this a lot, so be ready to move away and then stack back up.

Here's something that I found key: When the spirits are slowed... have a cooldown up and blow up a few. Check your health: Is it low? If yes, stop and wait for a heal. If you have to stop, hit holy wrath to stun the adds, giving you more time before you have to blow them up.

If a spirit is going off in a weird direction, taunt it or hit it with your AS. Assuming no one else has attacked them, you should be able to get them on you. If you decide not to use a pure soaking strat, this alone will help you eat 4 or 5 of them.

So, yeah, use a slowing totem, manage your cooldowns (sindra trinket and aura mastery are good cooldowns, too), and Holy Wrath the adds when your health gets low and then wait for a heal. You will probably have to holy wrath the adds on every single wave, so don't waste it.
Belloc

Postby claisa » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:35 am

Any other options for slowing other than hunter or shaman.

raid composition

Holy pally
disc priest
tree druid

Warlock
Warlock
Shadow priest
Boomkin
Rogue

Paladin tank
Druid tank

Other classes that can sub in
DK tank
Mage (can play any spec, currently on druid tank)

I am not able to raid this sunday, so likely a dk is taking my place but trying to help with tactics anyway with that final phase.

Got a lot of people coming back to the team for cataclysm like shamans and hunters but till then bit stuck for choice

May have to try standing in a circle and hoping our 3 healers are lightning quick on the heals.
claisa

Postby Belloc » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:02 am

The only hope I see for that comp is using the boomkin to knock the spirits back every time. This won't be perfect (or nearly as effective or safe), but it might work. Holy wrath stuns will be doubly important.

With your comp, I'm going to suggest planting LK in the middle and just spreading out in a big circle. When the spirits go up, put shields on EVERYONE. When the spirits come down, get ready to throw out some big raid heals. When a raider gets hit by a spirit, they should run until they're at full health.

Your warlocks, btw, should be using shadow ward/nether ward every time the spirits are coming.

Finally, position your OT somewhere with a bit more room than the rest of the raid. When the spirits become active (and NO sooner... wait for them to target someone before doing this) have him throw out his avenger's shield and start taunting the other ones. This should cause at least 5 spirits to head for him. If he blows a cooldown and survives, that's 5 less spirits for the rest of the raid to soak.

I'm a bit curious: How is your DPS doing on LK without a heroism? In all honesty, I don't think heroic LK would've been possible with your comp pre-4.0.1. I think you're going to need a bit of luck (or extreme skill/gear) in the DPS department to beat the enrage on this one. Best of luck!
Belloc

Postby Neptuno » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:46 am

boomkin's typhoon does a slow as well. that can offset some of the spirits by a little bit. and getting them to ground level shadowfury would help too.
Neptuno

Postby claisa » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:19 am

The team got our first kill last night, due to commitments wasn't able to be on line so they got a dk tank in to replace me. They went with the kite and soak technique. Couldn't soak them all by the sounds of it but managed to explode enough on himself to get a kill. Not sure how tidy it was or how many times they got into the final phase. Will be going back there this week. 1min 30 seconds left on enrage. So can definitly confirm 4.01 boosted everyones DPS apart from rogues so no longer needing to carry shaman through content :)

Holy pally
disc priest
tree druid

Warlock
Warlock
Shadow priest
Boomkin
Rogue

DK tank
Druid tank
claisa

Postby Nemi » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:30 am

we got our first (and only screw icc) H LK 10 with only 10 man gear. Our set up was:

Pally tank (Adds)
DK Tank (OP LK tank)

Tree... err resto druid
Disc preist x2

Lock of some kind
Ele sham
Arc Mage

Rogue
Arms War

What we did is spread out around the room, as this is much easier with the disc priest(s) shields and just soaked. I'd run around taunting ghosts bringing any that doubled up on our healers.

Also what we did was the before the last Frostmourne phase we killed our ele sham and warrior Battle Rez'd the warrior and used ankh. We go in portal they stay out and pewpew the LK. This tactic is OP btw. They just stand outside and execute / spam stuff while we run around playing dodgeball in Frostmourne room.
Nemi

Return to T10: Icecrown Citadel