DPS in tank spec

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

DPS in tank spec

Postby heading » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:32 am

I was wondering the best way to dps in a tank spec, as im a prot/holy paladin, when i tank 25man sometimes im not needed, can people advise how to gear and what roation to follow to put out the best dps, thanks!

Heading
heading

Re: DPS in tank spec

Postby blakk » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:15 am

Mana is what limits this from working very well. Although you can get around it a bit by tossing on an int trinket or two. Basically a slow, high dps weapon with ret gear. With permanent divine plea up and if you have points in SA depending on the fight you get mana there. Drop holy shield completely and only cons if your mana supports it. Use libram of valience. But to be honest you'll get far more with a ret offspec. (I've don't this and with an avereage ilvl of 232 could only do 5k on a heroic tank and spank.
blakk

Postby heading » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:15 am

I would rather not roll ret as i have a rogue and got bored of dpsing very quick.
I will have a play and see, what are your thoughts in holyspec with dps gear?
heading

Postby blakk » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:54 am

Less than both ret and prot.
blakk

Postby Stubblerump » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:10 pm

I'd refer you to:
http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/forum/index.php?f=3&t=28899&rb_v=viewtopic

Pretty much everything for cranking out maximum dps as a tank is covered there.
Stubblerump

Postby yappo » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:54 am

Stubblerump wrote:I'd refer you to:
http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/forum/index.php?f=3&t=28899&rb_v=viewtopic

Pretty much everything for cranking out maximum dps as a tank is covered there.

That guide is still based on you being assigned as a tank. Given the hypothetical setup you have EXACTLY the gear listed in that guide, I'd probably switch the +90 str trinket for the ilevel 245 caster one (128 int). While I don't like dropping 90 str you're still more likely to be manastarved when going prot-dps.

What you CAN do to squeeze out some extra dps is to totally disregard staying uncrittable or having decent hp. Just gem straigth strength (unless you need hit to get that 263) in all sockets unless the socket gives you a good dps bonus.

Anyway, you'll STILL drop below 4k single-target. No reflective damage and no concecration is a big loss. Given ICC content this means:

Marrow: Pretty useless
Deathwhisper: You're tanking this.
Gunship: Decent dps if you're stationed with the homeguard.
Saur: Either pretty useless or you're on taunting/stunning duty, in which case gear doesn't matter.
Fester: Decent dps during raid-damage. Pretty useless during three inhales.
Rotface: You are of more use kiting that second ooze to the kiter-tank than doing lol-dps.
Put: Decent dps if you 'acidentally' stand in goo (your health allows this).
Dreamwalker: You should be holy here.
Princes: Bouncing balls can be done in proper tank-gear.
BQL: I think you're more useful as holy than lol-dps here.

I've never done the last two ones, so can't have an opinion.
yappo

Postby blakk » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:15 am

Actually you can consecrate IF you have divine plea and another source of mana (replenishment or the 245 int trinket with glyph of shor or some glyph like that) so you're losing out on holy shield and Ret aura/thorns. I've been doing over 5-6k with 10m worth of buffs in my pvp setup (gemmed all str, couple bv pieces, mostly ret or pvp gear, gutbuster with mongoose.
blakk

Postby yappo » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:16 am

blakk wrote:Actually you can consecrate IF you have divine plea and another source of mana (replenishment or the 245 int trinket with glyph of shor or some glyph like that) so you're losing out on holy shield and Ret aura/thorns. I've been doing over 5-6k with 10m worth of buffs in my pvp setup (gemmed all str, couple bv pieces, mostly ret or pvp gear, gutbuster with mongoose.

I'm assuming (perhaps incorrectly) that the OP isn't interested in changing anything but gear between tanking duties, healing duties and being the fifth wheel :D

That would include not carrying around extra glyphs.

Anyway, I might be just too conservative with my gear-assesment. Probably because I never roll on ret-gear if equipping it would drop me below uncrittable. My guide is, after all, a tanking-dps guide and not a dps-while-in-prot-spec guide.

On a minor sidenote, wouldn't Berserking on Gutbuster beat Mongoose?
yappo

Postby blakk » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:21 am

It would but the Gutbuster is also my tank weapon >.>
blakk

Postby yappo » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:53 pm

blakk wrote:It would but the Gutbuster is also my tank weapon >.>

Ah, ok. I'm slugging around Quel'delar as my tank-weapon on my "alt-tank" (who's rapidly gearing beyond my main). More stamina to make the EH-people happy. Gutbuster chanted Berserk though.
yappo

Return to Basic Training & Talents