Remove Advertisements

What enchant for slow dps weapons?

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

What enchant for slow dps weapons?

Postby econ21 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:00 pm

We've had various discussions of how slow dps weapons are increasingly attractive to tankadins rather than normal (fast) tank weapons. This is partly because newcomers are having to compete with over-geared dps for threat. Partly because top end players' tps does not scale as well as that of the dps in their raids. And partly because the middle of the road folk - like me - are doing content they are over-geared for and in little danger of tank-death.

But given all this, how should you enchant a slow dps weapon as a tankadin? Until now, I have had blood draining on my "real" tanking weapon - the facelifter - and berserking on my threat weapon - the hilt weapon. I like blood draining because there is a slim chance it might save my life; I like berserking as it is the highest threat enchant, I feel I can bear the armour loss (it's what - about 1.5k armour or equivalent to 1500 hps, on a proc only?) and I fool around a lot in Wintergrasp where I value burst damage. Tonight I got the Bloodvenom Blade and I inclined to go berserking again. Should one be conservative and go blood draining? Or one use a "safer" threat option that does not hurt survivability (trouble is, they all look so bland)?

At the moment, I am 11/12 on ICC10 normal. I will use the facelifter for the LK but am inclined to use the Bloodvenom blade for most other things (even on Sindy, I am the off tank).

For people who have slow dps weapons, what enchant have you gone for and why?
Last edited by econ21 on Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
econ21

Re: What enchant for slow dps weapons?

Postby fuzzygeek » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:30 pm

Generally if you are at all concerned about DPS, survivability isn't a factor and Berzerking would be the way to go. Otherwise, accuracy if you are still concerned about the -armor proc.

Also, you really should check out your combat logs to check the efficacy of blood draining with your raid. You may be surprised and/or disgusted.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Arnock » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:45 pm

Mongoose is pretty good as well.
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby Marblehead » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:58 am

This is my view of weapon enchants.

Code: Select all
Survivability  ------->  Survivability  ------->  Blood Draining
  or threat?
      |
      |
      v
   Threat
      |
      |
      v
Do you mind the  ------->  No  ------->  Berserking
armor debuff?
      |
      |
      v
     Yes
      |
      |
      v
   Are you
hit capped?  ------->  No  ------->  Accuracy
      |
      |
      v
     Yes
      |
      |
      v
  Mongoose
Life is not difficult, people are.
Marblehead

Postby Barathorn » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:05 am

I used Accuracy, it seems fine for both PVE Threat and for Arena PVP on the Axe I have from Gunship.
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby econ21 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:22 pm

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I am glad I posted here before enchanting. I was sorely tempted by berserking, but I guess I will go with accuracy. Up until now, I've used berserking with a slow dps weapon on trash and a proper tank weapon on bosses. However, I am going try using Bloodvenom Blade on bosses. In that case, the 5% armor cost of berserking seems too big a downside. Taking Theckhd's numbers, it looks like the threat increase from berserking is not that dramatic (1.5%) - and far less than what I will get from switching from a 251 tanking weapon to a 264 slow dps weapon (6.6% in my case).

I've armoried Yappo's failsafe tank and atm, he is in pretty much wearing my "main tank" gear but with a slow dps weapon with accuracy. That's inspired me to create a boss tanking set that includes a slow dps weapon. If I substitute bloodvenom blade for my existing weapon, face lifter, I will be close enough to the hit cap if I use accuracy.
econ21

Postby tlitp » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:22 am

Slow weapon = low attack rate = inflation of PPM-based effects = deflation of COE-based effects.

* COE ≡ static chance on event; usual subtypes : on-hit/on-crit (more peculiar examples : HS and Reckoning are both paladin-specific, COE-based effects)
tlitp

Postby Feanorion » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:21 am

fuzzygeek wrote:Generally if you are at all concerned about DPS, survivability isn't a factor and Berzerking would be the way to go. Otherwise, accuracy if you are still concerned about the -armor proc.

Also, you really should check out your combat logs to check the efficacy of blood draining with your raid. You may be surprised and/or disgusted.

I am already hit-capped, so I went for the AP enchant. I would have used the +20 Strength, but no one that I know of has it. So I have the Frost Giant's Cleaver with Superior Potency.
Feanorion

Postby Barathorn » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:51 am

Feanorion wrote:
fuzzygeek wrote:Generally if you are at all concerned about DPS, survivability isn't a factor and Berzerking would be the way to go. Otherwise, accuracy if you are still concerned about the -armor proc.

I am already hit-capped, so I went for the AP enchant. I would have used the +20 Strength, but no one that I know of has it. So I have the Frost Giant's Cleaver with Superior Potency.

Please do not necro threads and then add nothing to them.

Thanks.
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Feanorion » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:19 pm

Barathorn wrote:Please do not necro threads and then add nothing to them.

Thanks.

My apologies. I didn't look at the date. It was on the front page of this forum, so I (erroneously) assumed it was current.
Feanorion

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice