Avatar: The Last Airbender (Movie)

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Avatar: The Last Airbender (Movie)

Postby Lightbeard » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:07 am

Was Admiral Zhao in the movie btw? If not then who the hell led the attack on the Water Tribe
Lightbeard

Postby mew » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:25 am

Lightbeard wrote:Was Admiral Zhao in the movie btw? If not then who the hell led the attack on the Water Tribe

He was the main villain.
I had a friend that just couldn't take him seriously, he is kind of a funny looking guy.
ImageImage
mew

Postby Lightbeard » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:39 am

You know I'm glad Bumi wasn't in the movie. They would've raped the character I bet if he was.
Lightbeard

Postby Garov » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:36 pm

Zhao was Assif Mandvi. The Middle Eastern reporter from Comedy Central.I honestly think the only thing that qualified him for the part was "Hey, he looks like he lives in sand. Let's cast him!"

1. Casting: Horrible. No consistency. If you're going to make the fire nation middle eastern make them ALL middle eastern with maybe a sprinkling of diversity. There's no reason it should be a gigantic cauldron of ethnic diversity if we're trying to base it on the avatar world. No clue how Kitara got past the initial casting call. If she was the best they had they were pathetic. Aang looked ok, but was horribly over the top in almost anything he tried to deliver. Zuko was not angry enough. While Iroh wasn't the jolly fat man I think the guy portraying him did a good job. I really only could take Iroh, Sokka, and Azula seriously. And Azula's only on the screen for about 15 seconds. WHERE IS THE MOON SPIRIT?! HOW THE HELL DO YOU CUT THE MOON SPIRIT!? OoooOOOoo we'll replace the moon spirit with a threatening wave. Bs.

2. Story: Ok, He's got 2 hours to cram an entire season's worth of awesome goodness into. Alot had to get cut. Fine, understandable. Cut Zhao blowing up the ship and spend 2 more minutes establishing Sokka and the water Princess. Yeuh I think her name was. That was an important step in Sokka's growth. Kiyoshi warriors were a harsh cut. Supposedly they'll be in the next one. Still, Kiyoshi warriors show up in like the 3rd episode of the 1st season. They're extremely important and crucial to the rest of the story. The movie doesn't really portray the Fire Nation as evil as it should. You just sorta feel like the Fire Nation are bad people. Not a conquering kingdom out to rule the world. Instead of Kitara's annoying beginning naration, show the 15 seconds worth of Fire Nation soldiers marching over the land like the cartoon opening credits do. Bam, problem fixed.

3. Bending: Good but bad. The actual effects were nice, but nothing was in sync. The Master Water Bender has to spend 10 seconds of gesturing for the
water to do what he wants? That was actually my main gripe with all the bending. It was like the FX guys didn't even watch the reels of actors movements and just decided to splice in the elements 5-10 seconds after the character started their movements. Also, when a group of people were gesturing no one was in time with anyone else. They had different stances and slightly different movements. The little champs class in my Tae Kwon Do school can synchronize better than these actors. Except for the stomping earth benders. They were the only ones sync'd up correctly with each other and they're effects.

4. Pronunciations: WHY change this? He had to know anyone that's watched the cartoons would cringe anytime someone said "So Ka" instead of "saka".

My only plus is my son is now interested in the cartoons and I can sit and watch my Avatar dvd's with him and explain all the wrongness of the movie.
Garov

Postby mew » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:09 pm

Garov wrote:Except for the stomping earth benders. They were the only ones sync'd up correctly with each other and they're effects.

They were amazing! That one crew in some kind of pyramid formation. But then nothing happened with their martial arts :( A rock just kind of flew by.

Re: Assif Mandvi - Ahhh, that's where I've seen that guy. I was confused about M Night's casting sand people as the fire nation. I understand the Zuko is really a hero character, but I wouldn't expect M Night to do anything that could be playing in to the relatively new racism against brown people "fad".

1.Katara was the worst. That "inspirational speech" part in the earth bender camp was the worst part of the whole movie.

2. I think with how crammed it was there was no way to get the Kyoshi warriors in there in any way that would do them justice.

3. Glad to know it wasn't just me thinking that the martial arts were lacking.

4. I really don't know either... It was a bad decision (culturally correct v original show correct).

Edit: After marathoning the show for 10 hours, the movie is all around dull if you compare it to the show, but if you don't do that and try to take it on its own then it's not that bad.
Last edited by mew on Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
mew

Postby faithlessnub » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:43 pm

For those that have seen the movie, ive been noticing in the trailers and previews that zuko doesnt seem to have he scar on the left side of his face, does he have it in the movie?
With great power comes great current squared times resistance
faithlessnub

Postby mew » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:34 am

faithlessnub wrote:For those that have seen the movie, ive been noticing in the trailers and previews that zuko doesnt seem to have he scar on the left side of his face, does he have it in the movie?

