Remove Advertisements

Avatar: The Last Airbender (Movie)

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Avatar: The Last Airbender (Movie)

Postby faithlessnub » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:03 pm

Shoju wrote:the animated series is quite possibly one of the best of its kind. It is incredibly deep, with a very rich story, and a great build up that leaves you in suspense at all the right times.

Sure, there are some 'meh' or 'ok' episodes, but those are made up for by all the amazing story points, great adventures, and fantastic episodes that soon follow them up.

I was afraid that M. Night would ruin it. I'm still going to see it, but I think that I will take my kids with me the first time, and not worry about trying to enjoy it on my own first. It is clear that I will not.

The deep story, according to my local paper at least, is one of the major problems of the movie. The is a lot to try to tell in the course of a movie especially to those that haven't watched the show.

My other concern would be did they get the comedic aspect from Sokka right. He was my favorite character with Iroh in at a close second.

More then likely wont see it in theaters until it gets moved to the cheaper places in town
With great power comes great current squared times resistance
faithlessnub

Postby Shoju » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:31 pm

For me it is

Iroh
King Bumi (sp?)
Zuko
Toph
Shoju

Postby Chunes » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:46 pm

Thank you for saving me 20 bucks this weekend :3
Chunes

Postby Marwan » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:49 pm

faithlessnub wrote:My other concern would be did they get the comedic aspect from Sokka right. He was my favorite character with Iroh in at a close second.

You're going to be pretty disappointed when you find out that movie Sokka isn't funny.

Devindra Hardawar wrote:Sokka is simply boring. Shyamalan removed much of the series’ slapstick comedy for the film, which subsequently erased a big part of Sokka’s personality.

http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/07/02/the ... malan-fan/
Marwan

Postby Belloc » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:11 pm

I rather enjoyed the movie, having never seen the series. I imagine that the movie will be ruined for me when I watch the series, though.

This is probably like my experience with The Lovely Bones. The book is my favorite book of all time and I absolutely despised every second of the movie.
Belloc

Postby faithlessnub » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:47 pm

Marwan wrote:
faithlessnub wrote:My other concern would be did they get the comedic aspect from Sokka right. He was my favorite character with Iroh in at a close second.

You're going to be pretty disappointed when you find out that movie Sokka isn't funny.

.... they made him serious? :( guess i wont see it anytime soon then
With great power comes great current squared times resistance
faithlessnub

Postby Hayz » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:25 pm

Think my favorite characters would have to be:
1. Iroh
2. Bumi
3. Toph (especially when dealing with the two earth kingdom guys following her)
4. kyoshi warriors
5. zuko and azula (just for the sheer badassery of shooting fire and lightning at everything...I like fire)
Deathknights are whores! They're cheap, easy, and spread diseases.
OOM, pulling more trash.
Its alright, I'm a Paladin!
They can't stop us let 'em try, for heavy metal we will die!
Hayz

Postby Gracerath » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:03 am

No cabbage cart = fail.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby Arjuna » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:24 am

meanwhile, in a not so distant future...

...too bad it's only fanart...
HUZZAH! How many points do I receive? :D
Arjuna

Postby Namaztak » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:28 pm

Saw the midnight show in 3D a couple nights ago and raged nonstop.

Also:
1 Toph
2 Azula
3 Iroh
4 Bumi

Bumi was entirely absent, as well as the entire city of Omashu. So much was missing.
Namaztak

Postby Shamora » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:01 pm

My favorite is that big fluffy flying beaver mammoth thing.
Hearthstone Arena Stats
Server: PVP US Warsong, Horde - <Orbit>
Main: Keondra, Delver of the Vaults, Lvl 90 Assassination Rogue
Shamora

Postby Lightbeard » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:23 pm

Namaztak wrote:Saw the midnight show in 3D a couple nights ago and raged nonstop.

Also:
1 Toph
2 Azula
3 Iroh
4 Bumi

Bumi was entirely absent, as well as the entire city of Omashu. So much was missing.

