My future Protect spec

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

My future Protect spec

Postby Vortigern » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:09 am

http://www.maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/

It's mostly a typical tankadin spec however I've peppered it with a few support PvP items such as Guardians Favor and 1 pt in Improved Conc aura.

What do you think? :wink:
Vortigern

Postby Lore » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:17 am

I've been trying to spec maintankadin.failsafedesign.com for a while, but my guild won't let me =(
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Vortigern » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:20 am

/e slap

doh.. sorry... :oops:

Here's my spec.

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=aZVGzIxddggqzVbx
Vortigern

Postby Lightskin » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:46 am

Drop
- Imp Conc Aura
- Imp Hoj
- Imp BoP

Add
5/5 Armor Toughness

Armor toughness is very important, those other stat points are not necessary.

Not too sure about a 'hybrid' pvp build because if you spec prot, you more than likely won't be able to contribute much to the table...

Your build looks like you want to go full prot and then pick up some random PVP talents, I would much rather say don't gimp yourself and pay 50g to respec back and forth to be more useful.
Lightskin

Postby Vortigern » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:31 pm

I can agree with you on on Bop and conc aura .. but I have found the quick cool down to be handy in some multiple mob pulls gone bad situations.
Vortigern

Postby Sabindeus » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:38 am

If you are planning to tank anything larger than a 5 man, Toughness is nonoptional. You must take it. If you're speccing 0/49/12 to just tank 5 mans, I think you need to reconsider your priorities.

Guardian's Favor is one of those nice to have talents. Occasionally it will save your butt, but it is not necessary to the maintankadin build. Neither is Imp Conc or Imp HoJ.

Imp HoJ I find is more useful than Guardian's Favor for those "multiple mob pulls gone bad" things.

1 point in Imp Conc Aura is just silly.
Sabindeus

Postby Vortigern » Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:39 pm

Here's what I settled on.. the dry, but effective, paladin tank build I figure everyone has.

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=aZVhtIx0dggqzVbx
Vortigern

Postby Baelor » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:47 pm

Vortigern wrote:Here's what I settled on.. the dry, but effective, paladin tank build I figure everyone has.

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=aZVhtIx0dggqzVbx

Yup, that's the "cookie cutter" maintankadin spec. Good luck have fun!
I am the light that brings the dawn.
Something Wicked this way comes.
Formerly: Baelor of Runetotem-US (2006-2007) | Cathmor of Malfurion-US (2007-2010)
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby Thels » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:18 am

I still dislike Ardent Defender in that cookie build. I prefer something I can count on myself. IDA seems better, despite it's minor bonus. Nice that I get less damage when I'm almost dead, but I shouldn't be there in the first place, and I'm bound to still get oneshot.
ImageImage
Thels

Postby jere » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:49 am

I have found Ardent Defender to be invaluable on fights like the prince where he is hitting really fast (and your healers cannot keep you topped off all the time).

Considering it strengthens us against fast, lower dmg bosses (like improved holy shield does), I think I will keep it and keep my niche going. Great against the big hitters? Probably not, but then I tank lots of things and I like the versatility it brings for me.
jere

Postby Lore » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:17 pm

Almost dead happens a lot more than you think once you start getting into the really heavy stuff. Ardent Defender gives you a little bit of a buffer zone that helps make up for your lower HP compared to a Warrior.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Minn » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:50 pm

Thels wrote:I still dislike Ardent Defender in that cookie build. I prefer something I can count on myself. IDA seems better, despite it's minor bonus. Nice that I get less damage when I'm almost dead, but I shouldn't be there in the first place, and I'm bound to still get oneshot.

My problem with IDA is that you're spending talent points on your groupmembers. I believe that if devotion aura were a single target, paladin-only buff, the amount of armor provided by a single talent point invested would be higher than it is for the current version. In some situations it isn't a total waste: say you and 2 other tanks are stacked with a warlock and resto druid, or in heroics where the extra armor on a cloth wearer may allow them to survive an extra hit. However, as a talent point investment for a "Main Tank" I'm not convinced.

The other nice thing about Ardent Defender is fantastic synergy with blocking. When you're in the red zone, all of your block value is scaled up in effectiveness. With Holy Shield pretty much guaranteeing things have to get through your shield to damage you, this is a big deal.
Minn

Return to Basic Training & Talents