[BG PvP] Looking for a quick suggestion...

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[BG PvP] Looking for a quick suggestion...

Postby Goins2754 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:59 pm

Greetings all,

I've stated before in other threads that I have a real deep, burning hatred for death. Dying in game just pisses me off and after about five good roflstomps in a row I'm usually so heated that I have to walk away from my computer for a while. It's a personality quirk that I've learned to just deal with, but battlegrounds still confound me.

In your experienced opinions, what would be the best way for me to go about playing in battlegrounds? As I level up, should I just wait until 80 before I start doing battlegrounds? I can run dungeons back-to-back and buy my lower tier PvP gear with emblems. Then I can start my battleground career with decent gear. I do okay in arena in skirmishes, so I think that with some gear & some help (maybe only do battlegrounds with a few friends) I can make it through these things without rage-tossing my keyboard into a fire.

What would be your suggestions to help someone like me deal with battlegrounds? And "don't do them" isn't an acceptable answer. :) I want to be good at all aspects of the game...including PvP.
Goins2754

Re: [BG PvP] Looking for a quick suggestion...

Postby warden » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:52 pm

Find a good friend to pocket heal for you. Also, WSG and AB will have a smaller chance of you getting ganged up on by a retarded number of enemies at once than AV.

"Don't facepalm at me... Ret paladins don't facepalm each other. Its against the code!" -Anafielle
warden
Maintankadonor

Postby vertinog » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:34 am

Warden wrote:Find a good friend to pocket heal for you.

This.

Also protect the healer and take attention away from the healer in any way you can. This will keep the healer happy and healing you.
vertinog

Postby econ21 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:53 am

Generally, I would wait until level 80. It's quite a grind to get full PvP gear - which will greatly enhance your survivability - from honour, so you may as well get the level 80 stuff. Once you hit 80, running Wintergrasp for the weekly quests will provide a nice boost. And yes, you may find yourself buying furious gear with spare emblems of triumph from heroics, after you have all the PvE stuff you want.

Winning an Alterac Valley victory gives a very nice spear at level 50, if you are levelling ret. It's also a fun battleground for a tank.

By the way, I would rather dispute your premise - dying is inevitable in BGs and not always to be feared. Often you respawn so quickly - and with full health/mana - that it is almost to be welcomed.
econ21

Postby Goins2754 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:39 pm

econ21 wrote:By the way, I would rather dispute your premise - dying is inevitable in BGs and not always to be feared. Often you respawn so quickly - and with full health/mana - that it is almost to be welcomed.

It's not the death that annoys me so much, it's the real lack of a penalty. Every game I've played since Atari 2600 has had a penalty. Maybe you only get 3 deaths, maybe you lose something or start back at the beginning of a level. Something. WoW only issues a very, VERY paltry fine for dying. It annoys me so much. I wish they'd make a rule like "3 deaths & you're out of the BG" or something. Anything other than "here, try again." That's what really eats at my soul.
Goins2754

Postby vertinog » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:03 pm

Goins2754 wrote:WoW only issues a very, VERY paltry fine for dying. It annoys me so much. I wish they'd make a rule like "3 deaths & you're out of the BG" or something. Anything other than "here, try again." That's what really eats at my soul.

Maybe wow isn't the game for you then. Your example rule would make it so a mass zerge by one team and a camping of a graveyard would be enough to win the BG. Have you tried warhammer or any other pvp oriented mmo?
vertinog

Postby 1zabest » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:16 pm

Try Runescape so you can lose all your gear when you die in PVP.

/sarcasm
80 / Prot Pally / Gundrak
1zabest

Postby aranil » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:28 pm

I agree. If you can't stand not being penizled for dying, then don't play wow. In massive BGs, people have to die, and sometimes things happen that just kinda screw you. "Oh hey, there is their flag carrier....and the other team" Rogues can be bastards as well *tucks his PVPing rogue into the shadows* but just enjoy the ganking.

also, play a healer. My disc priest did some PVPing, and the feeling of immortally was awesome. Even in 98% PVE gear, I was hell to kill and I was just an annoying bastard to the allaince, bubbling like it was going out of style.
aranil

Postby Skye1013 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:07 am

aranil wrote:I agree. If you can't stand not being penizled for dying, then don't play wow. In massive BGs, people have to die, and sometimes things happen that just kinda screw you. "Oh hey, there is their flag carrier....and the other team" Rogues can be bastards as well *tucks his PVPing rogue into the shadows* but just enjoy the ganking.

also, play a healer. My disc priest did some PVPing, and the feeling of immortally was awesome. Even in 98% PVE gear, I was hell to kill and I was just an annoying bastard to the allaince, bubbling like it was going out of style.

Leveling a disc priest in BGs and I have the AB trinket and herbalism... you'd be amazed at how much that will save you in those instances that you're oom and running with the flag. Not to mention if you happen to be a draenei with their lovely Gift (mine is Forsaken, so woe be to the one who tries to fear me with my 3 "trinkets" :twisted: )
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes