Remove Advertisements

[10/25] Ruby Sanctum - Halion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10/25] Ruby Sanctum - Halion

Postby baleogthefierce » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:55 am

Xenix wrote:Edit: My god, I didn't realize you meant that tank was literally clicking every ability in his rotation. Jeez, that -is- painful to watch. Wonder if he was trolling for the video or that's actually normal for him, lol. :shock:

Soon after this video was released, Blizzard cancelled firstname/lastname for RealID forum accounts.

He proved to the world that you don't need anonymity on the WoW forums for world-class trolling.
baleogthefierce

Postby Mandrollen » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:09 pm

Maybe I missed it going through the pages on this thread but what about gear selection for these fights? 10/25

I have yet to go through and see what damage I took most, shadow or physical, while tanking Halion in Twilight.

I'm considering playing with my Sindragosa magic set next time.

When we downed Halion on normal I was always in my max stam set.

What are your opinions?
Mandrollen

Postby superworm » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:36 pm

I prefer max stamina set. Resistance gear is not necessary and Halion doesn't hit too hard.
superworm

Postby Treck » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:58 am

I dont know about normal mode, but for heroic mode, getting breaths are a good thing, since when casting he cant parry haste you, and the breath does half the damage a normal hit does, making it easier for healers.
If your tanking halion and the big fire add, well armor doesnt work for that, it helps for halions attacks, but then again the fireadd doesnt really do that much damage.
Treck

Postby pfunkmort » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:08 am

also relevant is the level of corporeality you plan to be up against. I mean...tonight in 10 heroic, when my side would get to like 30%, halion started hitting for 3500 post absorb. likewise, he starts meleeing you like a champ if he gets too...body...having...

So realistically, while I could understand the idea behind a magic resist set, weigh any gimping you're going to do to your armor value based around what you think the real world raid environment will look like (zomg - p3 and I have a healer down...now I'm getting hit like a truck, etc etc etc). I'm not giving you an answer...just a thought.
[2.Trade][Alessan]: Is WoW becoming an online kart racer in 4.0.3?
[2.Trade][Tehron]: Yes
pfunkmort

Postby pfunkmort » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:49 am

Treck wrote:I dont know about normal mode, but for heroic mode, getting breaths are a good thing, since when casting he cant parry haste you, and the breath does half the damage a normal hit does, making it easier for healers.
If your tanking halion and the big fire add, well armor doesnt work for that, it helps for halions attacks, but then again the fireadd doesnt really do that much damage.

The fire adds have this ability http://www.wowhead.com/spell=75887. It translates to approximately 5k aura ticks every 2 seconds post resist with a resist aura. More importantly, the Living Infernos have a melee attack, which is resistable, blockable, absorbable fire damage. But the living infernos are lvl 82, so...you don't get hit that often. However, it still does happen - maybe half a dozen times a fight...maybe more like a dozen. It's a 20k pre absorb hit (about) and with resist, absorb and block, should only be getting to you at about 10k. It's small, but couple that with a tick from the aura, and you have 15k extra health to come up with to stay alive - on top of the inc damage from halion.
[2.Trade][Alessan]: Is WoW becoming an online kart racer in 4.0.3?
[2.Trade][Tehron]: Yes
pfunkmort

Postby Rhiannon » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:48 am

I hard-capped my expertise for tanking inside, parry-haste gibs were annoying.
Rhiannon

Postby Ulrik » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:43 am

Just eyeballing damage taken in recount looks to me like the physical is something like 65-70% of total. Sure the breaths are bursty but the melee is hard and consistent.

