Prince and Infernals

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Prince and Infernals

Postby Claydon » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:07 am

Went to kara last night to help some new guild memeber get gear. We started at Aran and did hoof, chess and then got to prince.

i was sitting on about 17k buffed and had all the potions etc that i would need for the fight.

we managed to wipe 4 times before giving up. The main problem was infernals, my health was fine to the point i was always running OOM because i wasnt getting hit much.

I had a friend on vent telling me which way to move because of shitty infernals, but somehow we just kept getting killed because of their positioning.

Are there any good tips people have for managing infernals or is it really just the luck of the draw with them.

I only recently took up tanking so this was my first time on prince and it was very annoying and embarrasing to wipe so many times on a boss i think i pretty much outgear.
Claydon

Postby Doloth » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:10 am

A quote I heard pretty much applies to this:
"Gruul is a gear check. High King is a coordination check. Prince is a luck check."

You can completely outgear Prince, but if he enfeebles your healers right as an infernal lands on em, nothing you can do.

Pretty much have to try again and again until you get lucky with infernals. Might help to have dps burn em down faster to avoid as many infernals, but with a pally tank, they are pretty much going all out the whole fight.
Doloth

Postby Lakirby » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:08 am

Took us 3 tries last weekend:

- First try, got boxed in by infernals. 15% wipe.
- Second try, EVERY infernal landed right on top of me. I'm not joking. Wipe at 22%.
- Third try, never had to move at all. Fast kill.

Randomness ftl.
Lakirby

Postby Claydon » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:09 am

Doloth wrote:A quote I heard pretty much applies to this:
"Gruul is a gear check. High King is a coordination check. Prince is a luck check."

You can completely outgear Prince, but if he enfeebles your healers right as an infernal lands on em, nothing you can do.

Pretty much have to try again and again until you get lucky with infernals. Might help to have dps burn em down faster to avoid as many infernals, but with a pally tank, they are pretty much going all out the whole fight.

Yeh i know what you mean, i have been there as a healer and we have had lucky infernals and done it first time, adn then other times been there and wiped 6 times becuase of infernals.

DPS was never close to my threat, and they were going all out. We did have a warrior that kept dying to enfeebles which was very annoying.
Claydon

Postby Korath » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:01 am

We have had alot of success using the 'safe' spots outlined on the wowwikki page. It doesnt solve the problem of melee having to run in and out as infernals can sometimes line in the middle of the 2 groups.

but for the last 4 runs neither tank or ranged group has had to move.

.::. Karak 70 Resto Shaman .::.
.::. Sajuuk 70 Destro Warlock .::.
.::. Bentusi 60 Ret Paladin .::.
Korath

Postby ehly » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:16 am

My Kara group learned with the running around method. We had a hunter marked with his camera up at the sky and called out where they were about to land. So we knew fairly quickly when we had to move or not.

Most of our guilds Kara groups use the safe spots. I've done several runs helping those groups as well. Generally speaking they are very safe. There is still a luck factor, but the chances of infernals in those areas are extremly low.
ehly

Postby Claydon » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:23 am

cheers for the replies, i will have to look at the wow wiki page for it. I never bothered as i just stood where i have seen out MT stand when i was healing in there.
Claydon

Postby Zhalseran » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:03 am

It's really luck based. Ever since 2.3 my guild has had retardedly horrible infernals. Then all of a sudden we 1-shot him last night with bad, but not wipe-inducing infernals.

I'm personally hesitant to use the safe-spot. I've tried it, but every time I do it, it seems the infernals purposely land right on the edges and box out all our melee.
Zhalseran

Postby Yeti » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:06 am

Korath wrote:We have had alot of success using the 'safe' spots outlined on the wowwikki page. It doesnt solve the problem of melee having to run in and out as infernals can sometimes line in the middle of the 2 groups.

but for the last 4 runs neither tank or ranged group has had to move.

This is true. The safe spot method can be very melee-unfriendly, as it can result in the group getting boxed in against the wall (melee would need to run in and out through infernal AoE). The group is safe, but your melee will lose access to Prince. If you have a lot of melee you may not want to use those spots. Just do it the regular way and do a good job spotting infernals and moving before you get boxed in.

Yeti

Postby Stylaan » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:06 am

I'm a fan of moving with the infernal drops.

I find it's a good test to see which members of a raid are flat-footed. Movement is critical as you progress anyways, might as well get everyone used to shuffling early.
Stylaan

Postby Yeti » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:41 am

Stylaan wrote:I'm a fan of moving with the infernal drops.

I find it's a good test to see which members of a raid are flat-footed. Movement is critical as you progress anyways, might as well get everyone used to shuffling early.

/agree

Although my guild is only on Gruul/ZA, I see the value in getting good at coordinating movement while maintaining healing, dps, etc.

Yeti

Postby Shakkra » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:06 am

Eight weeks of "first try" for prince.

All ranged stand behind the closed door.
Tank stands just behind the alcove on the right wall.
Except melee dd, noone moves, nor pays attention to hellfire.
Byebye luck.

Course we usually have only 2 melee, if most of your dd is melee, this wont work.
Shakkra

Postby utena » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:12 pm

Shakkra's listed strat = win.
utena

Postby xyzor » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:52 pm

QFT.

I use the Prince fight (among other factors), and players' ability to move together when necessary, as a benchmark before I recommend people in my 10-man group for 25-man content. It just shows a level of awareness and skill that should be the bare minimum for someone to be considered a "good" player.
xyzor

Postby gwayne » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:39 am

Also agreed. If people can't run from enfeeble, or follow the spotter, then do you really want them trying to deal with shatter? Or avoiding spout...

Anyway there's still some satisfaction from downing prince after dancing around infernals. The problem with the "safe" spots in my opinion is they are make or break; if you get a bad infernal then it's usually game over. If you are all prepared to move you can win even when every infernal tries to land on your head.
Gwayne
<CTSamurai>
Neptulon-EU
gwayne

Next

Return to Karazhan