It's a little hard to see, it's not as obviously pronounced as in the show, but he does have it. It's most noticeable where some of his hair got burned off on the left side.
ImageImage
mew

Postby Shoju » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:46 am

mew wrote:Alright so.... After actually seeing the movie, I have come to the conclusion that all the people doing nothing but complaining about this movie are just nerdraging fan boys/girls.

It's ok, I will accept that I'm a fanboy of this series.

Although not the best, it was a good movie. There were some choices that I am confused about (for example the need to swap all the races around and the sudden change to the more "correct" pronunciation of words like "avatar" and probably the character names), but the movie did a good job at adjusting to mainstream audiences while also keeping along the same lines of the show (they didn't alter any major plot points that I can remember, although it has been a while since I saw the series).
There were no parts that were too slow and some parts felt a bit rushed (there were quite a few awkward scenes and transitions), so they definitely could not have fit popular non-main plot things like the Kyoshi warriors or more about Appa and Momo in there. I would liked to have seen more Appa action :(

The thing is, they have been talking for some time about this being a 3-4 movie kind of thing. Bumi, the Kyoshi Warriors, these are all MAJOR parts of the show that you can't just shoehorn back in there. Ok, maybe Bumi, but the Kyoshi Warriors? That was the major plot changing device for Sokka in S1, and his relationship with tsuki comes back in both s2 and s3, and there is actually a 1hr movie event in s3 revolving around her. It is how Azula gains entrance to Ba Sing Se in S2. These are more than just "non-main plot things"

There was a lot of bad acting and dialogue, I didn't like Katara or Aang's actors/characters. I think my favorite character of the three was actually Sokka. He wasn't "funny" like in the show, but he was completely over the top and useless in the show; it wouldn't make any sense to put a character in to such a packed full length film that is there primarily for comedic purposes (which is kind of what Sokka is in the first season, he develops a lot more in the later two). I am biased though because I didn't enjoy the extreme child humor that was Sokka in the TV show, but it's understandable because it is a kid's show, so I was really glad to see that not there :V I thought he was still somewhat comedic.

The acting was...... HORRID. it was as if M. Night ran his casting call as a first xxx people to show up with the prize kind of thing, and the script was atrocious.

My only other big complaint is the way they did the bending (This might be a spoiler? I don't know). They would do all their moves, and then the elements would bend; it felt like a fighting game where you have to get your combo off before your special move actually happens. There wasn't the cool build up as they go along, so you also couldn't follow the bending with the moves.
Also I am too used to kung fu movies so I was slightly disappointed by the quality of the moves :(

Big change. Not a good change either. I was completely frustrated by this.

tl;dr: It was a good fun movie with some flaws. There were some changes from the show that were questionable but nothing majorly ruining.[/quote]

My tl:dr: my fanboy self with minimal filmmaking experience (I have done some short stuff) could have made a better flick.

I give it a very Firm C-
Shoju

Postby mew » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:40 am

Shoju wrote:The thing is, they have been talking for some time about this being a 3-4 movie kind of thing. Bumi, the Kyoshi Warriors, these are all MAJOR parts of the show that you can't just shoehorn back in there. Ok, maybe Bumi, but the Kyoshi Warriors? That was the major plot changing device for Sokka in S1, and his relationship with tsuki comes back in both s2 and s3, and there is actually a 1hr movie event in s3 revolving around her. It is how Azula gains entrance to Ba Sing Se in S2. These are more than just "non-main plot things"

My tl:dr: my fanboy self with minimal filmmaking experience (I have done some short stuff) could have made a better flick.

I've been rewatching the whole series this weekend and I understand that those are major plot points, introducing them all of a sudden in the second movie would also be very plot breaking. But how would they have been able to fit those in with everything else going on? (I liked Garov's comment earlier about removing the Zuko boat explosion to give time to develop Sokka and moon girl's relationship)
The big problem here is that you cannot condense over 6 hours of show in to a 2 hour movie.

There were a lot of things we already mentioned that were unforgivable though (actors, dialogue, bending, etc).
I also had completely forgotten about moon beast, there was no reason to replace that with a big wave. I understand if they wanted to focus on the "I'm not a killer" aspect of Ang, but they could have used the moon monster as a threat instead of a wave.

After rewatching the show (I hadn't seen it in a few years) I have realized that the movie is extremely dull in every way when compared to it. But stand-alone it's not that bad (not worse than Eragon at least).
ImageImage
mew

Postby Melathys » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:29 pm

I watched the movie yesterday. without any expectations, i rather enjoyed it.