We're (f-k knows why) using a 4 tank strat where I'm P1 Fire (not holding add), P2 Shadow, P3 Shadow. Apparently I 'always take less damage' then the others which is cool, but makes me feel bad when the other guys collapse in 30-60 sec when they go back to fire realm. (25 Hero)

I've also had a paranoid episode and decided to hard cap expert. Once I took a look at all the gear available I was surprised how doable it is. If you're thinking about it don't forget the +40 food.
Ulrik

Postby Faro » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:53 pm

Is hardcapping really that large of a concern for everyone? I haven't seen enough of downstairs to really get a feel for it, but it tends to be healable damage. I do have an expertise hardcap set available for use, just wondering what everyone else is thinking.
"Safiyas, if you don't stop screwing up I'm going to replace you with someone that has a Y chromosome." -Laethalas
Nikachelle on the Jewelcrafting Nerf- "Called my boyfriend up and told him. Think I ruined his day. :s"
Faro

Postby Rhiannon » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:11 pm

Partly it was because of a few of my melee creeping forward too much when rotating and generating parries themselves, but after seeing several deaths as a result of two 30-40k swings landing a second apart I got fed up and hardcapped it.
Rhiannon

Postby knaughty » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:11 am

Ugh - hard cap?

*sexy voice*

What are you wearing?

I'm pretty sure I have everything to pick from, but I haven't been anywhere near hard-cap since I was wearing ToGC gear.

Only things I can think of that I'm missing are the 277 set pants (have 264, other 4 bits are my 277-4-piece) and Blood Quuen won't drop her heroic shield so I'm using the 264 one.
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Postby Epimer » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:02 am

Meloree wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zevzPlao1b8&feature=player_embedded

I'm really late with this one, but man. Maybe people are being too harsh on the guy. Maybe he's a pioneer! Can we get Theck to run some numbers on the 9pauseAS66pause9696996pause6699pausepauseclickgrid6 rotation, please? He might be on to something.
Epimer

Postby knaughty » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:23 am

Meloree wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zevzPlao1b8&feature=player_embedded

Tankspot's guide is relatively good. Just close your eyes when it cuts to the paladin tank's PoV.

I only just saw it... showing it to my guild so they can stop complaining about me!

How the FUCK does he hold his spot in a top 100 guild? I've kicked people for far less. Super-amazingly-long-term-veterans who start to suck that hard get "Retired" slots, rather than a g-kick.
baleogthefierce wrote:At least he's putting Armsman to good use.

Don't worry! He's switched to Mongoose!
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Postby Rhiannon » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:29 am

knaughty wrote:Ugh - hard cap?

*sexy voice*

What are you wearing?

I'm pretty sure I have everything to pick from, but I haven't been anywhere near hard-cap since I was wearing ToGC gear.

ToGC gear ;). Actually bought the t10 legs just for this, that plus ToGC expertise cloak. Once LK drops another Mithrios I'll have a bit more freedom. Obviously I lost a fair chunk of armor by taking this approach; I felt that bigger hits every 2 seconds guaranteed was easier to heal than slightly smaller hits with the risk of them landing a second apart.

With slightly more gear/another cd (e.g. 4t10.277) it's possible I may have had enough EH to reliably survive the parry haste events that were killing me, or simply that with more experience our healers would have got used to the damage profile a bit better, kept inspiration/ancestral up more reliably, etc. This approach worked for us, I'm sure it's not necessary though. If all else fails you can stop attacking when rotating.
Rhiannon

Postby Treck » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:10 am

BTW, its far from unknown, but a lot of people might have missed it.
Theres no need to struggle in the SoV glyph into your mainspecc, as long as your secondary has it.
Just specc your secondary specc, refresh your seal, and specc back. As long as the SoV isnt renewed/replaced, you will get the 10exp nomatter if the glyph is in your current specc or not.
I found HoSalv glyph+ DP glyph and Avenger shield glyph to be really good on this boss, esp when you can get SoV glyph and the other 3.
Avenger shield is ofc for tanking boss+add, and if your staying out from P1, salv is very usefull to reduce damage while not having any trouble keeping threat on the boss (watch when tanking add tho)
The big add cant be taunted, so tauntglyph doesnt do anything for you there.

I dont really see that much use of going all out for exp, if you can keep pretty much the same gear level then sure, and the glyph is really nice.
Besides, if your tanking in the shadowrealm odds are much bigger its one of the dpsers attacks that gets parried, and nomatter your exp, wont help that :S
Treck

PreviousNext

Return to T10: Icecrown Citadel