If they were planning on making a sequel King Bumi and Omashu were a huge part because they get taken over later on. If they only planned on this movie then they weren't extremely important.
Lightbeard

Postby mew » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:30 pm

Alright so.... After actually seeing the movie, I have come to the conclusion that all the people doing nothing but complaining about this movie are just nerdraging fan boys/girls.

Although not the best, it was a good movie. There were some choices that I am confused about (for example the need to swap all the races around and the sudden change to the more "correct" pronunciation of words like "avatar" and probably the character names), but the movie did a good job at adjusting to mainstream audiences while also keeping along the same lines of the show (they didn't alter any major plot points that I can remember, although it has been a while since I saw the series).
There were no parts that were too slow and some parts felt a bit rushed (there were quite a few awkward scenes and transitions), so they definitely could not have fit popular non-main plot things like the Kyoshi warriors or more about Appa and Momo in there. I would liked to have seen more Appa action :(

There was a lot of bad acting and dialogue, I didn't like Katara or Aang's actors/characters. I think my favorite character of the three was actually Sokka. He wasn't "funny" like in the show, but he was completely over the top and useless in the show; it wouldn't make any sense to put a character in to such a packed full length film that is there primarily for comedic purposes (which is kind of what Sokka is in the first season, he develops a lot more in the later two). I am biased though because I didn't enjoy the extreme child humor that was Sokka in the TV show, but it's understandable because it is a kid's show, so I was really glad to see that not there :V I thought he was still somewhat comedic.

My only other big complaint is the way they did the bending (This might be a spoiler? I don't know). They would do all their moves, and then the elements would bend; it felt like a fighting game where you have to get your combo off before your special move actually happens. There wasn't the cool build up as they go along, so you also couldn't follow the bending with the moves.
Also I am too used to kung fu movies so I was slightly disappointed by the quality of the moves :(

tl;dr: It was a good fun movie with some flaws. There were some changes from the show that were questionable but nothing majorly ruining.
ImageImage
mew

Postby Zonzede » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:20 am

For reference, I've not seen a single episode of the series.
I was brought along with some of my friends to see it, as they were quite looking forward to it, I was absolutely bored to death throughout the entire thing. I wouldn't call this a grave offense to film making, it's just so incredibly dull. There's also lots of points where it seems like there should have been a semi-important scene, but was deleted for some reason so the movie felt disjointed.
We went to see it in 3D, which was a waste of money also. It's the sort of 3D you get when they make a movie with absolutely no intention to do it in 3D, but the studios decide to put it in anyway.
I honestly can't think of a single positive thing to say about it. There's just nothing there.
Zonzede

Postby mew » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:43 am

Zonzede wrote:For reference, I've not seen a single episode of the series.
I was brought along with some of my friends to see it, as they were quite looking forward to it, I was absolutely bored to death throughout the entire thing. I wouldn't call this a grave offense to film making, it's just so incredibly dull. There's also lots of points where it seems like there should have been a semi-important scene, but was deleted for some reason so the movie felt disjointed.
We went to see it in 3D, which was a waste of money also. It's the sort of 3D you get when they make a movie with absolutely no intention to do it in 3D, but the studios decide to put it in anyway.
I honestly can't think of a single positive thing to say about it. There's just nothing there.

Yeah :( I made sure to not see it in 3D. I think all big movies are going to be doing that now (crappy or good 3D) just to cash in on it.

I got Vanifae watching the cartoon last night, and one thing I did notice is that the characters, while exaggerated in the show, are made too dull in the movie. They dramatically changed Aang's character and Katara had 0 personality.
Also the whole blowing up Zuko in the movie seemed very out of place.

I also go back on my comment about Sokka, I think they could have made him a bit more comedic and it still would have been okay; they could have at least made him somewhat sarcastic.

Was anyone else creeped out by all the extreme closeups of charaters' faces while they talked?

One thing I was also wondering about after the movie (I hadn't thought of it during) is how much of a kid's movie is this? It didn't seem to have any of the childish enjoyable aspects that she show had. Generally they make these kinds of movies appealing to both adults and children, but this one felt like it was more catered to adults (but with bad child acting and lame dialogue).
ImageImage
mew

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum