Armor, stats and talents poblems with aggro

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Armor, stats and talents poblems with aggro

Postby Nico » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:54 am

Hello friends

Sorry for not searching the forum but my English are not good

Listen to your website in the forum of Spain and I found very interesting

Basically I have a Palatank but I have agro problems, my current armor, stats and talents are:

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet ... &cn=Vladii

Please can you help me with some advice

Thank you very much
Nico

Re: Armor, stats and talents poblems with aggro

Postby econ21 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:10 pm

Can you be more specific about your aggro problems? What instance(s)? Against what? Who takes aggro etc? How do you pull and what is your rotation?

Because there is nothing obviously threat deficient I can see about your gear or spec. You are close to the hit cap and exceed the expertise soft cap, with a decent weapon and gear.

In terms of hardware, if you want to increase threat you could read this thread:
http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/ ... =viewtopic
The most important single element is probably getting a slow dps weapon - e.g. from the battered hilt quest. Also the ret libram and darkmoon card greatness are things you could wear in most normal raids. Then as many ret (or pvp) items/gems/enchants as you dare.

But it is more likely a "software" issue - either you are not generating enough threat by your moves (not being aggressive enough with the pull; not following the 969 rotation; not use seal of command on trash) or your dpsers are generating too much (do they use athreat meter like omen? tricks of the trade and misdirects? wait a second or two before unleashing hell? etc).

One add-on I found very useful was threatplates - it enlarges the bars of enemies you don't have aggro on, making it much easier to identify them and so target a taunt or other move to get them on you.
econ21

Postby Marklevin » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:12 pm

First off, when you link your spec a few things stand out to me. First, you took 5/5 Divinity, and if you're looking for more threat then 5/5 Divine Strength would be best, because Strength is one of our best threat stats. Also, 5/5 reckoning isn't necessary, I'll link to you the commonly used spec, it has crusade so you get a 3% or 6% damage increase, which will also help your threat.

Here is that spec: http://www.wowhead.com/talent#sZV0tAbuMusIufdxfMzbc

Also, your rotation may be causing the issue. If you frequent here, you may have read about the 969 rotation. It's alternating your 6 second cooldown abilities with your 8 second cooldown abities, but the way it lines up they have an effective 9 second cooldown.

Here is the rotation with that spec: Holy Shield (0.0s), Hammer of the Righteous (1.5s), Judgement (3.0s), Shield of Righteousness (4.5s), Consecration (6s), Hammer of the Righteous (7.5s), Holy Shield (9.0s), Shield of Righteousness (10.5s), Judgement (12.0s), Hammer of the Righteous (13.5s), Consecration (15s), Shield of Righteousness (16.5s)
Personally, I think ToC had the hardest trash in the game. Wait... what do you mean? Those were bosses!? Lies.
Marklevin

Postby Nico » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:34 pm

Thank you for your comments

First I want to mention that I did not know the 969 rotation thing I'm going to implement. (Although I do something similar)

Think about my stats are right?

About the gun I understand you, I should have a dps weapon?

Specifically I have more problems with warriors and hunters. The strange thing is happening at certain times and do not know why. As I mentioned I work on my rotation and I will comment the results
Nico

Postby econ21 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:53 pm

Nico wrote:Specifically I have more problems with warriors and hunters.

If it is hunters, you might ask them to misdirect to you. I tend not to worry about them pulling aggro too much, as they can feign death.
econ21

Postby Barathorn » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:45 am

Nico wrote:Thank you for your comments

First I want to mention that I did not know the 969 rotation thing I'm going to implement. (Although I do something similar)

Think about my stats are right?

About the gun I understand you, I should have a dps weapon?

Specifically I have more problems with warriors and hunters. The strange thing is happening at certain times and do not know why. As I mentioned I work on my rotation and I will comment the results

Another thing to check Nico is that if you have a warrior co-tank that they are not putting Vigilance on you.

969 rotation should solve your aggro issues :wink: .

Barathorn
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Njall » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:56 am

Yeah, I am having some aggro troubles in ICC raids of late. Enough that one of the guild leaders took me aside to ask me about my spec and gear. In particularly, one DK was saying his auto-attack was casing hm to pull equal my threat with the intial pull.

I am using the 969 rotation though I may not be getting misdirects at the start - we have some sloppy hunters at times. I am not getting vigilanced as far as I can tell. It has happened on some of the bosses in RS as well.

Until recently, much of our main tanking was handled by a HUGEDLY geared prot pally and a very, very good warrior. With the unlamented departure of our old raid leader, I've been getting more tanking duties.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Fenris&cn=Njall

The Kirin Tor ring is not correct. I have the Heroic Abomination's Ring.
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby Bladesong » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:27 pm

I've also seen my threat go from having a large buffer to having issues in some situations. My armory:

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Uldaman&n=Bladesong

I've been using 969, keeping my Expertise at or above the soft cap, swapping to a slow dps weapon (and even some dps gear) on less damaging fights and even tried dropping in a bunch of Str/Stam gems (very little effect, I'll be changing back). I'm not a tanking expert or a mathematician, but my guess is that as our raids gets better gear the dps keeps doing more and more damage, but our tank gear is giving us survivability and very little extra damage/threat, so they are catching up. There are three places in particular that it's becoming a problem for me:

1) Our Shadowmourne wielding Fury warrior and the geared Kitty we used to have. I was using Hand of Salvation on them soon after the fight started and I created a macro to use Righteous Defense on the warrior for trash pulls. Hunters catch me as well, but they can Feign Death or Misdirect so I'm not worried about them.

2) My DK co-tank and the dps DK who occasionally tanks (both tank Frost). Once the fight is rolling I'm fine, but in the opening seconds they can pull from me if they get some big hits. I get Tricks from my rogues, but there's a short delay before they get their damage rolling.

3) Adds on heroic Valithria. I use a slow dps weapon and SoC, but if I'm trying to kite an Abomb or Zombie to a safe location, they will sometimes get pulled.

Unfortunately, the answer always seems to be to tell someone else to hold off for a second and after an entire expansion of crazy threat people are just too used to unloading damage as soon as possible.
Bladesong

Return to Basic Training & Talents