Just started watching the series today. I have to agree, the show is far more entertaining, and it is regrettable that they removed much of the show's humor in the movie. imo, thats what makes the show that much more fun to watch.
Melathys

Postby Marwan » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:51 am

Garov wrote:4. Pronunciations: WHY change this? He had to know anyone that's watched the cartoons would cringe anytime someone said "So Ka" instead of "saka".

Here's Shyamalan explaining why he changed the pronunciation of the characters’ names ...

M. Night Shyamalan wrote:For me, the whole point of making the adaptation was to ground it deeper in reality. So I pronounced the names as Asians would. It’s just impossible to pronounce Aang the way it is used in the series. It’s incorrect! I can’t do it. So I just pronounced it correctly…Aang isn’t “Ayng,” it’s “Ahng.” Iraq isn’t “Ee-rack,” it’s “Ee-rock.” It’s an opportunity. I don’t have to make the film for little kids on Cartoon Network; I’m making it for the world. And 85 percent of the people who are going to see this movie have probably never seen the show, and I want it to be legitimate. I’m Asian. What can I do?

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2010/07/ ... -airbender

Reading that made me feel less bad for him that this movie is doing terribly. I really hope that if they decide to actually make the other two films that they let someone else write and direct. Or at least write it, as the screenwriting is arguably the worst part.
Marwan

Postby Shoju » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:41 am

Marwan wrote:
Garov wrote:4. Pronunciations: WHY change this? He had to know anyone that's watched the cartoons would cringe anytime someone said "So Ka" instead of "saka".

Here's Shyamalan explaining why he changed the pronunciation of the characters’ names ...

M. Night Shyamalan wrote:For me, the whole point of making the adaptation was to ground it deeper in reality. So I pronounced the names as Asians would. It’s just impossible to pronounce Aang the way it is used in the series. It’s incorrect! I can’t do it. So I just pronounced it correctly…Aang isn’t “Ayng,” it’s “Ahng.” Iraq isn’t “Ee-rack,” it’s “Ee-rock.” It’s an opportunity. I don’t have to make the film for little kids on Cartoon Network; I’m making it for the world. And 85 percent of the people who are going to see this movie have probably never seen the show, and I want it to be legitimate. I’m Asian. What can I do?

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2010/07/ ... -airbender

Reading that made me feel less bad for him that this movie is doing terribly. I really hope that if they decide to actually make the other two films that they let someone else write and direct. Or at least write it, as the screenwriting is arguably the worst part.

He wanted them to pronounce the names right, because that is important. But it isn't important enough to stick to the idea that these were more chinese/japanese/korean asians than middle eastern asians right?

And one thing I forgot to touch on WTF is up with the water tribe being white?!

So we have:

Fire Nation - middle east
Earth Kingdom - Far east
Water tribe - Caucasian
Air Nomads - What exactly is he supposed to be?

And then he couldn't even keep to a specific nationality within them? Whatever. It is my firm belief that Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko should find M. Night Shamalamahackjob and punch him right in the face.
Shoju

Postby mew » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:44 am

Shoju wrote:He wanted them to pronounce the names right, because that is important. But it isn't important enough to stick to the idea that these were more chinese/japanese/korean asians than middle eastern asians right?

And one thing I forgot to touch on WTF is up with the water tribe being white?!

So we have:

Fire Nation - middle east
Earth Kingdom - Far east
Water tribe - Caucasian
Air Nomads - What exactly is he supposed to be?

And then he couldn't even keep to a specific nationality within them? Whatever. It is my firm belief that Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko should find M. Night Shamalamahackjob and punch him right in the face.
I totally told you guys about the pronunciations a while back :V

There are interviews about the races he picked. He says the brown fire nation was because he cast Slumdog kid as Zuko; I think originally Zuko was supposed to be someone else but I forget what happened? And because he was brown the rest of the nation had to look similar. (As I mentioned before, I think he should have avoided making the villain race brown)

Basically what he said was that there aren't actually any white people in the show (all the kingdoms are various types of Asian). Even in the movie they are a minority, so he wanted to give them some part (but the same can be said for Inuit/Native American looking, and he took their part away). Personally, I think this was a sacrifice to attempt gain more mass appeal; he could both add more white people and get two white protagonists in the same move.
As for Aang, he said after the kid's audition he just knew that that kid had to play Aang (something like that).
That kid had an incredibly creepy face...

He didn't really have any good justifications. If they do a second one it'll be interesting to see if Toph is white or Asian.
ImageImage
mew

Postby Flex » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:23 am

mew wrote:He didn't really have any good justifications.

The original casting call specifically mentioned "Caucasian or any other ethnicity" for the lead role. http://www.humblecomics.com/blog/index. ... 524-195255 needs sourcing though =/

Sources http://vejiicakes.livejournal.com/255699.html
Last edited by Flex on Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Garov » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:27 am

They're so going to ruin Toph. I guess we should start getting used to her being called Tofe too.
Garov

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum