Remove Advertisements

[Ret-PvE] Hellion Glaive -> Oxheart = DPS drop?

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[Ret-PvE] Hellion Glaive -> Oxheart = DPS drop?

Postby Tithus » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:47 pm

For starters, here is my armory.

I just came back to the game after a 6 month hiatus and my guildies were nice enough to let me run through ICC10 last night. I picked up Oxheart and assumed it would be an upgrade over my Hellion Glaive. I got it enchanted with Berserking, gemmed it with two str gems and queued up for a heroic to see how I'd murder the charts. Instead, it was like being in Soviet Russia...the charts murdered me. After swapping out weapons a couple of times I realized that my dps was basically cut in half when using Oxheart. This was disappointing. I went to bed thinking that there was something I was just missing and I was too tired to see it.

I wake up this morning and head to the dummies to do a little test. Again, my dps is basically halved when using Oxheart over the Hellion Glaive. Now I'm just confused. Is this correct? Is Hellion Glaive really the better weapon?

The only stat that seems to drop when using the Glaive is my crit chance. It's a pretty significant drop (35.65 to 31.34). Is that the cause of my issues? I figured that the massive increase in strength would offset the loss of agility.

I guess I just need someone to tell me I'm not losing my mind. Or if I am losing my mind, let me know what I'm doing wrong.
Tithus

Re: [Ret-PvE] Hellion Glaive -> Oxheart = DPS drop?

Postby amh » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:57 pm

Is your two handed mace skill maxed out? Can't tell from your armory.
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Tithus » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:56 pm

Ugh, maybe I should take some more time off. I completely forgot about the actual weapon skill. It was sitting at 379, so I guess I didn't see any skill-ups in chat due to the infrequency.

Thanks for nailing it in one. I'm gonna go hide my face in shame now. :oops:
Tithus

Postby amh » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:07 am

Good stuff. :)
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby warden » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:19 am

Don't feel bad, I did this too when I switched from my axe to my mace (I'd NEVER used a 2h mace before). Poor pugs in that heroic, just ripping on me for how I could only do 1300 dps, 85% from consecrate, and me not being able to figure out why until a guildie ret pointed it out.

"Don't facepalm at me... Ret paladins don't facepalm each other. Its against the code!" -Anafielle
warden
Maintankadonor

Postby Punkss2 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:52 pm

We had a DK with a 5.5 Gearscore doing only 800 dps. We kept asking him if this was an ebay toon or what. At the very end of the run, he thanked us all for allowing him to lvl his unarmed. I actually got a great laugh out of it.
Thinking of starting WOW again....
Punkss2

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes